Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New gear 550, 650 or 1050?

We been custom producing ammunition on demand, just using single stage presses but now as we gained exclusiveness on an american bullet we´re about to enlarge the amount and develop loads in the most popular European rifle calibers - all between 6,5x55 Swedish and .460 Weath Mag.

1. I´m choosing from either the 650 or the 1050. Maybe even the 550 according to my concern below:

-The very few possible rifle calibers. Especially with the 1050 if you look in the ordering forms.

Or is the optional calibers just a list over the available Dillon dies? Can i, for instance, not use my Redding dies – that I have for all the worlds calibers, and use in the 1050?

If I cannot - what’s the catch, not to load all calibers in this machine?

2. To get uniform loads - do you think the Ponsness-Warren automation would be a good choise?

I´m open or proposals - even outside the brand menchoned. Thanks! /Tommy, Sweden

For commercial ammunition I know guys that use all three machines, not neccessarily all in the same factory.

1050. ONE CALIBRE PER MACHINE, you will go nucking futs trying to change the 1050 for this and that calibre. 9mm, 45, 223 and a few others that you will probably lots bucket loads the 1050 is hard to beat. The PW automation system would be brilliant on the 1050 for large runs of the exact same load. But if initial outlay for equipment is an issue get it later. But ifthe amount to be loaded is about 20K a day then their are better bigger true commercial machines for that job. Anything under 5K per day per load the 1050 will be sweet.

650. Way easier than the 1050 to change calibres. BUT, not as simple to opertae and if you get a jam from a faulty case etc they are just a little fidly unless you are really familiar with them. I have a 650 and it has loaded most proabbly close on 300K assorted ammo. But get one for each primer size. Just a PITA to change from one primer size to another. I once loadd 50K 38Spl in a month on mine. Drove me nuts as I had a full time job as well as that to deal with, could easily do 4K a full day without busting my nuts or the machine.

550. Best machine for multiple calibres, easily runs at 200 an hour for hour after hour after hour. More if someone is keeping the primer, powder, cases and projectiles coming. I have loaded 1000 223 in about 4 hours unassisted, this included refilling the 4 primer tubes i had at the time and topping the essentials up. If you intend to load anything under 1000 per calibre in a session this would be great. Especially for larger rifle cases and smaller runs. BUT get the Magnum Powder bar and teh MAgnum Powder System for anything from 308 sized cases and up. It works brilliant.

I am sure you know this but to make sure, 1/2 your available man hours are used for case prep, so the output shown on the box is a bit optimistic.

Me I would run the 550's (and more than one) to ensure relaibility (big issue when you have staff standing around picking their noses).

Thank you for the Sum up! Guess you made me lower the speed requirements a bit, feels like the 550 would serve me best for now.

But still - til later - could i load all caibers with the XL650, just using my Redding Dies?

Edited by Kulmage

For commercial ammunition I know guys that use all three machines, not neccessarily all in the same factory.

1050. ONE CALIBRE PER MACHINE, you will go nucking futs trying to change the 1050 for this and that calibre. 9mm, 45, 223 and a few others that you will probably lots bucket loads the 1050 is hard to beat. The PW automation system would be brilliant on the 1050 for large runs of the exact same load. But if initial outlay for equipment is an issue get it later. But ifthe amount to be loaded is about 20K a day then their are better bigger true commercial machines for that job. Anything under 5K per day per load the 1050 will be sweet.

650. Way easier than the 1050 to change calibres. BUT, not as simple to opertae and if you get a jam from a faulty case etc they are just a little fidly unless you are really familiar with them. I have a 650 and it has loaded most proabbly close on 300K assorted ammo. But get one for each primer size. Just a PITA to change from one primer size to another. I once loadd 50K 38Spl in a month on mine. Drove me nuts as I had a full time job as well as that to deal with, could easily do 4K a full day without busting my nuts or the machine.

550. Best machine for multiple calibres, easily runs at 200 an hour for hour after hour after hour. More if someone is keeping the primer, powder, cases and projectiles coming. I have loaded 1000 223 in about 4 hours unassisted, this included refilling the 4 primer tubes i had at the time and topping the essentials up. If you intend to load anything under 1000 per calibre in a session this would be great. Especially for larger rifle cases and smaller runs. BUT get the Magnum Powder bar and teh MAgnum Powder System for anything from 308 sized cases and up. It works brilliant.

I am sure you know this but to make sure, 1/2 your available man hours are used for case prep, so the output shown on the box is a bit optimistic.

Me I would run the 550's (and more than one) to ensure relaibility (big issue when you have staff standing around picking their noses).

Excellent advice.

be

The Super 1050 has limitations on the length of the cartridge that can be loaded on it. 30-06 is the tallest, and it requires we remove material from the bottom of the die so the loaded cartridge can clear it. The RL550B is the most versatile, as it is our only machine capable of loading 460 Weatherby and related cases. The XL650 is more versatile than the Super 1050, but not as versatile as the 550B. If you can provide a list of the cartridges you wish to load, and the expected volume, in monthly or annual estimated production amounts, it would be much easier to make a suggestion.

I've been a commercial loader about three years now.

Start with a 550 to increase production and keep initial investment down. Doing .223 and .308 size cartridges with ball type powder, I can easily run 400rds per hour not trying hard. This is with 10 primer tubes preloaded and lubing brass in lots of about 100pcs at a time with spray lube.

Once you are running the 550 solid 6-8 hours a day, upgrade to a faster press to produce your higher volume cartridges like the 6.5 Swede, .308, .30-06, 8mm Mauser. 650 v 1050 produce about the same rate but it's the little stuff like the caliber changes and investment that's different and will ultimately be your choice.

I started on a 550 and recently got a 1050 when my production capacity needed to be increased. Caliber changes take about 20 minutes but it would be nice to get one press for each caliber I need. Currently I don't have the cash for that so I just have a small primer 1050 press and load 9mm, .40, and .223 on it. I load all the components I have on hand for one caliber, then do a caliber change to the next. I got out of the custom game for most orders and just run range FMJ ammo as production, but do load custom for local customers only not mail order on the 550 when needed. The .45 and .308 I load on the 550 currently as the primer size, shell plate, and locator buttons are the same. I only change the toolhead out and leave the rest in place. It's slow for the .45 (500/hr) but works fine for me since I sell more 9mm and .40 currently. Next 1050 I buy will be setup for the .45/.308 so I will again just swap out the toolheads and leave the rest in place. I'll deal with the caliber changes until I make enough money to buy 1050s in every caliber I load, which is ideal since I just top off components and pull the handle.

Never get rid of your 550 or kits for it. It will serve as a back up press in the event your "big" press goes down. Also never get rid of your single stage press(es) as they can be great for small jobs and odd jobs like pulling bullets, neck sizing, etc. I've got a 1050, a 550, a Rockchucker, and a Lee Classic Turret. The LCT is used exclusively for the .256 Win Mag cartridge. I have a .30 Luger FL sizer die (necks down .357 to .300 and starts a shoulder), then a .256 Win Mag FL sizer die (finish necks down to SAAMI plus sets the shoulder), then powder die, then seater die. I do about 250 per hour on it when I load using virgin .357 Mag brass. Every four pulls is a completely reformed and loaded .256 Win Mag round. A turret press is always welcome on my bench for jobs just like that.

Edited by freakshow10mm