Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Virginia Count

DogmaDog

OK,

ran into this situation at my match this weekend:

Virginia count classifier with three strings.

Shooter fires an extra shot on the first string, and then saves a round on the third string.

Total number of shots and hits on each target for the whole course is correct.

Does the shooter receive any penalties, and if so, under what rules?

By the way, the shooter was me, (what the hell was I thinking??? I called a D and made it up, then said "Dammit!") The RO ruled no penalty after consulting his rule book.

Thanks,

DD

The course was Classifier # 99-39 "Off Balance Blast"

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3593

I shot it in 23.23 seconds with 106 pts, for a HF of 4.5631 (without any penalties assessed)

If you would assess two penalties for the way I actually shot it, would I have avoided one by throwing a shot into the berm on the third string?

Thanks,

DD

The way you shot it, you didn't follow the written procedure in two instances (Whether that is... one extra shot penalty and one prodecural, or just two procedurals...i'm not sure off hand. I'm think it is two procedurals.)

The cheapest way out, once you threw the extra shot on string one is to do what you proposed in your last post. Shoot one into the berm on a later string (to avoid the "extra hit" penalty).

cm99-39.gif

DD,

On string 1, you fired an extra shot. One procedural.

On string 3, you failed to satisfy the course description. Second procedural.

The solution would have been as you and Flex stated, to fire a nothing round into the berm. It satisfies the string requirements, and by firing into the berm, you don't risk an extra hit penalty (potential third procedural).

Rich

Applicable current US rules:

9.4.4 In a Virginia Count Standard Exercise course of fire:

9.4.4.1 Extra shots (more than the number specified) shall constitute a procedural penalty for each extra shot

10.1.4.3 If a competitor fails to comply with a procedure specified in the stage briefing, the competitor shall incur a single procedural penalty for each occurrence.

So you get the Extra Shot procedural penalty in the one string and the general procedural penalty in the other string. BTW, USPSA classifier scoresheets, for VC courses, have a special box for recording Extra Shots. It's -10 either way.

DD,

If you feel you should be awarded a penalty, just tell the RO you're willing to take it like a man, and I'm sure he'll accommodate you or seek guidance from a higher ranking official.

There've been cases of competitors DQing themselves when the RO didn't do it, for one reason or another. It's not in the rulebook - it's in your conscience - and you obviously have one. However don't feel bad about the last time - clearly you've reflected on this incident, I know you feel bad about it, and that alone raises your stock in my book by 20 points.

I don't know you personally, but I'm proud of you. Happy Holidays.

Awww Vince,

I'm tempted to burst your bubble and tell you I'm just sandbagging, and a 69% classifier won't help keep me in C class. That's not true, though. USPSA might just ignore it because it's more than 15% above my current average, anyway.

Anyway, I appreciate all your replies. Hopefully I'll shoot Virginia Count stages correctly from here on, or at least execute the best "damage control" strategy to minimize penalties.

I did think the ROs interpretation (I fired incorrect numbers of rounds on STRINGS, but not in the COURSE, which is what the rules address) was a stretch. If there's a next time, I'll tactfully ask for a penalty.

Semper Fi, and Merry Christmas,

DogmaDog