Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wearing gloves

dmshozer1

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my wrists. Because of scar tissue, I now have PAIN in my hands when I shoot!

Wearing gloves helps. Is this legal in IDPA?

Thanks

As far as I know, it is not specifically called out as being illegal in the IDPA rule book. I have always been lead to believe that it is up to the individual club, it may be veiwed as a safety issue, or the MD. I would ask the MD. Some people may consider gloves to be a "competetive advantage". I don't think they are. When it was cold, I've worn "Mechanix" gloves to shoot. I think you should be fine since it is a medical issue.

I've seen a number of people whose jobs require them to wear protective gloves - SWAT cops, military guys - wear them at matches, IDPA and USPSA, and no one's ever said boo. Granted this comes under the "shoot with your duty gear" proviso, still I can't imagine anyone saying boo either to a guy who just had carpal tunnel surgery.

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my wrists. Because of scar tissue, I now have PAIN in my hands when I shoot!

Wearing gloves helps. Is this legal in IDPA?

Thanks

As far as I know, it is not specifically called out as being illegal in the IDPA rule book. I have always been lead to believe that it is up to the individual club, it may be veiwed as a safety issue, or the MD. I would ask the MD. Some people may consider gloves to be a "competetive advantage". I don't think they are. When it was cold, I've worn "Mechanix" gloves to shoot. I think you should be fine since it is a medical issue.

Trust me! I would not wear them if I did not half to! I am having fits getting used to them!

But that's the way it is!

Thanks for the feed back.

I did an article years ago where I compared my total performance (speed and accuracy) when firing a Glock 19 while wearing light gloves, heavy gloves, and no gloves. If memory serves, even the light gloves cost me 30 percent of my performance. Anyone who would say that wearing gloves is somehow cheating, or getting some sort of competitive advantage, has never had to fire a gun while wearing gloves. <_<

Only time I've seen it as an issue in IDPA is if you decide to only use the gloves for a certain course of fire/stage.

Just like sticking with the same rounds in the lowest capacity magazine that you decide to use (like only 7 rounds in all your mags when you have a 7 round mag mixed in with 8 round mags), If you bring them to wear, they need to stay on when shooting the entire match.

I would look into the reason why the glove helps you and see if you can't recreate that in some other way.

The gloves seem to pad the part of my hands that contact the back strap of the pistol and the bottom of the mag when I reload. OUCH!!!!

Only time I've seen it as an issue in IDPA is if you decide to only use the gloves for a certain course of fire/stage.

Just like sticking with the same rounds in the lowest capacity magazine that you decide to use (like only 7 rounds in all your mags when you have a 7 round mag mixed in with 8 round mags), If you bring them to wear, they need to stay on when shooting the entire match.

Why would that be a problem? Mag capacity is covered in the rules. Clothing is a matter of comfort. It could be colder in the morning and warm up later. I may want to remove a sweater, gloves or change into shorts from long pants. What difference does it make? I do not believe the rules prohibit any of it.