Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production

Kiwi

Gents,

I have a Para LDA in 9mm. Occasionally in firing the grip safety re-engages. :(

I assume this occurs because either my strong hand grip is too high or too loose on occasion. It does not happen often, however annoying when it does.

Specific question is - can I pin the grip safety and still be legal for IPSC production division. <_< I wouldn't think this was allowed.

Alternatively - can I replace the Factory Grip Safety with another - which has a raised base to ensure positive depression of the Grip Safety to prevent accidental re-engagement during firing, and still be legal. I note para has models that do have a raised base on the Grip Safety, and not on the LDA.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Kiwi

Hi Kiwi, I sorely miss Vince Pinto on this forum, he could have cited the exact rule number for you. Hopefully some one else will haul out their rulebook or look it up, but I believe that 1911 grip safeties may only be pinned in Open division.

However, there could be an exception for Production DA guns such that the safety may not be engaged for the 1st shot. As an example, I shoot a CZ 85 Combat in Production. After lowering the hammer to the de-cocked position, the shooter does not have to engage the manual safety. The gun is rendered safe by virtue of the lowered hammer. If the shooter chooses to engage the manual safety on a SA/DA CZ, he or she MAY do so, but is not required to do so. Same goes for the Beretta 92 series; after de-cocking, the shooter is not required to engage the safety but may do so w/o penalty.

In an LDA, the lowered, DA-only hammer renders the gun safe, so I believe that use of the grip safety may be at the shooter's discretion in Production (just as it is with my CZ).

Another posibility for IPSC may be a different grip safety that is offered as a factory option. It is well known that Sevigny showed up the the last World Shoot with Heinie sights on his Glock. He was also armed with a factory letter stating that heinie's are a Glock factory option. Q. is: are there any other factory option grip safeties offered by Para?

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com

Gents,

I have a Para LDA in 9mm.  Occasionally in firing the grip safety re-engages. :(

I assume this occurs because either my strong hand grip is too high or too loose on occasion.  It does not happen often, however annoying when it does. 

Specific question is - can I pin the grip safety and still be legal for IPSC production division. <_<  I wouldn't think this was allowed.

Alternatively - can I replace the Factory Grip Safety with another - which has a raised base to ensure positive depression of the Grip Safety to prevent accidental re-engagement during firing, and still be legal.  I note para has models that do have a raised base on the Grip Safety, and not on the LDA.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks

Kiwi

Another posibility for IPSC may be a different grip safety that is offered as a factory option. It is well known that Sevigny showed up the the last World Shoot with Heinie sights on his Glock. He was also armed with a factory letter stating that heinie's are a Glock factory option. Q. is: are there any other factory option grip safeties offered by Para?

I will contact Para and ask if they have another factory option that I could substitute - don't fancy my chances.

Thanks

IPSC Production division, Appendix D4

Item 19 - original factory parts only...No mods (other than MINOR detailing).

Item 20 - covers what (few) aftermarket parts are allowed.

It would appear that you cannot change to an aftermarket grip safety, nor can you modify the current grip safety.

-----------------------------

If you were shooting USPSA Production, Appendix D9

Item 21.5 would rule out any external modifications (no aftermarket grip safety).

Item 21.4 looks to me as though it would allow you to either pin or otherwise disable the grip safety under "action work to enhance reliability".

I know you didn't ask, but if you ever intend on shooting the "other" game (IDPA) you must have all safeties functional. Check out item "E" from the following cut and paste:

1. Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for ALL Divisions

The following modifications are NOT ALLOWED IN ANY DIVISION unless otherwise specifically mentioned.

A. Compensators of any type including hybrid or ported barrels.

B. Add-on weights for a competitive advantage (this includes, but is not limited to, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, brass magazine wells, weighted grips).

C. Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing.

D. Sights of non-standard configuration (i.e. Ghost rings, Bo-Mar rib, etc.).

E. Disconnection or disabling of any safety device on any gun.

F. Lights mounted on guns.

Rick

I have started shooting with grip tape on the grip safety bar to assist in positive release.

Disabling a grip safety in produtcion sounds illegal to me. You better contact vincepinto@ipsc.org to clear this up.

You are allowed grip tape in IPSC Prod Div. No one said it may not be smooth....just tape the grip safety and be done with it....

Appendix D4 20.3 in the IPSC rules interpretations dated August 6, 2004 states "the application of tape on grips is permitted" where the prior wording was application of grip tape. As I understand it, this was changed to prevent using grip tape to accomplish something like pinning a safety.

John Amidon in FRONT SIGHT magazine addressed this issue. As long as the thumb safety is operational, it is O.K. to disable or pin the grip safety.

I am pretty sure that Kiwi is asking about IPSC Production...which is out of Amidon's area.