Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

remington 7 1/2 vs. winchester small rifle primer?

jaredr

have so far always used WSR primers for .223 (typically 24 gr of AA2230 & 55gr hornady or montana gold fmj). like most, i'm having difficulty getting any more, but one distributor has indicated I may have better luck with remington. subject line pretty much says it all - anyone have any first hand experience for/against the remington 7 1/2? would like to check before i convert my backorder and end up with a gajillion of them. thx in advance, jaredr

jaredr,

I am actually doing some testing tomorrow with my accuracy loads. The one variable I am adjusting is primer. I am moving from WSR to Remington 7-1/2 Benchrest. Here is the load data I will be testing:

Caliber - .223

Bullet - Hornady 75gr. BTHP Match

Brass - Remington R&P (New)

Primer - Remington 7-1/2 Benchrest

Powder - Varget (22.4; 22.6; 22.8; 23.0; 23.2; 23.4; 23.6; 23.8)

I will share my results with you tomorrow.

Cheers,

Kyle

jaredr,

I am actually doing some testing tomorrow with my accuracy loads. The one variable I am adjusting is primer. I am moving from WSR to Remington 7-1/2 Benchrest. Here is the load data I will be testing:

Caliber - .223

Bullet - Hornady 75gr. BTHP Match

Brass - Remington R&P (New)

Primer - Remington 7-1/2 Benchrest

Powder - Varget (22.4; 22.6; 22.8; 23.0; 23.2; 23.4; 23.6; 23.8)

I will share my results with you tomorrow.

Cheers,

Kyle

thanks, keen to hear what you find.

jaredr,

Ran my 8 trials today then ran some of my other loads with the WSR primers. The point of impact was almost exactly the same between the two primer combinations.

I would say, steady as she goes with the 7-1/2 benchrest

Good luck!

Kyle

• 1 month later...

have so far always used WSR primers for .223 (typically 24 gr of AA2230 & 55gr hornady or montana gold fmj). like most, i'm having difficulty getting any more, but one distributor has indicated I may have better luck with remington. subject line pretty much says it all - anyone have any first hand experience for/against the remington 7 1/2? would like to check before i convert my backorder and end up with a gajillion of them. thx in advance, jaredr

I wish I'd have found out about Remington 7.5 BR primers years ago. They are much more consistent for me in my .223 loads.

I used winchester exclusively simply because the REM's were more money but the results are worth the few bucks extra. Many HP shooters agree and use Rem 7.5 BR's. They certainly improved my groups.

Now, I do reserve them for loads over 200 yards and with 68gr or heavier bullets using Varget or TAC.

If they are available, get them and you'll be glad you did.

• 4 weeks later...