Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't get my Open gun to run

lvipscshooter

I am a new Open shooter and I am in desperate need of help with my 38 Super Open gun. I bought it back in August of last year, and it has been to our local gunsmith here several times, and he just can't get it to run reliably. One of the issues there is he is unable to tune mags, so that could be a large part of the problem. Here are the details.

The frame is from an STI Trubore, don't know the manufacturer of the slide, just know it's not stock. It has a Schuemann Hybicomp barrel, Aftec extractor and EGW extended ejector, and a C-More. The gun was hard chromed when I got it and supposedly never fired. I do not know who built it as the gun was purchased from a friend of a friend that I was told I could trust.

Here are the issues.

The slide seems to be dragging on something, even when just frame and slide together. There is a "clicking sound" almost like the slide doesn't fit the frame properly. We tried lapping compund on it, and it loosened some, but still seems tight.

Here is the major issue. It is an "intermitent jamming issue" The gun will run fine for 75 or so rounds, then all of a sudden it will start turning spent cases in the chamber and not ejecting them. It had been turning the mouth of the case outward, so it was decided it needed the extended ejector. That was installed and tuned and it ran 500 rounds reliably in the test firings that followed install. The 1st match I shot I got a jam on the 1st stage. Now it is sometimes turning the spent cases completely around in the chamber and the base of the case is sticking out when it jams

I really need help getting this thing running as I am getting to the point where I am getting tired of throwing money and time at it and not curing the problem, and causing the frustration level to escalate to where I'm ready to mothball the entire works. I have had a gun for 6 months that has never run correctly.

Can anyone reccomend a gunsmith that specializes in Open guns that I can send the entire works to, gun, mags, and ammo, to get this thing tuned properly and running. I have several major matches scheduled this season, and need this corrected rather soon or my season is going to be over before it begins.

Thank You

Edited by lvipscshooter

I would never take it back to that smith.

Benny Hill would fix it fast, at a reasonable rate. You have multiple problems and I would not rule out ammo. In fact (assuming the gun is made right in the first place, which yours isn't) ammo is almost always the issue. Taper crimp, OAL and bullet type are the frequent issues.

Your extracter is not set up correctly and I would only use one brand of brass to make your life and Benny's easier.

I never have had Benny do anything for me since I have a smith that does me right(he has no desire for more business) but can recommend him and frankly there are like around 10 people in the US that I could recommend besides him but most of them are backlogged months.

George Smith of EGW is another one that might take it quick.

I am a new Open shooter and I am in desperate need of help with my 38 Super Open gun. I bought it back in August of last year, and it has been to our local gunsmith here several times, and he just can't get it to run reliably. One of the issues there is he is unable to tune mags, so that could be a large part of the problem. Here are the details.

The frame is from an STI Trubore, don't know the manufacturer of the slide, just know it's not stock. It has a Schuemann Hybicomp barrel, Aftec extractor and EGW extended ejector, and a C-More. The gun was hard chromed when I got it and supposedly never fired. I do not know who built it as the gun was purchased from a friend of a friend that I was told I could trust.

Here are the issues.

The slide seems to be dragging on something, even when just frame and slide together. There is a "clicking sound" almost like the slide doesn't fit the frame properly. We tried lapping compund on it, and it loosened some, but still seems tight.

Here is the major issue. It is an "intermitent jamming issue" The gun will run fine for 75 or so rounds, then all of a sudden it will start turning spent cases in the chamber and not ejecting them. It had been turning the mouth of the case outward, so it was decided it needed the extended ejector. That was installed and tuned and it ran 500 rounds reliably in the test firings that followed install. The 1st match I shot I got a jam on the 1st stage. Now it is sometimes turning the spent cases completely around in the chamber and the base of the case is sticking out when it jams

I really need help getting this thing running as I am getting to the point where I am getting tired of throwing money and time at it and not curing the problem, and causing the frustration level to escalate to where I'm ready to mothball the entire works. I have had a gun for 6 months that has never run correctly.

Can anyone reccomend a gunsmith that specializes in Open guns that I can send the entire works to, gun, mags, and ammo, to get this thing tuned properly and running. I have several major matches scheduled this season, and need this corrected rather soon or my season is going to be over before it begins.

Thank You

This maybe a dumb question but, is the disconnector still in the frame when you running the slide back and forth on it? if so this could be the clicking you hear. you may need to replace the extractor, I had to, my gun was leaving a round in the chamber once in a great

while this fixed it quick. I would also look at replacing the ejector to a long commander style. At least check the angel of it.

Check to make sure the C-More screws do not protrude through the dust cover. Many times if they are replaced or even put back in a different hole they will stick through the dust cover and drag on the slides spring tunnel. Also check to make sure the ejector is all the way down. Many times it doesn't get pinned and will lift and drag on the slide.

