Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Progressive Press

eapnat

Hello all, new to the forum!

Sorry if the question has been addressed but, I could not find any reference in the threads.

What is the typical method of dispencing powder in a progressive press? Do some meters work better than others for handling the range of powder types (cylinder, ball, flake, etc)?

I'm looking to start doing a lot of reloading of .223's for my AR-15 and some of the powders that work the best are extruded powders and do not work well through a lot of standard meters.

So any thoughts would be helpfull. Thanks!

Although I know a lot of guys that use extruded powders with a powder measure, and they seem to think .3 grain variance is o.k., I'm too anal, and run all extruded powders through an RCBS Chargemaster.

I'll run 748, H-335, TAC, ect. through the powder measure.

Sorry if the question has been addressed but, I could not find any reference in the threads.

What is the typical method of dispencing powder in a progressive press? Do some meters work better than others for handling the range of powder types (cylinder, ball, flake, etc)?

I'm looking to start doing a lot of reloading of .223's for my AR-15 and some of the powders that work the best are extruded powders and do not work well through a lot of standard meters.

I run a RCBS powder measure with the case activated linkage on my 1050 and 650 with all powders, all calibers. works very well with the stick powders, and the ball or flake powders.

jj

I run a RCBS powder measure with the case activated linkage on my 1050 and 650 with all powders, all calibers. works very well with the stick powders, and the ball or flake powders.

jj

My RCBS powder measure doesn't do any better with stick powders than my Dillon. If I was happy with .3 grains difference, I'd use either. But, then again, some people are happy with a rifle that will do 1" groups at 100 yards-- I'm not.

Thanks for the help.

Just a point of note: I am fully accepting the fact that I'm sacrificing accuracy to get a high volume of rounds. These are just for recreational shooting.

If I want to make the best group I'll sit down and hand load each round.

jj

My RCBS powder measure doesn't do any better with stick powders than my Dillon. If I was happy with .3 grains difference, I'd use either. But, then again, some people are happy with a rifle that will do 1" groups at 100 yards-- I'm not.

I use a scale that is accurate to .04 gns and displays to hundreths. I am NOT happy with .3 gn differences, in fact, I try to load powder to .05 accuracy at least. Varget, and the other stick powders I use all meter within these parameters with this setup of RCBS measures, that's why I put it together that way. The worse powder I use with this setup is Universal Clays, and it still is +- .1

jj

jj

I use a scale that is accurate to .04 gns and displays to hundreths. I am NOT happy with .3 gn differences, in fact, I try to load powder to .05 accuracy at least. Varget, and the other stick powders I use all meter within these parameters with this setup of RCBS measures, that's why I put it together that way. The worse powder I use with this setup is Universal Clays, and it still is +- .1

jj

Wow, I wish I could get .05 grain consistancy out of one of my powder measures with Varget!

Yer right, I just loaded a bunch of 308 with Varget, and kept it within +-.1 gn with my setup...not .05, couldn't hold it. The technique I use is trying to be as consistent as possible when operating the press, seems the more the powder measure wiggles and shakes the worse the variance gets with Varget.

tough on a 650, probably easier on a 1050.

jj

• 5 weeks later...

If you drop the powder manually, with a trickler, you will get exact weight. Now, do you seperate you brass by interior volume, weight each case, uniform each flash hole, etc. If not, the rely on the press do do it's job. You'll be happy with the results.

Edited by Mike Morcillo