Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock 22 for production

bulm540

Why not the 17 or 34 model for Production?

I've used 11, 13, and 15# on my G17 and G22 and prefer the 11# on both, but it's all relative to the shooter's preference. Try running all three to see which one works for you and your load.

That's waht I have right now. I usually shoot limited. JUst wanted to shoot some production. I already loaded some 40 minor with WST and they are soft. Wil be using 180 moly coated for now.

Edited by bulm540

15 or 13 lb., try both and decide. When I was running minor 40 in a G35 in Production,

the ISMI 13 lb worked better for me. Made the gun just a bit quicker, and the sight

recovery was right on. 15 lb felt a little sluggish, and it drove the slide down a bit

on the forward stroke. YMMV

What's wrong with the factory one?

Lots. So much of perceived recoil and muzzle flip is caused by the slide overcoming and compressing the recoil spring, and that energy gets passed on to you. Lessen the amount of energy required to do that by going to a lighter recoil spring, you lessen perceived recoil and muzzle flip. The Glock 17 was originally designed to fire European spec 9mm with a pressure and recoil level that in the U.S. we would consider +P+. Thus its 17-pound recoil spring is quite a bit heavier than is really required for U.S. spec standard pressure 9mm. The downloaded .40 in Production division likewise does not really call for a 17-pound recoil spring. Most shooters in Production run either an ISMI 13-pound recoil spring or a Wolff 14-pounder. This gives us much more manageable guns with no loss of reliability.

I run a 13lb IMSI spring in my G35 shooting minor (180gr @ ~130pf). I ran a 15lb spring and had some feeding problems when running close the 125pf floor, the 13lb spring cleared that right up. I also noticed that the 15lb spring made the gun seem really sluggish and slow to recover from every shot.

I did experiment with cutting coils off a 15lb spring to reduce the preload at lock up but still maintain a 15lb rate during slide travel. Cutting 3 coils off did the trick and it would cycle at 125pf but the 13lb spring still felt quicker in my hand. Just food for thought.