Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saul Kirsch's New Holster

ahtsay

My draw motion is fine. Others have tried drawing with my gun (the Pro SX) in the holster and have experienced the same thing. It could be the undercut or the grip/trigger shape. Either way it's the gun that I shoot so that wont change.

I wasn't implying that there's anything wrong with your draw motion - but the motion you make to get to the gun can influence what constitutes "in the way", as can where and how you have the holster set up, etc. That's all... :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand Dave, I didn't take it any other way, no worries.

It's just some weird thing. Everyone that has drawn my gun smacks themselves, right square on the second knuckle of the middle finger. At least now I know I'm not deformed! :cheers:

I am on the fence for buying this holster. I have tried many "Race" holsters and they all have exhibited to some extent a jam up issue if you don't pull the gun straight out of the retaining block of the holster. These usually work good for stationary standing positions but if I am crouching or bending while drawing its almost guaranteed that the trigger guard will jam up during the draw. I have used the Ghost, CR Speed, Speed Sec, and Blade Tech paddle holsters. I have gone back to using the Blade Tech paddle holster because its the most forgiving with the jam up issues. It would be cool to check out the Race Master holster and I am sure its a very high quality product, but after wasting at least $500 on other race holsters that don't work to my liking I don't think spending another couple hundred dollars on another race holster is a good idea.

For the guys that have used other race holsters does this one have the same trigger guard jam up issues if you apply sideways or twisting motion into the gun as its drawn?

Thanks Dave. My draw motion is fine. Others have tried drawing with my gun (the Pro SX) in the holster and have experienced the same thing. It could be the undercut or the grip/trigger shape. Either way it's the gun that I shoot so that wont change.

I am to the point now "if it’s not broke don't fix it"...so the Ghost will stay.

Besides...Turtle wants it!

Do you have a plastic or aluminium grip?

For the guys that have used other race holsters does this one have the same trigger guard jam up issues if you apply sideways or twisting motion into the gun as its drawn?

Yes, if you draw off-axis, it will bind similarly to other race holsters. However, this is generally a holster set up issue. When set up properly, there are no issues drawing the gun cleanly, even on the move or in odd positions, etc. If you find you're getting onto it off-axis in those situations, you probably don't have the holster set up properly, honestly (there are a ton of people running around out there with their holster set up wrong, FWIW). I posted some video on YouTube showing how to set up a CR Speed - the set up principles are the same in terms of how to position the holster... just the mechanics of doing it are different.

I am on the fence for buying this holster. I have tried many "Race" holsters and they all have exhibited to some extent a jam up issue if you don't pull the gun straight out of the retaining block of the holster. These usually work good for stationary standing positions but if I am crouching or bending while drawing its almost guaranteed that the trigger guard will jam up during the draw. I have used the Ghost, CR Speed, Speed Sec, and Blade Tech paddle holsters. I have gone back to using the Blade Tech paddle holster because its the most forgiving with the jam up issues. It would be cool to check out the Race Master holster and I am sure its a very high quality product, but after wasting at least $500 on other race holsters that don't work to my liking I don't think spending another couple hundred dollars on another race holster is a good idea.

Used Ghost and Guga before and briefly CR (but hated it) . With RM I have experienced a harder draw a couple of times. This was in practice, when I wore loose trousers and my belt was not tightly fixed. Therefore while drawing I was moving the bottom of the holster away from my body. When the belt is properly tightened and remains stiff the draw is excellent. If you deliberately pull the gun at a sharp sideways angle there will be friction ,but no holster would be free of such phenomena, I think - ever. Normal draw - easily slips out. I just shot a 32 stage match, 1 week after receiving the RaceMaster and had no problems whatsoever.

What did take some time on draw, was obtaining proper grip, as also my knuckles are apparently too big:). I need to dremel off some of the locking lever surface and shorten the lever (I already dremelled off some of the holster body))

Thanks Dave. My draw motion is fine. Others have tried drawing with my gun (the Pro SX) in the holster and have experienced the same thing. It could be the undercut or the grip/trigger shape. Either way it's the gun that I shoot so that wont change.

I am to the point now "if it’s not broke don't fix it"...so the Ghost will stay.

Besides...Turtle wants it!

Do you have a plastic or aluminium grip?

sorry for the delay - plastic

Note, I posted this on a modification around the tension adjustment knob... easy to make and should resolve it sticking out so far for most...

I may make one additional change by cutting a straight grove across the screw head so a penny or dime, etc can be used to make adjustments, but for the most part, I find this is set and forget anyway.

Alan

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108035&view=findpost&p=1228511

• 2 weeks later...

I have now had two weeks to play with my RM holster. Mine is for the SIG X5. So far I really like it. The draw is really smooth and the holster holds the X5 nice and secure. I don't have any problem hitting my knuckles on the back edge of the holster or interference from the tension screw. Although I see how you might hit your knuckles on the back edge. I think it would be better if the back corner was more rounded instead of a sharp corner. I assume it is shaped the way it is so that it will provide proper coverage of the trigger guard on all the different guns. But at least for the X5 there doesn't appear to be a reason for the corner sticking out. The serrated locking lever is the only thing about the holster that I definitely will change. A smooth lever would be better IMO. I am either going to dremel this one smooth or get one of the slim levers when I order a revolver insert (once it is available).

And although I think it is a pointless demonstration, the holster will hold my 45oz X5 in the holster while upside down. And I don't have to have the tension screw really cranked down to do it. Even with the tension set this high the draw is still pretty smooth. Now of course without the lock engaged it will come out of the holster if you shake it while upside down.