Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

US Fencing Summer Nationals

Blueridge

:sight:

For the 10th time since the 1999-2000 season (when I came back to fencing), I have qualified to the US Fencing Summer Nationals. I competed in the NC Division Qualifier Tournament March 6th and 7th. I finished 11th in the Division II/III Foil competition to make the Division III event at the US Summer Nationals on the 6th. I finished 2nd in the Division II/III Epee competition to make the Division II & III events at the US Summer Nationals.

Being that most of the fencers in the event are approximately half my age, I was quite pleased with myself. The past three to four years have been tough to keep up a workout and practice regiment with the demands at work, but fortunately I have been able to stay competitive.

:sight:

Fencing preparation and practice has always put shooting sports on the second tier for me. I compete in shooting sports as a second recreational outlet, and for lower level accomplishments. In shooting, as opposed to fencing, I keep my gear pretty basic.

Edited by Blueridge

The only thing I could think of that would scare me more than a big guy like you with a gun .,,is a big guy like you with a big sword,,comgrats.to a really nice guy :cheers:

Thanks for all of the well wishes. :)

I hope to better my 42nd place finish (out of 133) in the Division III Epee event, and hopefully better that finish in the Division II Epee and Division III Foil events. I'll be competing in the three events over the course of five days. :sight:

Too cool! Congratulations! I always liked to go watch the kids fence at the University of Redlands when I lived nearby. We would jsut hang and watch them go at it. I really liked it as a spectator sport. Lots of action.

Good luck to you!

• 2 months later...

I have been getting in a number of fencing tournaments over the last few months in preparation for the US Summer Nationals. I had a third place finish (Foil) and an eight place finish (Epee) yesterday in a local tournament. I felt that I was hot and cold throughout the day, and Ihave to work some more on that. As long as I can keep consistent I should be in good shape in July.

My immediate concern is making sure that I have all of my equipment prepped for the summer nationals. I have had some equipment failures at summer nationals past, and it can be disruptive to maintaining focus.