Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Side Saddle?

sbpt1911

Hi all,

I just ordered some shot shell caddy's for my belt. I am getting ready for my first match (tactical rifle & Shotgun).

I was thinking of getting a Tac-Star 6 round side saddle, what do you guy's think? I would like to use this for maybe 3-gun in the future?

What type of shotgun do you have?

I only use the belt caddies for 3 gun as I load weak hand because its the fastester.

I haven't tried the tac star side saddle but I would recommend the elastic/Velcro Mark Otto side saddle.

On my home defense 870 that steadily guards the corner of my bedroom I use Mark Otto caddies like these Shooters Connection Mark Otto 9 Round Side Saddle. I think Mark will custom build them for the number of rounds you need but I didn't know that so I cut my 9 rounder into a 5 and 7 rounder and stuck them on both sides of my 870. I don't have a picture today but I'll try to get one for you tonight.

Thank's, I have a Mossberg 590a1 18.5" barrel. I like the idea of the belt moutned caddy's, loading weak hand. I was thinking that the shotgun mounted side saddle would add more ammo capacity - I would still load from the side saddle with my weak hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I only use the belt caddies for 3 gun as I load weak hand because its the fastester.

I haven't tried the tac star side saddle but I would recommend the elastic/Velcro Mark Otto side saddle.

I am going to use mostly belt mounted shell caddys, but maybe a side saddle to hold slug for stages that require them?

Why would the elastic velcro side saddle be better than a "hard" polymer type side sadde? wouldn't be easier to load up the hard side saddle with one hand?

The side saddle is slower because you grab one at a time and put it in the gun. The belt caddie allows you to grab 3-4 at a time and thumb them in the gun. Like this...

Mr. Weakhand

If you're going to load weakhand don't worry about a side saddle.

I would be mostly using weakhand reload. But am thinking that a side saddle might come in handy to hold slugs if needed for certain stages?

You will be faster if you designate one of the caddies on your belt for slugs and/or buckshot. I use the one that I put on the right side of my belt buckle so I know exactly where it is and don't go grabbing over there for birdshot. I am much faster and I think you will be too if you load every shell the same way every time. It takes less practice to just practice one method of reloading. Repetition is the key to the shotgun reloading and any relaoding for that matter. If you are always grabbing from your belt you will load the slugs/buckshot as fast as you load your standard birdshot. You will only be shooting slugs/buckshot about 10% of the time so why learn another way to do it?

If you must go with a side saddle I favor the velcro side saddle over the securely attached side saddle because if you hang your side saddle up on a port or door it will simply rip the side saddle off rather than ripping the gun out of your hands or jerking the gun and causing an AD both of which will get you DQ'd. Furthermore, I feel that adding more things to your guns that didn't come on them can cause reliability issues. So if your side saddle rattles loose from recoil and the pin then falls out, your SOL. If something happens with the velcro saddle you can rip it off and continue on.

I actually bought one of those 2 round Oh $hit velcro/elastic shell holders that go aroung you barrel just in front of the ejection port becaseu I thought it would be faster and easier to grab a slug or another shell out of there for select loads or when I run dry. However, I never mounted it becaause I can grab from my belt roll the gun over, toss a shell on the carrier and release the bolt faster than I ever could get a shell out of that position on my gun. Once again, YMMV.

If you are set on the side saddle buy one and time yourself both ways. You may be faster or more consistent off the caddy. That's one of the things i enjoy most about this sport is discussing and experimenting with all the cool guns and gear and finding out the best way for me.

I am going to use mostly belt mounted shell caddys, but maybe a side saddle to hold slug for stages that require them?

Why would the elastic velcro side saddle be better than a "hard" polymer type side sadde? wouldn't be easier to load up the hard side saddle with one hand?

The velcro sidesaddles hold more rounds and eliminate the risk of tying up your shotgun, due to the overtightening of the screws that replace the action pins to hold the Tac-Star in place. It's also faster to tear the shotgun down, if you punch two holes in the velcro that attaches to the receiver, to enable pushing the pins out....

Loading the sidesaddle occurs off the clock. Most matches I've been to will allow you to top off side saddles and forearm shellholders between stages -- so any time advantage of the Tac-Star is moot. Loading from the sidesaddle isn't faster with either model....

I have a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip with a TacStar 4 round side saddle. It's clipped inside the trunk, unloaded. The TacStar is to make sure there is always ammo with the gun. Good gear. I think most shotguns feel and run better without a side saddle. I have seen plenty of guys run shotguns with side saddles in matches and they seem to work just fine, however. I hardly see anybody load off it, though. No need to do it unless you come up with a method that suits your style. Or you like the extra weight.

I also load weakhanded. With a side saddle, it will often be in the way of space your hand needs to thumb

the shells in. At least mine does in the manner in which I load.

Also, as mentioned, with a side saddle on a semiauto, you may increase malfunctions. Either by over tightening

the receiver bolts or just the added weight messing with the recoil impulse. Less stuff hanging on the gun is better.

Belt caddies are the fastest with the ability to grab 3-4 at a time. With a single loop holder/side saddle/bandelero

system, you can really only grab one shell at a time. Several have mastered this method and can hold their own

against the caddie loaders. But they are extremely experienced shotgunners.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I use my side saddle for the first round when my gun is empty. Its easier for me to take one off the side saddle, roll it into the chamber and hit the button and then I proceed to load from my shell caddies on my belt. If I come up with 4 rounds and try to load the chamber I usually fumble.

pat

I have run Marks side saddle on my Benelli exclusively for several years and it does not cause any problems. For me it is faster than the weak hand reload and, again for me, it is less prone to major disaster when my hands are cold and my dexterity is compromised.

