Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200gr.+ Solo 1000 in the Limited .40

pivoproseem

Yes, I've done a search...

I'm currently running a Limited .40 with a lightened slide (like a Limited custom or Gold team). My load now is a 185gr Precision moly with @4.6gr of Solo 1000. I've been interested in going to a 200gr bullet, but wonder if it will feel slow in the Limited? Anyone running this combo? Cha-Lee??

Thanks!

Pivoproseem> I don't have any experience with Solo 1000 powder so I am not sure how it would work with a 200gr bullet. I do shoot with a guy that uses Solo 1000 exclusively in his STI. He is on this forum as well. His user name is SA Friday. Shoot him a PM with your Solo 1000 load questions. I have tried 180gr and 200gr bullets with Clays powder and the only difference I noticed was the recoil felt more like a thud verses a snap. I know you can make 200gr bullets shoot pretty soft in recoil, but to me the little difference it makes isn't worth the extra cost of the 200gr bullets. I just use 180gr FMJ's and go out and shoot. I think its more important to pick a load to shoot and then stick with it so you get use to how it shoots. Every load shoots a little different and it changes the timing and feel of the recoil cycle. The difference in recoil timing will probably throw you off more than the actual shooting difference of the new load. So once again, pick a load that works and stick with it. Shooting good is hard enough without adding another variable of continually changing your load setup.

How true. I should just stick with my current load, it's well tested and I've had zero problems with it. I know I don't want to have to buy 1000 bullets to see if I like the 200gr bullet. I tried the Clays before, feels great, but my range pickup brass doesn't like it! The Solo hasn't ever separated a case head on me.

Shooting good is hard enough without adding another variable of continually changing your load setup.

Holy $#&*! 50 lbs....

I know one thing, a pile of Clays and a stream of powder from it...will go up in a pillar of flame like a rocket exhaust! I know this because I once put some Universal Clays in a jar of Clays and had to dispose of it.

Yeah, shooting Clays is kind of like dancing with the devil when it comes to over pressure situations. But when you have almost 50lbs of Clays to use up like I do you get use to stepping into the ring with the beast :devil:

I use solo exclusively in my Limited and also in a Glock and an XD. I use 185gr black bullets and 4.5 gr solo. I DID try the 200's and to be honest didnt notice enough difference to bother. The 185's work well so didnt bother to change it after trying.

I personally think you can overdue the "soft" recoil. I switched to a 6" Limited gun last year and loaded the same 180 gr Zero JHP that I was loading in the 5" gun. I reduced the powder charge to achieve the same PF as the 5" but the gun felt sluggish in comparison. The 6" slide is lightened. I decided to test some other loads and ended up with a 155 gr Precision bullet over 5.4 gr N-320 @ 1.170 OAL. The recoil is a little snappier but the sights track straight up and down and recover faster than the slower heavy bullet. By the same token I loaded some 155s for the 5" gun and did not like them. I have two friends who load 200 gr bullets with Clays in thier 5" guns and shoot them extremely well.

Some people like the feel of the 200gr bullet over the 180/185gr. The gun just feels sluggish when I tried them out a while back. I just didn't feel any advantage shooting the heavier bullet. I've never tried them with Solo 1000, but the feel of the slower moving slide and pretty much equal recoil put me off from retesting them with other powders.

Edited by SA Friday