Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not sure if I had to DQ myself but I did

High Lord Gomer

At a local steel match Saturday I DQ'd myself, but looking at the rules, not sure if it was required. Regardless of the rules, it was time for me to stop.

I was shooting a Ruger Mark III 22/45 and an AR15 with a .22 conversion in it. When I finished one box of ammo and started another I started having feeding issues. It got really bad on the 5th and final stage. I had problems almost every string. Finally, on the 5 string, I had 3 different jams. I was getting frustrated. I cleared the 3rd jam, aimed at one of the targets, and click. Not sure if the round didn't fire or I didn't get a round into the chamber. Reseated the mag, racked the "slide", pointed at target, and click (again). Changed mags, racked slide, pointed at target, and click (again). Reseated mag, racked slide, then with gun still at chest level and pointed at the berm, I pulled the trigger. In my frustration I just wanted to see if it was going to fire. It did and I immediately realized I should have been more deliberate with my aim.

From the Steel Challenge rules:

The following violations shall result in disqualification:

• Pointing a firearm up range (breaking the 180 degree line).

• Dropping a loaded firearm.

• Leaving the line with a loaded pistol.

• Any accidental discharge, including: any discharge or detonation while loading/unloading/reloading, lowering the hammer, any shot fired outside of a timed string, and any shot that leaves the confines of the range (over a berm).

• Picking up a dropped firearm without the direction of a match official.

• Any shot fired into the holster or into the ground within 10 feet of the contestant.

• Unsafe handling of a loaded firearm.

• Contestants under the influence of a controlled substance. (Alcohol or drugs)

The SC rules are nowhere near as clear as the USPSA rules, though. The closest I could find in the USPSA rules is:

10.4.4 A shot which occurs during remedial action in the case of a malfunction.

Again, regardless of whether or not it was a DQ'able offense, I shouldn't have done it and it was time for me to stop. Lesson learned: When things go bad, don't let frustration affect your actions.

Edited by High Lord Gomer

Lesson learned: When things go bad, don't let frustration affect your actions.[/left]

Yes. Good, but hard, to do. Training yourself to do a nice exhale before starting to correct mechanical problems will help. And the more you become successful at not getting riled up, that also helps.

be

I'm not sure if firing into the berm just to see if the thing will work--and surprise, surprise, it does--qualifies as an accidental discharge. I guess that's what you disqualified yourself for.

And I'm not sure that you are obligated to DQ yourself for something the RO doesn't catch or say anything about.

On the other hand, when frustration is getting the better of you, it's probably time to put the guns down and go cool off. I applaud your decision.

I watched a cowboy shooter lauch one over a berm and DQ himself, the RO's in charge didnt know what was up??? he said it wasnt his day, and he owed it to himselfto pack it in

back in the day we used to have permanent RO's on the stages, and having RO'd damn near an entire match without relief, I was pretty pissed to hearthey were tearing down the other stagesforthe day, and I had not shot a single round to that point, got pissed, stayed pissed, ratherthan shoot that way, asked for my money back rather than be in a bad frame of mind....live to shoot another day....live and learn