Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Entry-level Spotting Scope

chp5

I know - you can't get a spotting scope worth mounting on a tripod for $200. <_<

But if you WERE going to buy one for $200 or less, which one?

I used a friend's 18x36 Bushnell today. I could see .223 holes at 100 yards with no problem. I used an 8x8 shoot-n-see target on top of an IPSC target @ 200 yards and I could see the holes pretty well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Or you could do what all the schleps do when I'm at the range....use mine. Every time I go to a rifle range, There's a goddamned line behind my scope. :angry:

================================================

I'm going to retract some of what I said about the cheaper optics, you may very well get something that's workable at that price now. I bought one of Bushnell's low-end (about $185) riflescopes and am simply stunned at the quality. No, it isn't multi-coated ED glass, but it does exactly the job it's intended for. I've been pretty sour about cheap optics because 20 years ago, they were usually just absolute, worthless garbage.

For occasional use, a cheap scope is probably the ticket. If you're going to spend hours and hours behind a scope, you'll want to spend a little more so you don't have a headache at the end of the day.

www.riflescopes.com seems to have the best prices generally, btw.

If you decide you are going to use the scope more, check out: www.buytelescopes.com and look at the Fujinons and Kowas. Frequently there are package deals on 50-60mm scopes that are waterproof, with case, eyepiece and tripod in the $300-400 range. That type of scope will last a lifetime and it will always have some resale value.

Consider something like these:

50 mm Kowa with 20-40X zoom for $219

Same scope as above with tripod and case for $270

If you do a web search you may find some Fujinon packages in that price range, which will be equivalent in price and features to the Kowa. Most of the service rifle shooters I saw at the range were generally running Kowa scopes. Either scope will probably be better than anything with "Bushnell" or "Tasco" printed on the side of it.

Make sure that you buy from someone with a decent return policy. To me the two most important features in a scope are: resolution and exit pupil (the diameter of the light beam coming out of the eyepiece). Notice that I didn't mention magnification - more is not better. A nice, big exit pupil is really convenient because you spend a lot less time hunting for the image when you in a contorted position like when you're prone.

My 6 1/2 pesos.....

Thanks guys.

I've purchased something off eBay. After I get it and use it I'll post a review on this string.

If it's no good, it'll go right back on eBay :D

Eric - I'm less scared of buying a cheap spotting scope than a rifle scope because the spotter doesn't absorb recoil - but I may eat my words later.

BTW - I bum my smith's spotting scope all the time. He's probably getting tired of it . . .

i got this russian one a little while ago. "lomo astele", from this optics planet website. they're not $150, and pretty high qualilty. comes with a variable power eyepiece, and it ain't too good. sent it back for 20mm fixed eyepiece(@60 power), and it's pretty sharp. seen a $600 valdada that really didn't have much on this one. i betcha i can see my 6mm holes at 300 on white paper, maybe more......

• 6 months later...

Leupold Wind River Sequoia Spotting Scope 15-45x60mm...Leupold's low-end spotting scopes are very nice for the money. You can find 'em around $150 all over the internet with some peeking (comes with a tripod, soft case, and a hard case).

Alex

Heres my take on spoting scopes.( and most everything else for that matter)

Figure out how often you will use it, how accurate & precise it needs to be and spend accordingly. I drag my scope out 3 - 4 time a year to zero something at 100 - 200 yds. I think I spent $ 70 on ebay. It works great. Would I pack it to Alaska for a sheep hunt? Hell no. But it works just fine. Currently, or in the forseeable near future, there are no Alaska hunts planned so I saw no reason to drop $$$$ on something that will see light and infrequent use.

Wow. I'm in the minority. I thought the Leupolds were lousy scopes. The ones I tried had extremely poor eye relief and had no better quality optics than a Fujinon for half the price.

FWIW, Every serious highpower guy I saw at the range was using a Kowa. That just can't be an accident.

I've been using a Leupold Gold Ring fixed power (20x) for A long time and still love it. You can get a bullet trace when spotting long range and watch the bullet into the target. Actually tell if its going to hit before it does. I don't think they make a fixed power any more but if you can find one used they have a lifetime warranty, they are also a compact scope if you want to carry them along.

Bronco,

If you ever want to part with that scope, let me know. My father is kicking himself for not picking up one of the Leupold fixed powers before they stopped making them. I can' remember if he wanted 20x or 25x, but yours sounds like the one he's looking for.

We like 'em for varmint shooting. Spotter gets a free show and 'spray'!

Rich

Rich, they come up on gunbroker and e-bay pretty often, have seen them for around $250.00. I think I paid around $400 back in the mid 80's it was a lot back then but I haven't regretted it. It's been all over with me from dogs to elk and a lot of competition spotting. LOL Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Redmercury2,do the high power shooters favor strait or angled eye piece,and are you at 60x when you can see well at 300yds or do you think the 20-40x Kowa would work as well?