Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Springfield vs. STI for USPSA SS

There a couple of nice Springfield 1911 PX9109LP & PX9151LP for sale in the local classifieds right now for $725 and I am seriously considering buying one for USPSA SS division and eventually IDPA. I was planning to get an STI Spartan or a Trojan but these Springfields seem to be priced right. What is your take on the STI's vs. The Springfields for competition? Will I have to add sights or ambi safety to one or the other thereby costing me more money in the long run. Also how do the triggers compare for those of you that have shot both? Will both brands need a trigger job regardless?

I can't give you first hand experience with a Springfield but I own and shoot a STI Spartan. For the money it's hard to beat the gun. It eats pretty much what ever I throw in it, usually hand loads for practice and USPSA and IPDA matches. I bought it from Dave Dawson and had him do a enhancement package on it and that's really it for extra work. I am very pleased with mine, granted I'm not a super smoking hot shooter.

Im a big fan of springfield guns and their customer service. They are well made guns. I think for USPSA evenually you will add a magwell and maybe a fiber optic front sight.

this is going to set you back like $150 for both parts.

Some 1911s have decent triggers for staters (my Kimber did) and they get better the more they are shot.

In my limited experience with both, my vote would be the STI. You can get it with either rear sight set up you want (Fixed or Bomar) and the FO front sight as well as ambi and magwell. Both have great customer service from what I have seen but quality on the Springfields I have owned are hit and miss. Have only had one problem with any STI I have ever owned.

STI builds thier guns, for the most part, for USPSA and IDPA. You can't beat them for a stock gun to shoot a match with. My .02.

In my limited experience with both, my vote would be the STI. You can get it with either rear sight set up you want (Fixed or Bomar) and the FO front sight as well as ambi and magwell. Both have great customer service from what I have seen but quality on the Springfields I have owned are hit and miss. Have only had one problem with any STI I have ever owned.

STI builds thier guns, for the most part, for USPSA and IDPA. You can't beat them for a stock gun to shoot a match with. My .02.

Unless your buying a GI or Mil Spec Springfield builds their guns also.

With that Dollar for Dollar I would probably go STI if I was going to buy new. Used you can typically buy a loaded model Springfield for 6-700 and then have the parts you want installed. If you like everything that is on the STI then I would go that route.

I bought my father a Mil-Spec 4-5 years ago just as a general shooter. I bought myself a Spartan last fall to shoot Single Stack.

The Mil-spec is a fine gun, accurate and reliable, but I wish I could have gotten him a Spartan back then instead, not only because I feel it's a tighter smoother gun, but I ended up changing the sights and trigger and grips on the Mil-spec for him. You'd think it was a Spartan if you glanced at it.

I would say Springfield is the only choice to consider, they are built on high quality steel forgings, their small parts are the same from the GI to the high end models. STI isn't the end all answer as some seem to think.

Rich

I would say Springfield is the only choice to consider, they are built on high quality steel forgings, their small parts are the same from the GI to the high end models. STI isn't the end all answer as some seem to think.

Rich

Hmmmm....the one Springfield slide I had on an Open gun cracked...the STI slides haven't (so far). R,

My STI slide cracked.

Did they replace it?

My buddy called me three days ago to say his SV slide was cracked. Some of this will be sample size. I'd wager that right now there are far more Open guns with STI and Caspian slides than anything else, with SV third....not too many Springer, Colt, Kimber, etc slides seem to be used these days. The more there are being used for the harshest conditions (lightened and then shot with hot ammo) will be the ones we see cracked the most frequently.

Not that this has anything to do with STI versus Springfield for SS :P

You really can't go terribly wrong with either brand. I'd buy a nice Springer if I got a deal on it...especially if it was in .40, but I've almost grabbed a TRP a couple of times.

Edited by G-ManBart