Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

21 round sti 40 mag.

Craig-2008

To get 21 in an STI tube you will need either bowlen or grams internals and bowlen, grams or dawson basepad. Your tube will most likley need to be tunen to get 21 in it. Give Freedom Gunworks a visit. He will get you fixed up right.

What parts do I need to get a 21 round STI 40 S&W mag. limited legal. I have a 140 mm tube

It can also be done with an SV tube, or even a good STI tube... you just need the right guy to tune it for you!

Get in touch with Bobby Keigans (kgunz11 on the forum). He can hook you up. :cheers:

The only easy way to get 21 is to buy and SV tube and bolen follower, spring and 3mm basebad.

Otherwise you have to go the custom route. No disrespect to the tuners out there, IMHO they are not worth the cost just to get 1 more round. I have >10 mags with the aforementioned combo that hold a reloadable 21 with no custom tuning.

An STI mag runs 50$, grams follower 16$, and a Dawson basepad at around 30$ has you at 96 bucks for one mag...an SV setup with bolens runs about 115$. That my friends is a lot of money for just 1 mag. If i can get my own mags to run 21..Why do i need them tuned?

Not all (or even many) STI tubes will go to 21 no matter what's done to them. SV tubes and Rescomp tubes can go to 21 pretty easily with the right parts and tuning. In fact, the Rescomp tubes I have are 21 reloadable with Grams 2.5mm pads and Grams 11-coil springs and followers. R,

I have 7 STI 140's all un-tuned. Of that 7, 3 will hold 21 with Grams basepads and Bolen springs and followers. All the rest will easily hold a reloadable 20 with the Grams and Bolen parts. So all tubes are not the same.

Hello: Some mags need more tuning than others just like some pistols :cheers: I would rather have a reliable 20 rounds than a sometimes 21. I have some 140mm mags that hold 19,20 and 21 rounds that are reloadable and reliable. For the 19 and 20 round mags I use Dawson followers and ISMI springs. For the 21 round mags Bolen follower and ISMI springs or a Grams setup. For base pads I use Dawson or Grams. I am working on a 22 round mags right now but need to make more tooling :devil: Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I think most shooters here on this forum are able to tune their own feed lips. the specs of the mags are well known and easily corrected if out of spec.

Getting the feed lips right can be tricky - especially on SVs (which have different feed lips than STIs). And you have to be real careful that there are no little dings or imperfections for the round to get hung up to keep it from chambering smoothly.

I've heard the same... but I sent Bobby 8 STI tubes, 8 Grams spring/follower kits, and 8 Dawson +1 SNL basepads... and I recieved back 8 reliable 21 round mags. And all of them had a smidgon of room to spare at the top of the 21st round (which I think is a must for reliably stripping off that top round). B)

I'd still say not all will go to 21, but maybe now it's to the point that many will. Heck, I've got one that won't go past 17 with an +1SNL and a Grams 11-coil and follower :surprise: It runs, so it's my barney mag. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I think most shooters here on this forum are able to tune their own feed lips. the specs of the mags are well known and easily corrected if out of spec.

Getting the feed lips right can be tricky - especially on SVs (which have different feed lips than STIs). And you have to be real careful that there are no little dings or imperfections for the round to get hung up to keep it from chambering smoothly.

I've never had a problem. i figure if i can reconstruct someones ankle or foot i can at least handle a mag tune.

None of this thread is about FGW. Everybody needs to realize that before they post again.

I will probably clean this thread up.

The opening poster was asking about parts, btw. He hadn't asked about suggestion on who to use for mag tuning.

- Admin.