Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are these suitable for major reloads?

Foxbat

I have reloaded plenty of cases with no +P on them with no problems. But would like to hear people's opinion on these. They are brand new primed cases. Suitable for major factor loads in your opinion?

post-21305-126521133843_thumb.jpg

i would load up 10 rounds or so rounds of whatever powder you use.

fire the rounds thru a chrono and collect all 10 brass casings and visually inspect the primer condition.

If it don't show any primer flattening or primer flow, load up the rest of the cases.

Just remember, visual primer inspection isn't the "tell all" of pressure indication in a given load.

Non +P brass doesn't show primer problems or pressure. Well I guess it could swell enough to cause extraction problems but I don't think so. It just blows away at the ramp. +P was invented to prevent this problem. Research "Super Face" to find some examples. If your lucky that's all ya get, if your not it sets off the entire mag and you get to buy a new frame or new palm skin. Since major is now 165 and we have modern powders so you might be ok(Thats why some get away with it) but I would never use it. I throw it away.

+P is just brass with a thicker web to prevent this. Of course its capacity is a little less because of the thicker web.

I would not use it at all even for minor steel loads since I would be worried about getting it mixed in the major stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to say really. I'd section one and compare the web thickness with new +P brass and SC brass to get an idea. R,

Finally did just that and discovered that the old brass had THICKER web than the modern day Rem +P!

Of course there could also be differences in metal composition, but next step will be loading some.

I have some I have reloaded a couple times with 6.8 grains power pistol and 135 fmj bullet. There is no great recoil with this load no signs of pressure but the primes look strainge, looks like it is trying to remove the firing pin mark. this is not a great picture but here it is, what do ya'll think. Thanks