Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin Stop

3quartertime

I haven't seen this dicussed before.

I've just noticed that my firing pin stop seems to be mushrooming on the inside. The fit between the pin and stop isn't perfect. What causes this. Is it a major problem? Nothing is cracked YET!!! But I know that there is cold working going on on that part of the stop, which will harden it to the eventual point of making it brittle. I'm ordering some stops now!!! I haven't noticed any function problems but after Erik W's timing posts I'm thinking how important the fit of the stop is,,,

This is an STI stop in my P16. The pin is stock.

I fitted the stop myself. Did I just make it too loose? Doesn't feel like the fit of the stop is really loose. Actually this one is the one I thought I did the better job on.

Any ideas???

I'm having a hard time visualizing...

..where is it "mushrooming"?

Is it the inboard side of the firing-pin hole (in the stop), or the edges?

Is it possible the stop wasn't heat treated correctly? soft?

Anything else exhibit wear or damage.....Hammer, firing-pin?

Hmmmm...... <_<

I knew this would be a hard one to describe. Wish I had a digital camera!!!

No other wear on any other part that I can notice. The best way I can think of to describe it is if you tried to pound a firing pin into the hole in the stop that was too big. It would cause damage to the stop in a circular pattern around the smaller hole. The more you did it it would cause the metal to ' mushroom' out leaving a ridge.

Check to be sure the firing pin stop has a chamfer around the hole in the firing pin stop (it should). If it does not and you have a radius on the surface of the firing pin where it contacts the firing pin stop then you will get some peening. You can use a countersink to chamfer the hole if it is needed.