Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

44 to 45 thoughts

Joe4d

I like horses and I like shooting, A mounted shooting club has started in my state which is actually closer than my nearest USPSA club, ok here are some thoughts.

I have one gun and a rig but 2 guns are required, they must be 45 colt, I have a Ruger 44 magnum blackhawk 5.5" which is built on the standard Blackhawk frame I believe, My thoughts are to buy a 45 colt cylinder and swap it in Numrich lists them at $78 of course they are out of stock, my other thought was to ream a 44 cylinder which is pretty available but I would need to buy a reamer, I dont have a lathe. I guess I could also try to beg borrow or steal either a cylinder or a complete gun, Any reason I couldnt pretty much just drop in a Ruger Vaquero or blackhawk 45 colt cylinder ?

???????? You want to put a 45 cylinder in a 44 gun WITHOUT changing the barrel?

How does that work? Even if you are just going to shoot blanks, the potential is

there to try to cram a .452 bullet down a .429 bore. It doesn't sound like a

good idea.

Oh I guess I should add in mounted shooting we shoot gunpowder with a bit of cornmeal,

Seriously. What is your load? How much powder/cornmeal? How do you keep it in the brass?

Oh I guess I should add in mounted shooting we shoot gunpowder with a bit of cornmeal,

Seriously. What is your load? How much powder/cornmeal? How do you keep it in the brass?

Bob,

I don't know about load data but I figure a piece of cardboard between the powder and cornmeal and a piece of cardboard crimped in the case mouth would keep it in. Or you could use wax, Bill Jordan used to enlarge his primer pockets & shove empty, primed cases into a shallow tray of paraffin for shooting demonstrations.