Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training w/o a gun?

5early

I'm going to be out of town for an extended period of time. Most of my time is going to be in the St. Louis area but there will be trips out of the country so i can't even take an airsoft gun to practice with. What can I do to keep my skills as polished as possible for two months of downtime?

Thanks for any good ideas,

Keith

I'm going to be out of town for an extended period of time. Most of my time is going to be in the St. Louis area but there will be trips out of the country so i can't even take an airsoft gun to practice with. What can I do to keep my skills as polished as possible for two months of downtime?

Thanks for any good ideas,

Keith

On eBay there's a vendor that sells many different blue guns for about $50: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270513281023&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT. I haven't purchased from them, but I sent them an email and they said that their blue guns are the same weight as the real item. It wouldn't be an ideal solution, but in you bring your rig you might be able to use it for dry fires if they have something that matches your competition gun.

Yeah, your pretty limited on your options. A blue gun is an option. Are you staying at a hotel?? Another option is finding a forum member who lives around St Louis and see if you can leave the gun with them when traveling out of the country. You might be able to make it to a range for some live fire. Maybe if you already own an airsoft gun you can just take it. You don't have use propane but you'll be able to pull the trigger and practice reloads unlike the blue gun.

Flyin

Yep, flying up, flying around while there and flying back. Staying in a hotel while there and not in the room much. Looks like I'm relegated to reading benos forums and wishing I were shooting.

Keith

The hotel will probably have gym of some sort-- use the opportunity to tone up at least.

Try Matt Burkett's water bottle drill for shooting on the move, do in the hotel hallways and freak out everybody. Given the way security has tightened around the world I would not want to pack anything that even looked like a gun even a toy gun with an orange end.

Yep, flying up, flying around while there and flying back. Staying in a hotel while there and not in the room much. Looks like I'm relegated to reading benos forums and wishing I were shooting.

Keith

The hotel will probably have gym of some sort-- use the opportunity to tone up at least.

God knows I could use that!

Try Matt Burkett's water bottle drill for shooting on the move, do in the hotel hallways and freak out everybody. Given the way security has tightened around the world I would not want to pack anything that even looked like a gun even a toy gun with an orange end.

that's pretty much where I'm at. Although I did not have to check a bag. Now I just have to find somewhere around to buy a cheap pocket knife to have while I'm here.

There are several things you can do without a gun.

1. Work on entering exiting positions. Since you don't have a gun you can focus entirely on footwork.

2. Work on strange start positions, getting out of a bed or chair to go grab your "gun" on the desk. (hotel remote control)

3. Work on footspeed and general fitness.

4. Eye exercises

This got me thinking of when I pitched in college. I'm a big guy (6'5 210) and I was terribly slow off the mound to field bunts. Until I had arm surgery that meant I couldn't throw a baseball for 9 months. So I worked on fielding bunts for 9 months (without throwing the ball), my trouble getting off the mound went away and I was a better pitcher without throwing a pitch for almost a year.

You might not be able to practice shooting but there is a lot more to the sport than shooting.

Edited by Shibby

Items:

Tennis ball

String

Procedure:

Tie the string to the tennis ball. Tie the string to a fan (but any where with enough room to swing the tennis ball will work i guess) and watch the tennisball swing around. It's boring/repetitive and a great eye-speed drill.

• 5 weeks later...