Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cat Tail modification for Z6i

Alan Adamson

All,

Figured I'd share. I have a Z6i and wanted a Scope throw lever for it. In searching around and talking with others, it seems that it's a pretty close match to the Kdot lever. I talked to Chris at 3gunstuff.com and bought one of the Kdot cattails. It took a little tweaking, but really not much as it turned out.

The diameter of the Z6 is just a smidge larger than the Kdot, and also the tab on the zoom ring is different. The Kdot has a short flat tab, and the Z6 has a taller one that also tapers from the front of the zoom ring to way behind it. This meant that I needed to grab the dremel and just put a little bit of a taper on the notch where the tab goes in the tail itself. Basically I put an angle on the notch from just at the edge of the closest hole to about 2/3-3/4 the way up the flat that makes up the notch.

From the following pictures, you should be able to figure out what I did.

That last thing I did was to get some nylon flat washers for 2-56 screws, these are the type that have a little X cut in them and are meant to be pressed onto the screw such that they don't come back off easily. 2 of them between the 2 ring halfs was all it took, this allowed for just a little compression of the rubber, but no significant binding of the mechanism. I probably need to put a couple of strips of double sided clear tape on the tail halfs and put this together one more time, but for now it works perfectly.

DSCN0349.JPG

DSCN0350.JPG

DSCN0351.JPG

DSCN0352.JPG

DSCN0355.JPG

DSCN0356.JPG

Edited by Alan Adamson

• 7 months later...