Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optimum barrel length?

I am looking to get an ICORE specific revolver. I am still unsure about what exact model to shop for and what is the best length of barrel for ICORE.

I am thinking perhaps something around a 6" length would be the best.

Opinions? smile.gif

Merlin, Merlin, Merlin, Don't you know that longer and bigger is always better :lol:

I just had to do that before Cliff did.

I have 5" barrels on my guns and Little FFL has a 6" barrel. I have seen ICORE gun barrels to a super short 2" to almost 8" in length. Some of the things to consider are weight as well as what load you are going to shoot.

ffl

I am thinking on the same lines.....cheers.gif

As a side observation....... You revolver guys scare me. I am afraid that by going to the wheel my delicate sensibilities may be corrupted as the wheelie group is obviously a bunch of perverted rowdies....surprise.gif

Edited by Merlin Orr

I use a 4 inch barrel on my ICORE gun(s). I'm not a big guy, and I feel like the slightly shorter tube is easier for me to muscle around on transitions between targets. Plus, it's easier for me to clear a holster with the shorter tube.

Merlin, if it is a stock gun we are talking about, weight distribution is what matters. Having the weight on the barrel tends to hamper the revos ability to stop and you will still be swaying when you should be shooting. The weight towards the grip will keep the revo steady when there is more than 1 shot per target. The 6 inch L frame has good balance as does the 5 inch N frame. These are the ones with the underlug. A skinier barrel can be longer and still have good balance with a good sight radius. In the Open gun with custom barrels and dots a 5 inch is a good medium as long as the balance feels right. Clear as mud? :unsure: later rdd

As a side observation....... You revolver guys scare me. I am afraid that by going to the wheel my delicate sensibilities may be corrupted as the wheelie group is obviously a bunch of perverted rowdies....surprise.gif

So What is your Point??? :P:lol:

on a more serious side. bubber is right, weight distribution is important I should know.

Edited by ffl

Merlin, if it is a stock gun we are talking about, weight distribution is what matters. Having the weight on the barrel tends to hamper the revos ability to stop and you will still be swaying when you should be shooting. The weight towards the grip will keep the revo steady when there is more than 1 shot per target. The 6 inch L frame has good balance as does the 5 inch N frame. These are the ones with the underlug. A skinier barrel can be longer and still have good balance with a good sight radius. In the Open gun with custom barrels and dots a 5 inch is a good medium as long as the balance feels right. Clear as mud? :unsure: later rdd

OK Bubber,,, so what is The Holy Grail on the perfect gun? I have a lot of friends in the biz and can probably find about any configuration out there...

All I have to do is decide which.wink.gif

OK Bubber,,, so what is The Holy Grail on the perfect gun? I have a lot of friends in the biz and can probably find about any configuration out there...

All I have to do is decide which.wink.gif

Stock or Open? Smith, Ruger, Taraus, or Colt? 6, 8, or more? With the open gun with a Dot of some sort the need for a longer barrel is negated. You do not need the sight radius. And just enought barrel length to make it feel right to you. I have a 4 inch S&W 8 shot in 357 and I am considering putting a JP comp on it for Steel but it feels great with the weight just over my hand and the recoil is slight. A 3 inch N Frame in 38 super or 357 with shorter brass may be ticket. Your loads are to be tuned with the gun. I have my old K Frame open Revos several L frames and a N frame in 38 calibers. For ICORE I use the 627 in 38 super. What revo do you have now? Which one feels better to you? What is its strength and what would you like to change? I was very lucky my freinds were on the cutting edge of the open revo and not encumbered about trying concepts used on shot guns and semi auto. We had one L frame set up with Mercury in underlug to compensate for recoil. You could feel the recoil start and abruptly stop. There is just so many variations that will work. Gene even went so far as getting barrel blanks with a 1 in 10 twist for better accuracy. Worked outstanding with the 160 grain bullet but needed to be tweaked for the lighter ones. I'm starting to ramble huh? I'd love to talk about stuff like this but Gene, Phil and Randy are so much better qualified to speak on the subject. :bow: Along with many other revo smiths that I may not even know about. later rdd

Showing my total lack of knowledge regarding revolvers - another question... S&W 19-4...357. There are recesses for the brass to fit flush into cylinder.

Do you chamfer the openings?

Is the Model 19-4 even a good choice?

Merlin,

One never needs a reason to buy another revolver - one just does!

Yes, you can chamfer the cylinder on the Mdl. 19. The 19 would be good choice in retro class and if it is a 4" barrel you could use in SSR in IDPA. I am very fond of K frames and it is hard to go wrong with a Mdl.14 with a 6" barrel. For ICORE it really depends on which division you want to shoot as Bubber stated. It really is dominated by the 8shot revolvers in either .38 Super or .38/.357. in limited/open. For retro most K & L frames will fit the bill. I like to shot snubbies and used a 3" Mdl. 13 until I ran across a 3" 625. Also, as Bubber stated the balance is really a deciding factor. That is why I like 3" revolvers. I love the balance. Try several types and find the one that fits you best. Good shooting.

• 2 months later...

I've shot the 5" N frame 38's and much prefer the 6.5" barrelled 610's. The 5" guns seem to flip more and with the same minor load, I can keep the 610 on target MUCH easier and the second follow up shot doesn't need as much to get the gun back on target. Yes it is heavy, but I've always liked the longer sight picture and the recoil dampening of the larger gun. My advice is to try both and see what you like.

Bubber has this subject nailed.... it is more about weight distribution rather than barrel length or sheer mass. I prefer my 4" K frame for the fast stuff and the 6" for slower, more precise shooting.

The 5" N frame has great balance with more weight, but still allows good target transitions without overswing.

Your 6" 586 is a good compromise.... try lighter projectiles travelling a bit faster to get the best results from the longer barrel.