Edited by TMC

Here are the issues.

Thank You

Check the bottom of the C-More bracket for excessive dings. Your empty cases are hitting the mount and bouncing back in the chamber. This will be an ejector issue. In addition, check to make sure the firing pin stop is setup correctly for an AFTEC.

Edited replaced extractor with ejector. Thinking one thing, typed another. surprise.gif Sorry.

Edited by FullRace

What recoil spring and mainspring are in the gun? Has the firing pin stop been radiused? What ammo are you running?

I wouldn't suspect mag problems if it's not nose diving or failing to feed. Definitely check the underside of the scope mount for dings...if they're on the very edge of the mount it's not a big deal, but if they're more inboard it's a problem...might need a little ejector tuning.

I'd also check the extractor fit and tension. Take the slide off, barrel out, put a case under the extractor and make sure it's making solid contact and that there isn't a gap on it as if they used a Supercomp extractor instead of a Super extractor (different hook dimensions). Then check to see if the extractor will hold the case in place when the slide is held horizontally. R,

Check the bottom of the C-More bracket for excessive dings. Your empty cases are hitting the mount and bouncing back in the chamber. This will be an extractor issue. In addition, check to make sure the firing pin stop is setup correctly for an AFTEC.

That would be an ejector tuning issue. The extractor just pulls the case out, the ejector points it in the right direction. :)

not a big fan, but try installing a sideway mount for your c-more. i hear thats one of the main reasons why they designed it.

Might be better to try and solve the problem, rather than just spend more on hardware

Here are the issues.

Thank You

This maybe a dumb question but, is the disconnector still in the frame when you running the slide back and forth on it? if so this could be the clicking you hear. you may need to replace the extractor, I had to, my gun was leaving a round in the chamber once in a great

while this fixed it quick. I would also look at replacing the ejector to a long commander style. At least check the angel of it.

In my experience the only dumb question is the one not asked :roflol: No, the disconnector is not in the gun when cycling the slide, it is just the frame and slide with all of the trigger components removed.

Edited by lvipscshooter

Check to make sure the C-More screws do not protrude through the dust cover. Many times if they are replaced or even put back in a different hole they will stick through the dust cover and drag on the slides spring tunnel. Also check to make sure the ejector is all the way down. Many times it doesn't get pinned and will lift and drag on the slide.

Actually, scope mount screws were discovered protruding early on, as were burrs on the rest of the holes drilled in the frame for the scope mounts. Correcting this cured some of the drag issue, but not all of it. The ejector is pinned, and the slide "drag" is there even with it removed from the gun. It almost seems like the slide was not fitted properly to the frame

One bonehead simple thing to check. Make sure the ejector is tight, and that the retaining pin is fitted tightly to the ejector. The groove in the ejector should be a nice little radius, not a wallowed out groove. Sometimes a loose ejector can work fine for a while and then mysteriously "walk up" and bind on the underside of the slide. You can check this with layout fluid or a magic marker. This was an expensive lesson for me...maybe it will help somebody else!

Mark

One bonehead simple thing to check. Make sure the ejector is tight, and that the retaining pin is fitted tightly to the ejector. The groove in the ejector should be a nice little radius, not a wallowed out groove. Sometimes a loose ejector can work fine for a while and then mysteriously "walk up" and bind on the underside of the slide. You can check this with layout fluid or a magic marker. This was an expensive lesson for me...maybe it will help somebody else!

Mark

I would assumed this would be a double edged sword of sorts. It would slow the slide down and cause improper ejection from the gun. My ejector is pinned and installed by someone I and several others on this forum really trust, but I will check it regardless. Even the best of the best make an error sometimes!

I want to thank all of those who have responded to my post. You have all put forth some very valid points to check. Also, thank you to those who PM'd me with recommendations of gunsmiths. I have spoken to a few and I will be sending the gun out shortly to be tuned by a professional. Even though my smith here in town is considered by many to be one of the "best of the best", I liken it to this scenario. If you take the best car chief in NASCAR and the best car chief in NHRA Top Fuel and switch them, they would both be good, but neither would be able to tune the others car to the best of their ability. They are both race cars with 4 wheels, but they each do a different thing and must be tuned accordingly

Check the bottom of the C-More bracket for excessive dings. Your empty cases are hitting the mount and bouncing back in the chamber. This will be an extractor issue. In addition, check to make sure the firing pin stop is setup correctly for an AFTEC.

That would be an ejector tuning issue. The extractor just pulls the case out, the ejector points it in the right direction. smile.gif

Good catch! I corrected my org post.

Ditto that on Benny. Recently sent an open gun to him that just wouldn't run. Had lots of ejection failures. In two weeks, it was back in my hands and running perfectly. He was fast and reasonable. He'll tell you that there's no magic there, just proper application of knowledge. I'm not so sure...