Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm tightgroup

ryanncass

Things that new reloaders should avoid.

- Heavy bullets.

- Fast powders.

- Wearing somebody else's underwear (or using somebody else's load data).

Get the books. Learn why OAL is important. Vital.

It's not just about turning out ammo. You really gotta LEARN what reloading is all about.

Know that you should be starting with well-known book loads. Even those, you build up/develop the loads in your gun.

Know the signs of pressure to look for as you test and do the load development.

I am using Precision Delta 147 FMJ with 3.3 of titegroup seated to 1.140+/-. I shoot these in my STI Trojan and M&P Pro Series, both are stock. The STI has about 6000 rounds through it and the M&P only about 100 since I just bought it. I chronoed them through he STI and a 10 shot average was 880 FPS which makes the power factor for IDPA.

Edited by jjones

That is a lot of damage to that gun. About a week ago or so I had a case failure in my M&P Pro but it held together with no damage and has run fine since. I only mention it because it seems like with that much damage it was most likely a double (or close to it) charge.

I'm just starting reloading as well. Our load came from a close friend and a book as well. Rather interesting that we started with something this similar. Were using

3.2 Gr Titegroup(We shot for 3.0 in this first run, I like my fingers:)

147 Gr Berry's FMJ

OAL 1.130+ or - .005

Small Rifle Primers but not sure of brand right off hand.

From what I have read in books and most of the guys on here support is that the greater OAL you can get away with the better. However I am a little discouraged to read this knowing that you got that load from a book.

Oh our round count is a whopping 225 so far(single stage and were brand new to this) all went boom but we had some issue with light primer strikes in the Glock and XD. S&W 6906 loved them.

Glad your OK!

Why are you running small rifle primers? They're not necessary and, as you've already found, can lead to misfires in striker fired auto pistols which do not in general hit the primers as hard as guns with external hammers.

The person mentoring my friend and I generally does this as well. We were able to get a deal on 5,000 primers so we just loaded with those. I'm not sure if we should switch to small pistol(assuming we can find) or change out parts on our guns.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but shouldn't cartridge length depend on bullet manufacture and weight and not just weight of bullet?

For example, a Zero 147gr bullet might be shorter from base to nose than a Montana Gold and thus have more pressure then the Montana Gold when loaded at the same OAL.

Just a theoretical question.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but shouldn't cartridge length depend on bullet manufacture and weight and not just weight of bullet?

For example, a Zero 147gr bullet might be shorter from base to nose than a Montana Gold and thus have more pressure then the Montana Gold when loaded at the same OAL.

Just a theoretical question.

You have the theory right, but results backwards. A shorter bullet loaded to the same OAL as a long bullet will have less pressure, because there is less bullet in the case, creating greater case capacity.

Isn't the OAL length listed in most manuals the minimum OAL? Here is the OAL I measured from 9mm factory loaded ammunition. The shorter length of the speer is consistent with what I've seen in JHP defensive loads.

Fed. Am. Eagle 115 FMJ 1.152

PMC 115 FMJ 1.153

Blazer Brass 124 FMJ 1.154

Sellier & Bellot 124 FMJ 1.160

Speer Lawman 147 TMJ-FN 1.125

Been running Titegroup for years with 147 gr Zero JHPs for years. 3.3 gr chronos to a PF of about 138 in my G34 with this bullet, 3.2 gr closer to 131 or so. I shoot for an OAL of 1.112, give or take a few thou. Atlanta Arms and Ammo loads 147 gr JHP closer to 1.105: ran them successfully for years and they chrono in the 136 - 1388 PF range as well IIRC.

Granted lead bullets are a whole 'nother issue. It would be darn near impossible to fit 6.4 grs of Titegroup in a 9mm case without noticing, though anything is possible if your attention lapses, I guess.

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate typos!

Edited by BayouSlide