Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Us Practical Shotgun Championship

After considerable prodding and consideration the SE Practical Shotgun Championship has changed its name to the US Practical Shotgun Championship (USPSC). This should gain greater glory for the sponsors and for the top shooters participating in this match in the years to come. The match is shaping up as we speak, stages are roughed out and being reviewed, looks like 15 stages and about 180 rounds, ranging from 6 round speed stage to 20 round long course, average about 15 rounds. Currently looking at IPSC rules and possibly getting match IPSC sanctioned. Stages and details to folllow soon now that we have all survived the holidays. Look forward to seeing all you who have contacted me for details. B)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kurt, June 18-20, 18th is for RO's, 19 &20 for the rest of the world, I am always in the market for stage ideas, send away, I have some already roughed out but it isn't posted yet so I'm open to improvement. What you got, are the 3 gun nationals going to be a big problem? B)

Benny, the least you can do is tell the folks what it was like, someone asked your opinion on one of these threads. Its not everyday someone asks! If work allows I may go to Nats as well if the intel indicates it will be worthwhile.

Benelli2:

I might be able to make it, I'm not sure yet! I plan to take the wife over to England for the open. It will depend on when I get back. Message me throught the forums and let me know an address of where to send the stages I have. Nationals??

I e-mailed you guys once for details but I have a few more questions, as I love 3 gun shotgun, but my background is not in USPSA so I'm not as familiar with that system.

I know USPSA says 9 rounds for limited, 10 rounds for open, but is there a maximum barrel length rule? (30 inch barrel, 12 shot Choate)

If you have a 12 round tube, can you shoot limited and just start with 9 in the gun? If so, can you top off more than 9 shells in the gun after the buzzer?

I believe that USPSA has no distinction between pump and auto correct? Just limited and open?

Or if I chose to use my gamer gun, :) does USPSA have any rules against magazine fed shotguns? (Saiga) Would a Saiga with 9 round magazines be a limited gun?

USPSA shotgun rules can be found at USPSA.org or IPSC.com also has the shotgun rules in full detail. You cannot have more than 9 rounds in the gun at anytime in limited, I think a mag fed gun is perfectly legal. I would recommend installing a plug to limit the mag capacity if I had a mag tube capable of holding more than allowed, this would eliminate the chance of errors during a stage bumping you to open class.

I can't claim to be an expert in the USPSA rules by any means but surely there isn't a Limited Division? The equivalent would be Standard Division? There is also reference to "Production Gun" criteria.

From conversations with Mike Voigt I distinctly got the impression that detachable mags weren't permitted in Standard Division. It might be best to get this confirmed?

From the IPSC perspective up until the end of 2003 there was a Limited Division but this has been renamed "Standard Division" and there have been a couple of tweaks to the divsion rules. The USPSA division is very close to this IPSC division.

There is also an IPSC "Modified Division".

For IPSC Shotgun, detachable mags are only permitted in Open Division and there has been no change on this matter in the recent rules rewrite.

Happy New Year Neil!!

If you need to know any thing about IPSC shotgun rules Neil is the man to ask, as he basicly wrote them. As for USPSA I think Mike closely followed IPSC but it would bear to check! I know that in IMGA rules it would be OK. KURT

So let me get this straight, ohhh great one ;) now if i win this match, i will, like uhmmmmm be US champion? Cool, now all i have to do is win it. hmmmm any ideas on how i can do that? ;) I am sooo looking foward to the match, and at your spacious, and might i add, lovely range i think it will be a blast...pun intended.

Who would have thunk it, when my granpappy was teaching me how to poac.... i mean hunt, that i would be having this much fun with a shotgun again ;)

:o Gentlemen...I beg to differ, but the way I read the rules, it makes no distinction on mag-fed shotguns for limited division. Could you please quote me a rule that mandates it as such...The rule I read says "speedloaders". Call me a gamer (or a hair-splitter), but I would arbitrate this in a heartbeat with the current wording, and I think I'd have an excellent shot (pun intended) at winning and keeping my $100...Sorry NROI. Anybody want to chime in on this? No disrespect to Neil, but I don't think when the rule was written, that they forsaw the day that we would have magazine-fed shotguns. A magazine does not a speedleading device necessarily make. This rule is ambiguous, and open to a lot of interpretation.

Barrettone

Benny is right, any speedloader will get you into open class. However, I have successfully used the Aquila #4 short shells (1-3/8"OAL) in my Mossberg 590 pump by dumping 2 shells on the loading gate and pushing them in faster with two more. I can hold 6 shorty's in one hand and it feels like 3 regualr shotshells. For Open Class the Tec Loaders will hold 6 shorty's and load faster than 4 regular shells.

Mike45:

Any shooters would be allowed!! I think Jeff is going to run it under USPSA, but I am not to sure about an IPSC sanction.....It's kind of like we talked about in Italy....you can call it anything, but seeing as it is the only large shotgun match in the US right now, I don't see why not US CHAMPIONSHIP. Don't do to well at the match though as most the top shooters got guns last year, and I don't think you could take them back to the UK....but I would be happy to wear them......ERR store them for you :D KURT

Barrettone

Like I said, I don't claim to be an expert in the USPSA rules but other comments that have been subsequently posted support my understanding.

For IPSC there is no ambiguity. Detachable mags are only permitted in Open Division and are specifically referred to.

Please also bear in mind that the USPSA rules are about to be significantly updated and changed as a result of the new IPSC rules. Arnie was on the IPSC Shotgun Rules Committee and is fully aware of the changes made. In addition Mike V. was keeping an ever watchful eye on the changes we were making. I think that I may have read somewhere that the earliest any new USPSA rules could take effect is May. I believe constitutionally the earliest is determined as 90 days after the changes are publicised in Front Sight.

Mike

IPSC only gets involved in sanctioning in Level III matches and above. Without this sanctioning a match cannot be declared to be a Level III. For Level I & II matches it is left to each Region to establish their own methods for sanctioning/approving matches.

Bill

Please be mindful with these short cartridges that IPSC has a minimum power factor of 520. If the US adopts the same or similar divisional requirements and this particular aspect is adopted it may affect you. Also there is a calibration/test procedure for poppers and plates based on a PF of 520 or just less (for testing think 1 ounce loads at 1180 fps or equivalent [1200fps to make factor]). As we only recognize Major in shotgun if you fail the chrono you would be shooting for fun only. Actually I think we should all be shooting for fun and the scoring is a bonus! :)

Finally please consider if the short cartidges don't make factor and plates have been set to fall only close to the limit then you may have a problem with some of the plates going down.

I hope the above is of some help. It's going to take some time before people become familiar with a new set of rules.

Kurt,

Me and the boys are mulling over whether to pop over and have a go at this one and show you chaps a thing or two :D

It might be a good call as it would be just after the UK Championships and we will be still fuming from the thrashing you will melt out, and be keen for a little payback :ph34r:

I am sure if some miracle happens and all the other competiors are either too hung over, or all twist an ankle and somehow allow us to win a prize then it would be happy living with you as long as she wasnt neglected !

Mike