For a defence gun IMO it makes a hell of a lot more sense to have your extra ammo on the gun and easily accessible. Not many people wear their belt caddies to bed or around the house or in the car......

Just my .02.smile.gif

Edited by Merlin Orr

• 3 months later...

I decided to give a side saddle a try and went with the Mark Otto version based on several recommendations. But as I sit here looking at this, I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

First, there are no instructions on how to mount this so I'm kind of guessing. The 9 shell holder seems to be too long as it extends up onto the forearm on my Stoeger 2000 (and I assume it will do the same on a Benelli). Am I supposed to cut the velcro and put one piece on the forearm? Also, it comes with a velcro strap; what's that for?

But installation is minor compared to the size of the loops. I can barely get one shell in with a crowbar and a hammer let alone a second one next to it. What's the story?

I decided to give a side saddle a try and went with the Mark Otto version based on several recommendations. But as I sit here looking at this, I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

First, there are no instructions on how to mount this so I'm kind of guessing. The 9 shell holder seems to be too long as it extends up onto the forearm on my Stoeger 2000 (and I assume it will do the same on a Benelli). Am I supposed to cut the velcro and put one piece on the forearm? Also, it comes with a velcro strap; what's that for?

But installation is minor compared to the size of the loops. I can barely get one shell in with a crowbar and a hammer let alone a second one next to it. What's the story?

Don't worry ace, once you get em in, they break in just by having the shells sitting in em'. I had the same problem with mine when I first got it...I almost sent it back assuming they had sent me a 20gauge model.

To install em, put the sticky Velcro on your receiver...some guys cut the last few slots off and mount em separately, others just let em overlap the forearm...either way, it doesn't influence functionality.

As per which method is faster......it all depends on what you practice with. Some guys are insanely fast with side saddle.

Check the "Topping Off Your Shotgun" Vid

A lot of guys run both in competition though but as one user already mentioned, it is difficult to weakhand reload with the side saddle there...I use the Otto "Oh $H*T" Saddle for when the weapon runs totally dry.

I'd stay away from tacstar for 3gun or HD...seen too many break under pressure (at least 2 during matches which is 2 too many). Mark Otto brand is cheaper and works better.

Don't worry ace, once you get em in, they break in just by having the shells sitting in em'. I had the same problem with mine when I first got it...I almost sent it back assuming they had sent me a 20gauge model.

To install em, put the sticky Velcro on your receiver...some guys cut the last few slots off and mount em separately, others just let em overlap the forearm...either way, it doesn't influence functionality.

It took me about 5 min of cursing, but I got some shells in last night and am just going to let them sit there a couple days.

...some guys cut the last few slots off and mount em separately, others just let em overlap the forearm...either way, it doesn't influence functionality.

OK. I assume that the velcro can be cut up and one section put on the forearm and the other on the receiver. But what is the strap that come with it for?

It took me about 5 min of cursing, but I got some shells in last night and am just going to let them sit there a couple days.

Ya, they really loosen up faster than expected...but still, don't pull the shells out for like a week haha...otherwise there will be more cursing...at least there was for me. :wacko:

The little velcro strap is to wrap around the reciever and thru one of the loops on the caddie. it just makes sure it doesn;t come loose if it bump a wall or an object during a match.

+1...It's just like anyone you could grab at walmart...wrap it tight around your receiver/forend as pictured here: Here

I've got 3 of the 9rd side saddles and I dont use the velcro wrap on any of them. use the alcohol prep pad included and clean your gun, then apply the sticky side of the velcro to your receiver, and if you choose to (i do) cut it in two pieces that fit seperately on your receiver and forearm. mash the side saddle in to place reeeeaaaallll good and there you are. Of the three I have, the oldest is about 3 years now and still going strong, never had shells fall out.

Shells falling out is something I'm not worried about. Good thing that speed loading does not involve putting shells INTO the sidesaddle!

biggrin.gif How true!

I, like Mr. Hebert, cut the lower Velcro into two pieces. One for the receiver and a separate piece for the forearm. I do not cut the actual shell holder but leave it in a single piece and it works great that way....

The loops will "give it up" with their cargo a little easier when you have used it a while. They have to be tight to keep the shells in during the movement of the gun during recoil. You will grow to love it...! wink.gif

I have one that I occasionally use. I prefer and am faster off the belt though. The only time I love the side saddle is when I have to do a slug/shot reload and need them to go in the gun in a specific order. I line then in the order I want to put them in the gun front to back on the side saddle and go right down the line. For me its much easier than going for 2 different caddies or thinking about what round goes where as Its preset off the clock. That is the only time I use one

I do not cut the actual shell holder but leave it in a single piece and it works great that way....

How far up onto the forearm does yours extend? One loop?

Also, it occurred to me last night that there are several vertical "orientations" for the sidesaddle. The loops are not centered (top to bottom) on the base, but are positioned to one edge. So the base can be turned so that the loops are "up" or "down". And the base can be positioned up, down or centered on the receiver. Different variations will leave more or less shell extending below the receiver and more or less shell available to grip.

My assumption is that the loops should be up with the base down towards the bottom edge of the receiver. But I've been wrong once or twice in my life. The problem with a mind like mine is that given almost anything, I can think of 15 different ways of setting it up. I prefer starting with a "recommended way" that others find works well then messing it all up by doing it my own way.

After this, we can discuss whether a glass is half full or half empty. ;)

Edited by Graham Smith