Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Ice Magwell

Corey

Im thinking about trying out one of THESE for my Single stack gun. two questions: Im assuming it'll fit in the Box if put on a 5" Colt? #2: I'm currently running CMC powermags with what seems the normal basepads. Will these be long enough or do I need to look into something a little longer? I know the CMC extended ones will NOT fit in the box (squad mate tried it this past weekend). Ive thougth about new mags as well to try something different so it may a non-issue in the future but for now, will my regular CMC's work? they stick out plenty far enough from my S&A magwell I currently have on the gun.

Thanks!

Corey: I have one coming this week and can fill you in on how it fits on a STI Spartan 45 5" and what will be needed to be done with the mags. I have a box to try it in as well. I am currently using a S&A on that pistol with Wilson 47D's and standard base pads. If the Dawson works for me I will install one on my STI Spartan 9mm using Tripp mags and the new Dawson base pads :cheers: I'll keep you posted. Thanks, Eric

Corey: I have one coming this week and can fill you in on how it fits on a STI Spartan 45 5" and what will be needed to be done with the mags. I have a box to try it in as well. I am currently using a S&A on that pistol with Wilson 47D's and standard base pads. If the Dawson works for me I will install one on my STI Spartan 9mm using Tripp mags and the new Dawson base pads :cheers: I'll keep you posted. Thanks, Eric

Please do! i need to look into those dawson pads as well..

anyone running this setup yet?

Hi Corey,

Yes, you will have no problems using the Chip McCormick Power Mags with their standard base pads in our 1911 Ice Magwell.

And, of course, for the ultimate setup, replace the standard pads with our Dawson Precision base pads in black (part# 002-021) or silver (part# 002-022). These will ensure even more positive seating due to their added length and will still fit the box. B)

-Chet

ETA: The links I had posted earlier were premature. The part numbers listed above will be added to our website soon.

Edited by Dawson Marketing

Chet, that may be just the ticket for me if i stick with my CMC mags. I dont like the tilt im getting with the followers so i may get their power plus followers. thanks for the info!! as soon as my tax check gets here, you may be hearing from me :)

Hi Corey,

Yes, you will have no problems using the Chip McCormick Power Mags with their standard base pads in our 1911 Ice Magwell.

And, of course, for the ultimate setup, replace the standard pads with our Dawson Precision base pads in black (part# 002-021) or silver (part# 002-022). These will ensure even more positive seating due to their added length and will still fit the box. B)

-Chet

ETA: The links I had posted earlier were premature. The part numbers listed above will be added to our website soon.

What you are showing is for the mag well with the gap what if I wanted to run the non gap mag well with Power Mags?

Thanks Tim

Edited to fix my link error in the quote

With our "No Gap" inserts for the 1911 Ice Magwell, you would need to use these base pads in black (part# 002-023) or silver (part#002-024).

As far as gap vs. no-gap, when Dave created the magwell, he left the gap in there so that standard magazines could be used. However, some people didn't want the gap and so we created the full funnel inserts for the no gap. This eliminates the possibility of the mag snagging on the gap and makes for a superior reloading experience. The design requires the specialized base pads mentioned above, but results are well worth it. B)

-Chet

#2: I'm currently running CMC powermags with what seems the normal basepads. Will these be long enough or do I need to look into something a little longer?

As you can see here, the CMC Power Mag will fit in the ICE magwell just fine: post-14972-12694714855_thumb.jpg.

Unfortunately, as you can see from the next picture (yes, the mag is still in there), the basepad will actually be recessed in the mag. post-14972-126947146267_thumb.jpg

So you're going to have to jam those mags WAY in there with a standard basepad. I think the only three choices are to add the extended CMC mag (it adds about 1/4" and SHOULD extend past the mag) and trim to fit, add the extended Wilson pads and trim to fit, or add the Dawsons.

I know the CMC extended ones will NOT fit in the box (squad mate tried it this past weekend).

Which extended pads did he have? They make the screw on baseplates to work with welded bottom mags, but they also make an extended basepad for the Power Mags that looks a little smaller than the screw on version.

With our "No Gap" inserts for the 1911 Ice Magwell, you would need to use these base pads in black (part# 002-023) or silver (part#002-024).

As far as gap vs. no-gap, when Dave created the magwell, he left the gap in there so that standard magazines could be used. However, some people didn't want the gap and so we created the full funnel inserts for the no gap. This eliminates the possibility of the mag snagging on the gap and makes for a superior reloading experience. The design requires the specialized base pads mentioned above, but results are well worth it. B)

-Chet

Could you post a picture of mags with these pads in the magwell, so we can see how much they extend past the bottom of the mag?

Edited to fix my link error in the quote

#2: I'm currently running CMC powermags with what seems the normal basepads. Will these be long enough or do I need to look into something a little longer?

As you can see here, the CMC Power Mag will fit in the ICE magwell just fine: post-14972-12694714855_thumb.jpg.

