Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good and Bad Brass for 9mm Reloading

Good to go brass:

Starline (*--* Two Stars with line between them)

Winchester (Winchester, WIN, WCC?)

Norma (Norma)

Magtech (CBC)

Hornady (Hornady)

Independance (*I*)

Israeli Military Industries (TZZ)

Federal (Federal, FC that is not 40S&W)

Eldorado (ELD)

Remington (R-P, UMC)

Shootable, but not as good:

Speer (Speer)

Precision Made Cartridge (PMC)

Company? (HY)

Aguila (Aguila)

Fiocchi (Fiocchi)

Junk Brass:

American Ammunition (AMERC)

Armscorp (ACP)

Company? (NNY)

Federal (FC that is 40S&W)

Sellier & Beloit ( S&B ) - Mixed reviews, some ok, some bad, usually the problem is related to primer pocket size.

Got this off the Glocktalk reloading forum. Lots of good info over there.

Edited by dsmw5142

I've reloaded plenty of GFL and PPU without problem. I usually chunk the S&B, they seem to have tight primer pockets and have created trouble for me many times in the past.

Which brass do you use for 9 major and which ones are minor load?

Wow :surprise: I guess I need to seperate some brass and see if I get the same results.

I've loaded a little over 4000 rounds for my G34, since I've owned it, and I haven't really seen an accuracy problem with any of the brass.

Like I said, maybe if I shoot them seperately I will see a difference.

How about on open division 9 major using 124 grain bullet and winchester autocomp, i believe its about 7.3 grain of powder. I understand on regular loads for production, i can reuse my brass over and over.

You'll get a ton of opinions on this question. :angry:

I load "mixed" brass for everything. Currently working up loads for 9 major with WSF - Silhouette - HS-6 - True Blue and have had no brass problems at all. I start seeing loose primer pockets around the 4th reload.

I had to experiment with that because I don't pick up my 9 major brass. I try to focus on the stage, my shooting and the results instead of chasing brass.

Do my range pick up before or after the match when there is plenty of time and, usually, plenty of brand new 9mm brass on the ground. B)

How about on open division 9 major using 124 grain bullet and winchester autocomp, i believe its about 7.3 grain of powder. I understand on regular loads for production, i can reuse my brass over and over.

You'll get a ton of opinions on this question. :angry:

I load "mixed" brass for everything. Currently working up loads for 9 major with WSF - Silhouette - HS-6 - True Blue and have had no brass problems at all. I start seeing loose primer pockets around the 4th reload.

I had to experiment with that because I don't pick up my 9 major brass. I try to focus on the stage, my shooting and the results instead of chasing brass.

Do my range pick up before or after the match when there is plenty of time and, usually, plenty of brand new 9mm brass on the ground. B)

I didn't even know there were people that picked up brass DURING the match. :mellow:

I think I would get a little irratated if I was ghosting a stage and someone was picking up brass.

I just always wait until the match is over for the reasons you state above.

I've got some new bullets coming and I'm going to run them with mixed headstanp and see how they do, then I'll sort some and see if there is any difference.