Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

D' Solve Cleaner From Brownells?

TriggerT

Just wanted to hear from anyone who has used the "D' Solve" cleaner from Brownells. If it works as advertised it would be great. The fact that it is diluted with water, and has no smell, makes my wonder though. If you have ever tried it, please share your thoughts with the class. :D

I used to use this prior to bluing a gun. It cleaned well, especially when heated up. It is like a detergent, not a petroleum product. It kinda looks like Tide. I don't think that you would want to use it as a general cleaner. I think that you have to give it a good rinse also, and if you want want the parts to dry, you need to heat the solution. Also, you will have to oil promptly.....

Mike

Trigger,

What are you looking to accomplish? Just something to clean the gun with?

If so, I have found Simple Green to de-grease the gun pretty well for cleaning (I doubt it would be good for pre-blueing though).

After cleaning with Simple Green I rinse in hot water, then blow dry, then lube.

I'll second the MP7 Pro. I buy a gallon (about $35) and pour into a 2.5 gallon pail and use it as a parts washer. I have a screen and brushes. It works great and I get about 8 months out of it. I tried doing the same with Simple Green, but it stunk up the work room and the Dehumidifier sucked the pail dry in a little over a month.

You know, I think that I had a senior moment.....I was recalling my use of "Dicropan" not d'solve. As I remember (here we go again) it was good as a parts cleaner, but with others results using Mpro7 you might try that as well.

sorry for the confusion,

Mike

I've used EcoTech cleaners from Finish Line Technologies.

EcoTech

They make several different types of citrus based solvents that work OK and have very little odor if that is your primary requirement. They aren't the best solvents, but work OK. It's available at most bike shops and a lot of sporting goods stores in aerosol or liquid concentrate form. Mostly I use it to clean my mags because it doesn't disolve my Gram's basepads like my main solvent.

For my guns I use an aerosol alcohol based flux remover called ProClean by MicroCare Corp. ProClean

It degreases as well as brake cleaners, but without the smell or fumes. It has a great little pistol grip dispenser with a built-in brush. The down side is price, but with the dispenser one can will clean many, many guns. Oil or rust preventative immediately after cleaning because there is NO oils left after cleaning. It's available in most electronics stores.

Well, what I am trying to do is get an inexpensive cleaner I can get the majority of grease and dirt off of my gun with, before I proceed with a detailed cleaning. i use Slide Glide, and love it. I do a COMPLETE cleaning of the gun every 3 to 4K rounds, and when I do, the gun is usually pretty dirty. It would be great to be able to just take the grips off of the gun, field strip it, and then put the parts in a solution to do most of the heavy cleaning.

I received a gift certifiacte from Brownells for X-Mas, and when I noticed this cleaner in their catalog it sounded interesting. I will be receiving a gallon of the stuff today, so I will let you all know how it works. I figured what the hell, it didn't really cost me anything, so I mind as well give it a try.

I have heard good things about Mpro7. What is it? How does it work? Where can I get it?

Thanks for all the good info thus far.

I receved the "D'Solve" from Brownells on Monday. Don't know if it was because of the VERY cold weather and the seal on the bottle broke, or because the UPS man left the package upside down, but about 1/4 of the gallon I ordered leaked out into the box.

Anyway, I followed the dirrections that were on the bottle, and let the parts soak in the 1 to 5 solution. I swished the solution around every 30 minutes or so, to try and help break things loose. After about 2.5 hours, all I had was a wet mess. Pretty much none of the crud had come off of any of my 1911 parts, and then I had the joy of going through and cleaning all of the now very wet, AND greasy parts.

All and all, I would NOT recomend this product.

I have some of the MP7 talked about in this thread on the way, and the next time I have to do any cleaning, I will give that a try.

Thanks to all for your input.

Not sure what kind of crud you are trying to remove, but would recommend this:

1) Get a gallon of acetone from Home Depot. That is the best for stripping gunk off metal parts (it does dissolve plastic or paint).

2) penetrating oil like Kroil is a great cleaner because it gets under and loosens almost anything. let parts soak overnight and then brush them. I soak barrels in it and the bore fouling comes out with a nylon brush.

3) I have MPro and it's okay, but not as good a cleaner as Shooter's Choice or Hoppes. But, MPro does not smell like those so you get extra points with the spousal unit for not stinking up the house. I have a quart bottle of it but don't use it much.

"It would be great to be able to just take the grips off of the gun, field strip it, and then put the parts in a solution to do most of the heavy cleaning."

If that's the target, get a gallon of mineral spirits from Home Depot and make a soak tank with a tupperware container. That will loosen most junk. Then brush it with a nylon brush until clean and then let the solvent evaporate off.

I still think a soak in Kroil is the ticket for getting the bore crud loose.