Unfortunately, as you can see from the next picture (yes, the mag is still in there), the basepad will actually be recessed in the mag. post-14972-126947146267_thumb.jpg

So you're going to have to jam those mags WAY in there with a standard basepad. I think the only three choices are to add the extended CMC mag (it adds about 1/4" and SHOULD extend past the mag) and trim to fit, add the extended Wilson pads and trim to fit, or add the Dawsons.

I know the CMC extended ones will NOT fit in the box (squad mate tried it this past weekend).

Which extended pads did he have? They make the screw on baseplates to work with welded bottom mags, but they also make an extended basepad for the Power Mags that looks a little smaller than the screw on version.

thanks for the pics, pretty helpful.

as for the mags, they were the removable ones i believe, just much longer than mine currently are, long enough to not fit in the box

Hello: I installed the Dawson Ice magwell last night with the gap. The standard Wilson 47D base pads are too short for competition but would be great for carry. I tried the Extended Wilson base pads and they will work just fine with an angle cut to fit the box. I also bought the no gap insert and will try that with some Tripp mags with the new Dawson base pads to fit the no gap insert. I will try the magwell out today and see how it does. Thanks, Eric

One of my good friends shoots a Trojan in 40 S&W and has installed the Dawson Ice 'no gap' magwell. He uses Tripp Research 10mm mags with the Tripp Reasearch aluminum base pads and they function great.

The base pads do extend below the magwell for easy seating and still fit in the IDPA and USPSA boxes.

Several good choices out there.

One of my good friends shoots a Trojan in 40 S&W and has installed the Dawson Ice 'no gap' magwell. He uses Tripp Research 10mm mags with the Tripp Reasearch aluminum base pads and they function great.

The base pads do extend below the magwell for easy seating and still fit in the IDPA and USPSA boxes.

Several good choices out there.

Well Hell, I was just talking with my friend after posting and he said that he had to bevel the front of the aluminum Tripp base pads to fit. unsure.gif

Did not want to pass on any bad info. cheers.gif

I put one on my SS gun. I run Wilson 47D's and had to get the extended base pad. The .350 standard base pad fits

up inside the magwell. I'm pretty enthusiastic with my reloads but I couldn't get them to lock a lot of the time

unless I really worked at it, which kinda is against the whole big magwell thing in the first place.

I got the no gap and had to cut down the front of the basepad to fit in the magwell and the bottom to fit in the

box.

Nothing like taking a grinder to $50 worth of base pads....I love this sport.

Edited by BillD

k, so final stupid question from me on this subject. The Gap vs No-gap is only for the inserts right? one mag well combo then add whatever insert i choose?

N/m, i think i figured it out...

Edited by Corey

Yes, Corey, that's correct. The only difference is the Ice insert. You can purchase one and then get the other insert or just purchase the Magwell/Mainspring Housing/Insert combination that you want. LOTS of options available!

-Chet

Thanks, that's what i thought :)

Any reason why the link above for the no-gap basepads aren't working? And I cant seem to find the DP basepads for CMC mags anywhere on the site either?

ETA: whats the expected life of the inserts? would it be good policy to order an extra at the time of the magwell purchase or should i just wait until its needed?

Edited by Corey

Corey my experience with the Dawson magwell inserts on 3 of my guns that have them is that they last a really long time. In fact I don't know if they ever stop working they just get beat up and look ugly more of a cosmetic thing than an emergency thing.

Hello: If you hit your reloads every time you won't ever have to change the insert :roflol: I like the gap insert so far. It works just as well as the S&A magwell. I do like that the Dawson ICE does not flare my hand out at the bottom like some of the other 1911 magwells. I also like the long mainspring housing with it's checkering to the correct spot on my palm for grip. I will be trying the no gap insert next week as soon as I get the base pads for the Tripp mags. I think this will be the best setup for me. Thanks, Eric

I just put a Dawson Ice on my 1911 70 series. It was a bit more to install then what I had thought. The top of the mainspring housing and the bottom of my Brown beavertail (Old style non memory groove) both needed working with a file to get them mated together but I still had a major problem with the grip safety not functioning correctly. The old one would work but the Dawson would not. I was puzzled for a while as I kept thinking about it, it actually took me several days of filing and checking very carefully so I would not trash the 100.00 gizmo out just to get to the place where I could see that I had this problem. Then I would wake up at night and think about it, finally I figured out that the piece was to thick and was crushing the sear spring so much that it had no tension on the beavertail. I began to carefully remove material from the back of the housing until the spring began to function, then the little pin that holds the mainspring assembly in was sticking out and I still don't know if I got that quite right. It was not a drop in item at all. I like it a lot in spite of all the stress I endured, it is the biggest thing you can imagine to shove a mag into. My magazines all disappear in it though and now I got to try and figure out which bottoms I need to be able to seat them. I clicked on the link above and it did not work. Hope it don't sound like I'm whining... just figured I would share my recent experience. Was going to write the Dawson folks last week and time kept getting away from me.

earl

Edited by earlbob