Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you slow shooters at ULSC?

G-ManBart

Good points, I'm guilty of holding the gun as if it won't go off. This is important because if it does go off and the bullet strikes within 10 feet of the shooter, its an AD DQ - but if it strikes the berm or a target, its just additional time to the COF or a late shot/extra shot, much better than a DQ.

Better read rules sections 8.3.7 and 10.4 again --- because that shot during "If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster" is a match DQ.....

8.3.7 “If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster” – After issuance of this command, the competitor is prohibited from firing (see Rule 10.4.3). While continuing to point the handgun safely downrange, the competitor must perform a final safety check of the handgun as follows:

8.3.7.4 If the gun does not prove to be clear, the Range Officer will resume the commands from Rule 8.3.6 (also see Rule 10.4.3).

10.4 Match Disqualification – Accidental Discharge

A competitor who causes an accidental discharge must be stopped by a Range Officer as soon as possible. An accidental discharge is defined as follows:

10.4.3 A shot which occurs while loading, reloading or unloading a handgun. This includes any shot fired during the procedures outlined in Rule 8.3.1 and Rule 8.3.7.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have been guilty of the quick ulsc. I seem to remember a nice German gentleman having to repeat ULSC.

If I could only remember his name?????????????

I have always stated to competitors that I RO that i have to actually see the chamber. 2 times I had a loaded round come out at me and a magazine with ammo clearly visible.

For those who are under the mistaken impression that a revolver shooter must pull the trigger after IFCHDH, I suggest rereading 8.3.7 ... with particular emphasis on 8.3.7.1 vs. 8.3.7.2. Self-loaders must pull the trigger to lower the hammer. As a revolver already has the hammer down when the cylinder is open(*), 8.3.7.2 is worded differently ... The wheel-gunner need only close the cylinder and holster. The part of the command "Hammer Down" is complied with under both situations.

(* I'm not aware of any double-action revolver that, properly functioning, will allow the cylinder to be opened if the hammer is cocked ... nor will it allow the hammer to be cocked while the cylinder is open.)

I compliment them on their swift ULSC procedure and ask them to do it again so that I may see. It's not a dick move, it's just me doing my job. I know it is ultimately the shooters responsibility to be sure that their firearm is clear when they leave the line, but I don't want it happening on my watch. Most shooter will gladly do it again.

Yup!

"I believe your pistol is clear sir but I need to see it just to make sure."

I DQ'ed a guy last year that got mouthy, he didn't like me much to begin with and was being rude and going through ULSC really fast before I had a chance to say anything. He kept doing it and I'd ask him to repeat it, he did it the next stage and I let is slide, then he did it again on the next stage, I said the commands again, he said he'd already done it, and turned and walked out of the box, with a mag in his gun. He apologized and has been much nicer since then.

What did you DQ him for? 10.6.1?

• 4 weeks later...

Newbie here. Not new to shooting, I am a certified RO in another shooting sport, and anyone offended by a gentle reminder of the proper procedure is either a jerk or a jerk. If you don't see clear, and just assume it is, and something happens, it is your @$$ on the line too. If they don't get that, then it doesn't matter what they think. I mean who cares, they're a jerk.

Gene