Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers?

usmc1974

I was reading post and started wondering, is there that much difference between reg small pistol primers and magnums? Can it change the perssure/load that much?

There have been a number of posts talking about the differences people have seen, but most have been as parts of other threads that would be hard to find. I did some comparison of SP, SPM and SR, but they weren't the same brand (that will happen eventually). I put the link below.

I found both SPM and SR gave a slight increase in velocity. I think that you're more likely to see an increase with slower powders because you'll get a more complete burn (in theory). With a lot of the slower powders (N105, 4756, 3N38, etc) you'll see a fair amount of what appears to be unburned, or less than completely burned powder kernels in the gun.

If the primer is hotter, i.e. produces a bigger flame, it's got to cause a bit more pressure, which will add to the velocity, but that difference isn't likely to be great. In .22LR ammo the difference in the primer can make a significant difference in the velocity of the ammo since there's so little powder and the case volume is so tiny. In fact, I think CB cabs (or something similar) are priming compound only (no powder).

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89029&view=findpost&p=1022851

Recently, I have been buying whatever I can find, e.g., wolf, CCI SPM, etc. I found the Wolf to be hard, requiring a stiffer mainspring in my CZ. The magnums? No difference to me, I still find unburned powder [Ramshot Silhouette] in my Beretta.

I think I read not to use small pistol magnum primers with clays in 38 super.I could be mistaken.Not that I am using clays mostly power pistol and going to try some HS6.

Clays is way too fast for a 38 super comp gun, no matter what primer you are using. I've used magnum primers all the time in 40, 38/357, 38 super, with no ill effects.

When I develop a new load I try it with both standard and mag primers. The difference in velocity over the chrono is insignificant, generally less that 10 fps. I do find differences in the SD between standard and mag primers. Some powders will deliver a lower SD with one than they will with the other.

• 1 month later...

I was reading post and started wondering, is there that much difference between reg small pistol primers and magnums? Can it change the perssure/load that much?

There have been a number of posts talking about the differences people have seen, but most have been as parts of other threads that would be hard to find. I did some comparison of SP, SPM and SR, but they weren't the same brand (that will happen eventually). I put the link below.

I found both SPM and SR gave a slight increase in velocity. I think that you're more likely to see an increase with slower powders because you'll get a more complete burn (in theory). With a lot of the slower powders (N105, 4756, 3N38, etc) you'll see a fair amount of what appears to be unburned, or less than completely burned powder kernels in the gun.

If the primer is hotter, i.e. produces a bigger flame, it's got to cause a bit more pressure, which will add to the velocity, but that difference isn't likely to be great. In .22LR ammo the difference in the primer can make a significant difference in the velocity of the ammo since there's so little powder and the case volume is so tiny. In fact, I think CB cabs (or something similar) are priming compound only (no powder).

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89029&view=findpost&p=1022851

G-Man...I am using Wolf SPP with MG 147s and 4.85grs of 3N37...I have been seeing the small quanities of unburned or partially burned powder in my pistol and could not figure out why untill I read your response....I am going to switch to CCI SPPs and see what happens....Thanks...Mark