Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Plate Stage

John Dunn

Talked to a friend today who described a stage he used to shoot at a steel match in Montana. It consisted of a single 8" plate at fifty yards, had a thirty second time limit. You would stoke up all the mags you thought you could use and blast away. Your score was the number of hits. I was wondering what a good score on this one would be, with a limited gun.

I did a version of this stage. I once put 2 poppers at 50 yards in a 18+ round assault, I mean field course. This was before serious gaming, or we were just too stupid or smart, so everybody tried to shoot it. If I remember right a .45 Limited shooter won the stage. He might have had a comp. It was a while ago.

at a recent match, there was a extra fun shoot stage. Gun in condition 2 on top of a desk.

At the buzzer shooter will engage an egg at 10 yards. through a port. The egg must fall for one to go to the next door which has 2 mini poppers at 12 yards and a 8 inch plate at the same range.

At the last port there is another egg at 20 yards.

I shot it at 9.3 seconds second best for that shoot. The best got it at 8.6 and won the air rifle.

Used my iron sighted svi it was an evil stage luckyly i was able to get the second egg in 2 shots :)

At the last Pima Pistol Club 3-Gun, Nov.30. we did a stage that was somthing new.

We set up A Tombstone Tactical Auto Resetting Rack at 45yrds.(a " TTAR-2",with the 6" round plates), and a pistol plate rack at 12 yrds. The stage walk through read as follows. From box A, rifle loaded at low ready, on start engage 4 TTAR plates with one rd. each, (3 primary plates and 1 reset plate) Vir. Count. off hand only, record time,repeat string for a total time for the 2 runs with a 10 sec. pen. for any misses, or procedurals.Then move to box B and do the same with the pistol on the 12 yrd rack.

The purpose was to make the shooters take the time to make the hits. almost all shooters started too fast and had misses. Salim D. won the stage with -20 in pen. Tim M.also had -20. was 2nd in stage. Match Winner Kelly N. had -40 and I had -50 with a 2nd place match finish. I only saw Kelly shoot. He and I started too fast and missed 2 of the 4 TTAR plates 1st string. 4-for 4 the 2nd. easy shoots that were stressed buy the infamous "Beeper Lobotomy".

The overall opinion was that the stage was a good learning experience, that we should use again.

The Match results are posted on TTTargets.com.

John:

What a great day. Bright sunshine, no wind and a balmy 17 degrees. I tried your drill but I cheated. I used a 10 inch Steel Challenge stop plate at fifty yards and I also used my open blaster. I only shot the thing once and I came up with 34 hits in the 30 second time limit.