Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CR Speed question

Northern Xtreme

I have a model 25 with the 6.5" barrel, that I primarily intend to use the holster for, but I would also like to be able to use my 6" model 686 in it some if it will work.

Can anyone tell me from experience if it is possible to use a 6" and a longer than 6" in the same CR Speed, they sell two models, an up to 6" and an over 6".

Which one would work better for both?

Or should I just buy the 6"+ because I plan to use my 25 in it mostly?

Thanks

There is an easy solution for your problem.

Buy a Speedsec holster and it will work with any K, L or N revolver. It locks on the trigger guard and it works very well. In fact, I use my holster with a 625 (for IPSC/USPSA), a 586 (for Bianchi) and a 627 (for ICORE). Three guns with one holster, I don't think you can wish for more that that, can you?

I have used one for a number of years now and I prefer it over the CR Speed. In fact, I was very unhappy with many aspects of the CR Speed holster and I greatly prefer the Speedsec.

There is an easy solution for your problem.

Buy a Speedsec holster and it will work with any K, L or N revolver. It locks on the trigger guard and it works very well. In fact, I use my holster with a 625 (for IPSC/USPSA), a 586 (for Bianchi) and a 627 (for ICORE). Three guns with one holster, I don't think you can wish for more that that, can you?

I have used one for a number of years now and I prefer it over the CR Speed. In fact, I was very unhappy with many aspects of the CR Speed holster and I greatly prefer the Speedsec.

I'm sure the Speedsec is a fast holster, but I am concerned about retention. It makes me nervous not to have some sort of muzzle platform.

Edited by Northern Xtreme

The concept is a bit different and it took me some time to build confidence myself that the system is robust.

However, I found after a couple of years of reliable use, that the flexibility it offers far outweighs any concerns that I started out with.

This approach may not be for everyone but it was just a thought.

I'm sure the Speedsec is a fast holster, but I am concerned about retention. It makes me nervous not to have some sort of muzzle platform.

One of our local revolver guys uses a Speedsec. I find it a little scary.

I have a speedsec and have used it for several years. It is great because it accommodates all of my revolvers. I have never had a problem with the gun falling out, but I will admit that it makes me a little nervous too. I mostly use kydex now.

:sight:

No offense, Mike, but this is said by a lot of people who have never touched a Speedsec holster. A Speedsec holster has better retention than a CR Speed that hasn't been modified. I know this for sure as I own and have used both. There is no question about the absolute retention of the gun in a Speedsec when you have it locked. Unless you completely break the holster it isn't coming out. However, with a CR Speed holster you can draw the gun or knock it out without unlocking the holster unless you modify it. I know this for sure as well from personal experience.

If someone wants a speed holster I can without doubt recommend a Speedsec. And, I recommend it over a CR Speed now since my CR Speed just broke. :blink:

Mike and anyone else, if you happen to be in the area or at a match and see me let me know if you want to look at my holster and I can show you how great the retention is in the Speedsec.

Chris

I own both and have used both. Guess which one has more dust on it. :sight: The

Speedsec. I just flat out don't trust it when it is unlocked. When it is

locked it is solid. But with the lock off, just a little bump and the gun is

on the ground. It just is not worth the chance of getting a DQ. I like the

speedsec because it truly is a one size fits all holster. My Cr does the same,

it just takes a little adjusting to do it. The draw times between the two

holsters is basically the same. Lets face it, with a 32 round field course, the

difference between first and second on the stage is not going to be the draw time.

Tom

I own both and have used both. Guess which one has more dust on it. :sight: The

Speedsec. I just flat out don't trust it when it is unlocked. When it is

locked it is solid. But with the lock off, just a little bump and the gun is

on the ground. It just is not worth the chance of getting a DQ. I like the

speedsec because it truly is a one size fits all holster. My Cr does the same,

it just takes a little adjusting to do it. The draw times between the two

holsters is basically the same. Lets face it, with a 32 round field course, the

difference between first and second on the stage is not going to be the draw time.

Tom

I just don't see how this is possible. :wacko: I have done a ton of testing with my Speedsec holsters. Both the one for revolver and my STI. The ONLY way to get the gun out of the holster when it is unlocked is to push or pull it straight up. This exact same movement will take a gun out of a CR Speed or a kydex holster as well. So, neither one of those hosters would be more safe. And, you can knock a gun out of a CR Speed while the gun is locked into the holster unless you have modified the holster from factory condition.

Anybody who has Speedsec holsters gathering dust then get rid of them so they can be enjoyed by someone else. (This should not be considered a WTB post, I'm just saying). I won't kick a Speedsec outta bed for eating crackers. :goof:

Chris