Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight returns from recoil a little to the right

DarthMuffin

I find that when I shoot my Tanfoglio, the front sight returns a little to the right after it tracks up and down. Not much, about 3-4" on a target a 20 feet.

What does that mean? A grip problem on my part (right handed if it matters)? Spring adjustment needed? Just how the gun is and learn to deal with it?

The shot's not going right, my shots are going right where I want them. It's just when the sight tracks up and back down afterwards, it doesn't come back to the same spot -- ends up a little to the right. I'll try varying the strength of grip in each hand to see what that does.

DarthMuffin,

First off, congratulations, you are obviously paying attention to what your gun is doing in recoil, and have thus noticed something, and achieved a level of understanding that will allow further improvement, that most people never reach.

What you are noticing means that your NPA points the gun slightly to the right. Even if you can compensate for that for the first shot, when the gun bounces in recoil, it comes back down to its NPA. It's important, for the maximum rate of fast AND accurate fire, that your NPA and "pointed right straight ahead when the gun is a firing grip/stance" be the same thing. Adjust your technique until that happens.

Easy way to check this, go out on the range, aim the gun in perfectly. (You don't even really need a target at this point, all you're interested in is the position of the gun before and after it fires.) Close your eyes. Fire a shot. Open your eyes. Are the sights still aligned? If not, adjust your grip, adjust your arm position, whatever it takes until when you open your eyes you still see the sights perfectly aligned.

Now progress to putting up a target at, say, seven yards. Aim in the gun, close your eyes, and fire two shots slow-fire. Open your eyes. Do you have two bullet holes close together in the center of the target, or do you have one (the first shot) centered and one (the second) way off? Close your eyes, do it again. FEEL what it feels like to have the gun track consistently, right back to the same spot. Try to feel that every time.

Once you can do that, pick up the pace, start making your splits shorter. If the shots stay together, pick up the pace some more. When you can fire pairs and keep your shots together, even when firing at the limits of your ability speed-wise, then you know you have a great index, then you know you can fire the gun as fast as you can pull the trigger and still be accurate, simply using NPA and index, and having the gun track consistently. Then, when you don't even really need your eyes to track the sights to keep the shots together, ADD your eyes to the mix. You'll find the sights are tracking really consistently, up, down, back to the same spot. And when the gun is doing that, suddenly tracking the sights in recoil becomes EASY.

Hope that helped. :)