Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LEE LOADMASTER

They are being somewhat overly cautious. Federal primers, in particular, are softer than others and there have been cases of accidental detonation in a progressive press. The main thing is to be careful to keep the ram clear of debris and adjust the pressure so as to not crush the primers.

Why does Lee state to ONLY use CCI or Winchester primers with the Loadmaster..

Lee states quite clearly why.

The Lee press has the primers aimed towards your face. Not something you want to take chances with.

I added the shield, and still only used CCI primers. Never went kaboom.

It would ram the punch sideways too often. After it self destructed a few times, I quit priming on the press. A lot of Loadmaster users have given up, and prime with a hand held unit, off the press.

Edited by wide45

• 4 weeks later...

It was on this board where I read several cases of people blowing up primer feeders, on Dillon also, using Federal primers. I'm going to stick with CCI and Winchester. Federal is just to touchy and uses the "old" formula that CCI and Winchester moved away from.

I added the shield, and still only used CCI primers. Never went kaboom.

It would ram the punch sideways too often. After it self destructed a few times, I quit priming on the press. A lot of Loadmaster users have given up, and prime with a hand held unit, off the press.

I added the shield & never went kaboom with winchesters but after hundreds of upside down or sideways primers,& dozens of replacement primer sliders, I gave up & bought a used dillon 550. I never looked back & finally unloaded the loadmaster on some guy that said he could fix anything. I believe he had it for sale a few months later.

If you are gonna load on a loadmaster, I highly recommend the shield. Safety glasses as well.

Good luck,

MLM

When I had my Loadmaster, I lit off a full tray of primers. The only reason I didn't get blasted in the face is because I was way on the left side of the press. I called Lee, and they SOLD me a blast shield.

I now have a Dillon 550, and even though it's a little slower that the few times the Lee actually ran, I don't miss all the problems I had with the Lee!

When I had my Loadmaster, I lit off a full tray of primers. The only reason I didn't get blasted in the face is because I was way on the left side of the press. I called Lee, and they SOLD me a blast shield.

I now have a Dillon 550, and even though it's a little slower that the few times the Lee actually ran, I don't miss all the problems I had with the Lee!

++1000

Started with a lee setup. Had lots of problems, even blew a Winchester primer.

Dillion was well work the money just to not have to fiddle with press every dozen rounds or so.

MDA

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Loadmaster. I had to fiddle with it alittle when I first got it. Loadmastervideos.com really helped. It runs pretty good now. Yesterday I loaded 400 45 ACP and 300 9MM with only 1 tipped primer on the 45's. and I was using Winchester primers. I have never had a problem with priming on the press unless I short stroked it. Do I think it's as good as a Dillon. NO. What will be my next press? More then likely a Dillon. But it serves the purpose for now. And by judging what people pay on Ebay(DUMB) for used Loadmasters I shouldn't loose very much when I sell it. Everybody can't afford to buy Dillon. But if you don't mind tinkering a little Lee is not bad. And I think in the long run it has made me better at reloading because you learn to watch out for the problems more on a Lee. MY .2

• 1 month later...

Put a sizing die in the 2nd station with the decap stem removed, and take the adjustment bolt out for primer depth and smooth the lettering off the face.

This will cut down on flipped primers.

I bought one loadmaster, and had another given to me for free. I can run about 800 rounds an hour with em, loading a few trays up with 200 primers each.

Edited by TimWarner

• 3 weeks later...

Put a sizing die in the 2nd station with the decap stem removed, and take the adjustment bolt out for primer depth and smooth the lettering off the face.

I bought one loadmaster, and had another given to me for free. I can run about 800 rounds an hour with em, loading a few trays up with 200 primers each.

Tim thanks for the tip , forwarded to a buddy for future use

I put the sizing die on station 2 also - it didnt help that much. I went to hand priming and then loading rounds on the LM - What pushed me to sell it was the constant issues with the shell indexing and the lack of case feeder for .223 - I would have gotten a 550 but the lack of case feed pushed me to a 650.

• 1 year later...

I put the sizing die on station 2 also - it didnt help that much. I went to hand priming and then loading rounds on the LM - What pushed me to sell it was the constant issues with the shell indexing and the lack of case feeder for .223 - I would have gotten a 550 but the lack of case feed pushed me to a 650.

I can tell that if you let the carrier adjustment get off , it adversely affects primer function .

I re-adjust the carrier alignment every so often , but indexing has not really a problem .

I try to check the shell plate knurl nut and knurled screw that holds the turret , after every 25 - 50 rounds .

Tap the primer tray ever 3 - 5 rounds .

Do not screw the dies down too far , allow the ram to come up as far as it can .

So far I have been using Winchester primers . But when I run out I will probably start using Wolf . Do I bought the explosion shield .

God bless

Wyr