Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reference for a noob at reloading

shootemups

Hey Folks,

Well as said, Im a noob at this and with the Dilloin on the way, I am trying to get my learning done while waiting..

I was wondering wher can I find a legend, or a manual or something that references loading info such as:

180 Montana Gold CMJ's

3.5 Grains of Titegroup

Winchester Brass

Federal Small Pistol Primers

1.130 OAL

0.418 Crimp

Will the reloading books that come with the Dillon tell me this info for my reloading fun?

I may be over thinking things as usual, but I am trying to wrap my head around how to know how many grains of powder I will need on specific loads and the bullet weights that correspond with the pressure created in the specific barrel dimensions....

Not to mention how many times I should reload brass before throwing it out - with or without visible signs?

yes I have begun to look at ballistic charts and see the pressures created with different loads and thats where all the squirrels start running around the noggin.

Appreciate the help guys!

Have fun and stay safe out there! 2nd Amendment rocks! :cheers:

If you shoot in Desert Sportsman, American Shooter Midnight Madness, i am pretty sure there are a lot of people who are willing to help you... Just ask and hang around you'll see a lot of great folks who are willing to give you some advise... Also, do a search here in the forum... Tons of information as far as pressure signs, brass usage and all....

Powder manufacturers publish recommendations. For TiteGroup:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

They don't list MG 180 CMJs, but the load data for the 180 Hornady XTP is close enough. From there, you'll see that it suggests a starting load of 4.2 and a max of 4.7 loaded at an OAL of 1.125.

What you'll find here through searching and asking, is that many people will tweak their load from there. Personally, I've found that 4.7g of TG works well in my M&P.40 with a MG 180 CMJ loaded to an OAL of 1.130. Your application might be different, but I wouldn't start at 3.5g. Someone more knowledgable than I can explain why, but I have heard that it is also unsafe to load too light of a charge, so I would not go below the 4.2 starting point that Hodgdon suggests.

Get the ABC's of Reloading and Lyman's 49th Reloading manual and read the reloading sections of both 4-5 times before you actually start reloading.

I second the above suggestions and toss in the Speer reloading manual that is in a three-ring-binder. It has a good cross section of loads and it also will lay flat on a bench, which makes it easier to reference. :)

Thanks guys much appreciated.. Books on way from amazon now.

I havend been out desert sportsman yet, but some bench shooter friends of mine will have me out there soonwith the new rifle on way. I do however go out to Desert Hills lots recently with my new membership.. :rolleyes:

:cheers: May your ballistics always be perfect and your sights always on target! :cheers:

Get the ABC's of Reloading and Lyman's 49th Reloading manual and read the reloading sections of both 4-5 times before you actually start reloading.

Been looking at presses lately. Thank you, just ordered both of these from Amazon as well. I'll wait to get and read them before I start ordering hardware (as hard as that will be for me).

Not to threadjack, but I'm thinking of a Lee Loadmaster (yes, I'd rather get the Dillon, but for now, I would like to think this will work) so I can feed my 9 Luger, 9 Mak, .223, and .308 needs.

Holy Moly Guys!

I ordered my Dilloon 650 with all the bells and whistles on 2/9/2010 and I just got it all today, 2/11/2010!!!!

Somebody is really on it! Now I wish the damn grunt labor force in vegas moved that fast! :devil:haha... :angry2:

Now to build a press, muahahaha!

THanks B.E. !! :cheers: