Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft-fps etc needed for our practice?

InTheBlack

Some of the other threads have mentioned airsoft guns for practicing shooting on the move & "at home" drills.  One site mentioned was

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com

Both the Para Ord and the 1911 copies are things that look useful for me.

How much velocity is needed to have a usably small amount of drop at up to, what, 10-15 yards?  I see many of the models advertising 360 fps, but some of the 1911 single stacks are at 230.  But they advertise mods to up the velocity.

How much recoil do they give?  Like a .22?  But enough to practice watching the recoil & getting back on target?

How much noise?  Is it so loud it might attract the neighbor's attention?

What's the "R22" gas?  Is this what is slated to replace HFC134a in a few years?

Out to 10+ yards, most of the gas blowback (GBB) Airsofts will be plenty accurate. They have a "hop-up" device that backspins the BB in the barrel so it doesn't drop until much later (if you crank the hop-up too far, the BB's actually rise as they fly). Recoil for mine is about like a .22 or race-gun, maybe a bit less. You can get 'heavy recoil' versions with more kick.

There are a several things to watch out for on Airsofts-- some of them take different gas (generally the Japanese ones are more realistic and use weaker gas), and some are more robust than others. You need to silicone lube the parts every so often. Check out the reviews and websites to make sure you're getting a good one if you plan to shoot a lot.

Noise is pretty low, and the gas is some sort of enviro-correct freon replacement. It is possible to use "duster gas" as used in computer spray-dusters, though power is a bit lower and you need to lube more often.

Note that the bb's will puncture both unprotected skin and drywall at close range. They seem to shatter on hitting steel.

Vince may know more-- supposedly they do full on Airsoft-IPSC over in his parts.

(Edited by shred at 9:17 am on June 30, 2002)

I have a g17 replica powered by freon HFC134A.  But DANG! the recharge has the equivalent cost of about 100-150 rounds of reloaded ammo.  Haven't used it since.  BTW, it may be very underpowered because recoil is non-existent but the BB pellet really stings! Be safe.

mcoliver,

Do some reading on "Duster Gas". It's basically the same as HFC134A but without the silicone additive.

You can buy it pretty cheap, just make sure to add some silicone to it as not to dry out your seals.

It is the same power as most "Gases" out there, just need to add the silicone.

I've got a Glock 27, Mac 11, STI Edge and a electric MP5SD6. :-)

(Edited by Lumpy at 11:23 pm on July 1, 2002)

Duster gas!  Thanks a lot Lumpy  Last weekend a friend of mine bought an electric M4 (exact) replica complete with accessories (optics, front handle, stronger springs (?), etc.)  They've been using a construction site for their war games.  I have to say, the equipment cost is enought to buy me a new STI plus change for practice ammo