Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 crushed primers

I just picked up a 1050 setup in 9mm to load for my open gun. I was debating between a 650 and a 1050. I ended going with a 1050 for the swager since I have about 1100 pounds of once fired brass and most of it is crimped Federal NT. When I was loading I was getting a bunch of crushed primers. I thought it was a swagining issue but after I took off the priming system about every 3 rounds I processed some brass through without and primed on a friend’s 650 with no issues. I’m having issues with all brands of brass through the machine. I called Dillon last week and was less than pleased with the response of “Your brass is bad, get rid of it”. Any ideas of what else to check? It seems like the priming system is messed up which I could see happening from a lot of use but right after getting the machine. Right now it feels like I’m stuck with a pricey paper weight.

I just picked up a 1050 setup in 9mm to load for my open gun. I was debating between a 650 and a 1050. I ended going with a 1050 for the swager since I have about 1100 pounds of once fired brass and most of it is crimped Federal NT. When I was loading I was getting a bunch of crushed primers. I thought it was a swagining issue but after I took off the priming system about every 3 rounds I processed some brass through without and primed on a friend’s 650 with no issues. I’m having issues with all brands of brass through the machine. I called Dillon last week and was less than pleased with the response of “Your brass is bad, get rid of it”. Any ideas of what else to check? It seems like the priming system is messed up which I could see happening from a lot of use but right after getting the machine. Right now it feels like I’m stuck with a pricey paper weight.

2 quick responses

- This topic has been hashed to death here on the forums, just use search, you'll be amazed. I was, and resolved most of my issue as a result

- I had the exact same setup for the exact same reason. Came from Dillon all setup right - WRONG.

Read the setup for pistol cases about 2/3's way thru the manual and then check your swaging station, mine wasn't even close and as a result, the shell plate was buckling from the swaging ram (the upper support ram wasn't even close to the bottom inside of the case). Especially with crimped brass, if you don't get a good swage, your primer is doomed, more importantly your whole press is when you light up a full primer tube because you crush one and set it off.

Lastly, to verify, find some non-crimped brass and try those, I'm betting they will go thru just fine.

Alan

I had the same problem with mine when I first got it. First make sure the primer transfer bar (the part that moves the primer from the primer tube and move it under the case) is clean and the there is no debris in there. My new machine had some junk in there and it was tipping the primers. Next check the adjustment of case holder tab (little white plastic bar). If the case is too loose the primer will not line up. After that it comes down to primer pockets and on some cases my machine will crush the primer, it will fall out the bottom and I won't know about it until I see powder trailing along next to the shell plate.

First off, the NT brass is a pain in the ass, period. I loaded up several K of it in .40, and set up the swager to do them properly. I still had some primers that crushed, even with most all the others swaged properly and seating the primers OK. Unless you are going to swage them one by one, or use a hand tool and process the brass by hand, You are going to get what you get with the NT brass, period. It is not the 1050.....

To set up the swager to do the best it can....

Pull off the plastic tab that adjusts the case in the primer station.

You need to put a deprimed case into the second station of the press with the swage rod loosened up so it is not swaging. Then pull the handle down and leave it down. Adjust down the Top swage/belling Screw down into the case until it is tight, but not too tight. You will need to work the handle up and down and play with the adjustment until you get it right. Now you can start adjusting the swage rod up into the primer pocket area. Run it up into the primer pocket until you can see it doing some swage. Then set it in the priming station and seat a primer. You will be able to see and feel if it has enough swage, and you can use multiple cases to keep adjusting the swage until the primers seat right. Just realize there is a sweet spot and you can swage too much. It will probably take you about 5-6 cases primed until you figure it out.

I would also recommend to use Federal primers, as they are a little bit softer and will slide into the flash hole a little easier....

If these things dont help, replace the blue tip on the bottom of your inner primer tube. It may be chewed up and causing the primers not to drop into the primer slide correctly.

Eliminate one thing at a time. This is an incredible machine, and with a little tweak it should serve you well......

Good luck,

DougC

I had the same problem with mine when I first got it. First make sure the primer transfer bar (the part that moves the primer from the primer tube and move it under the case) is clean and the there is no debris in there. My new machine had some junk in there and it was tipping the primers. Next check the adjustment of case holder tab (little white plastic bar). If the case is too loose the primer will not line up. After that it comes down to primer pockets and on some cases my machine will crush the primer, it will fall out the bottom and I won't know about it until I see powder trailing along next to the shell plate.

If it spits a mangled primer out the back of the machine, check the rubber sleeve on the primer slide.

If these things dont help, replace the blue tip on the bottom of your inner primer tube. It may be chewed up and causing the primers not to drop into the primer slide correctly.

I remember breaking the edges on the hole in the primer slide with a dremel, a pointed polishing tip and some jewelers rouge. That helped my press immensely, in letting primers drop straight into the primer slide from the magazine....

Did I ever mention that the 1050 has to be mounted ROCK SOLID?

I mean, no movement on the loading bench at all...... none.

I had something new last week. After loading 1000 rounds for the sweetheart,

and getting about 30 smashed primers, I discovered that the primer magazine had

started to come out of it's mounting fitting, the machined part that the magazine

is pressed into, and that bolts onto the press. Took it apart, cleaned it up a bit

and lock-tighted it back into the fitting. A couple thou rounds later with no

smashed primers.

Important item to keep in stock is a piece of 1/8" rubber tubing. When this wears out you WILL have troubles.

Plus on the mount it solid. This applies to both the 650 and the 1050.

Smooth moves, just like running a stage, no herky jerky, Smooth goes the distance.

Jim