Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme Bullets Coated Lead

ErikW

In the never-ending search for an economical bullet, at least for practice if not for matches, I bought 500 of these sight unseen. Upon opening the box, I was surprised by their appearance: they looked more like moly-coated jacketed rifle bullets than the many moly-coated lead pistol bullets I've used. Actually, it was the bearing surface that was different, smooth and shiny, like it was re-sized after coating. The coating appeared quite thin. I wondered, could this lead to less smoke?

Weighing a few samples showed most to be around 176.5 gr. There was a remarkable lack of voids, burrs, or coating slop. They loaded to 1.210" with my dies set to 1.200" for Precision Delta 180 gr FMJ. They loaded slickly and smoothly, with no lead shavings.

At the range, the same charge of IMR SR7625 that produced 161 PF with the Precision Deltas produced 167 PF with the Xtremes. There was a pretty big extreme spread in velocity with both bullets, probably due to the powder choice.

At about 15 yards, from a standing position, both bullets produced the same groups. At about 30 yards, again standing in gusting desert winds, I was barely able to keep the Xtremes in the A zone of a Classic target. I didn't shoot the PDs at the longer distance. They strung vertically, which may have been a function of the extreme spread in velocity or may have been a function of my inability to hold the center of the Classic target.

But the big news was the lack of smoke, especially compared to Master Blasters bullets. The Xtremes smoked no more than the PDs, which is to say, hardly at all.

I will test them further with Clays, and shoot more groups to try and better gauge their accuracy, but at this point it's clear they are at least ideal practice bullets.

I just tried some of the same moly bullets (200 gn.)

Load was 4.2 grains of n320 which gave me a 178 pf.

Extreme spread was 50 fps.

I only shot 30 rounds but all were easily in the A zone at 30 yards. so far so good.

I'll shoot a whole box and see what happens.

I just tried some of the same moly bullets (200 gn.)

Load was 4.2 grains of n320 which gave me a 178 pf.

Extreme spread was 50 fps.

I only shot 30 rounds but all were easily in the A zone at 30 yards. so far so good.

I'll shoot a whole box and see what happens.

Where can you buy these bullets and what kinda price are we talking?

Did you get any smoke with the 200s and N320?

FYI, these are the same people in the same facility that produced West Coast bullets. They sold the company, later bought it back, and renamed it (ugh!) Xtreme.

Edited for West Coast, not Western Nevada

I can say that I live about 30 miles from where they are. I go directly to there shop and buy from them. The owner told me that they had sold the shop to some people from back east or some where and ran the shop down. They did not pay him all the money yet and he kicked them out and took over the shop. He was telling some of the business factors they where practicing like not selling to people who drove up. He is a really nice guy and very helpful. Is even willing to get my bullets delivered to me to try and rebuild what the others did. May I ask what some of you know of this place under the past owners?

I just ordered the Masterblaster 6300 "Maxi-pack" for $315 of the 180gr moly bullets. Roughly translated to $50 per 1000 shipped to your door. And with EXCELLANT costumer service. B) I have not noticed any more smoke that usual with these. I don't see the sense in paying $11 more per 1000 for the Extreme. That would roughly have costed me $66 more for the same thing! Just my .02 worth. :huh:

There is likely a discount for bulk orders (call and check), i notice that the extreme price is comparable to the 1000 ct. price from both mb and precision.

Since i'm local there is no shipping cost so its a no brainer for me.

I can add a little bit of info here; West Coast sold to a company in Nampa, Idaho which is about 3/4 hour northwest of where I live. The company called themselves Accura Bullets and the product line was called Accura Bullets, West Coast Series. This company's primary business is suppling performance cast bullets for black powder hunters and shooters. They were apparently supplementing that line with the Accura bullets. I am not certain where the bullets were actually produced, in Nampa or in Nevada.

What led to the demise of the Accura line, at least according to the gal I talked to, was negative feedback they received from some customers. I'm sure that wasn't the whole story but that's what they told me. All I know for certain is that they sold me 10,000 200gr 40 caliber bullets for $223, tax included, when they quit the plated bullet business last year. I went back the next day to buy the remaining 40,000 but they were gone along with all the other Accura bullets they had left. Don't know who bought 'em but they got a hell of a deal!

I shot 200 of the 180 over Clays today, ten over the chrono for 905-946 fps. The spread wasn't bad except for that 905. But they smoked; it's gotta be the faster powder.

Sweet groups at 15 yards, fist-to-hand-sized groups at 25, standing.

I didn't shoot any jacketed bullets today, and when I took my gun apart to clean it, I found the barrel pretty well gooped up. :(

Knock yourself out if you can get a good price on Precisions or you don't mind the MBB smoke. I figured that only CA-NV shooters would be interested in these bullets, as shipping kills the economics for everybody else.

And if you search real hard, you might find a post in which I say I'll never shoot anything but jacketed. Please don't hold that against me. The economy and my finances were in much better shape back then.

I see, I talked with the original owner of west coast now x-treme bullets and he did mention something along the lines of black powder bullets that he came up with. Anyway I know he did not like the way they where doing business and basically he kicked them out the doors and got ride of them and is now trying to build his business back up because apparently they ran it down (customers) I think lost a lot of them. Nice guy for those who want to drive up and buy because they are only opened right now 4 dqays a week. But when I call he will meet me down there on his closed days to help me out he even said if I get into a pinch he would get them to reno for me which is 30 miles from where x-treme bullets are.

• 3 weeks later...
I see, I talked with the original owner of west coast now x-treme bullets and he did mention something along the lines of black powder bullets that he came up with. Anyway I know he did not like the way they where doing business and basically he kicked them out the doors and got ride of them and is now trying to build his business back up because apparently they ran it down (customers) I think lost a lot of them. Nice guy for those who want to drive up and buy because they are only opened right now 4 dqays a week. But when I call he will meet me down there on his closed days to help me out he even said if I get into a pinch he would get them to reno for me which is 30 miles from where x-treme bullets are.

I wonder why he doesnt go to the reno gun show, I have looked for bulk bullets there several times and can only find one vender selling laser-cast at terribly high prices.

They don't do gun shows, but give them a call and if you'r in reno Angela might drop some off on her way home. If you'r in carson city it's not too far to dayton.

(775)246-3941

I used to use them when they were West Coast bullets and would probably still Purchase some if I were going to the area for some other reason. I still have 7k of their Plated 124-9mm's and a few K of their 180 Plated RNFP's. I would be more apt to give them a look if they made a true round nosed 165 or 180. The RN-FP's are nice, but for my 610, I really need a real round nosed or cone nosed bullet for feeding reliably. I've been using Bear creek 140's since they are local and I can get a good deal on them. If the original owners have taken back over, I can say that they are nice people and will do what they can to give you a good deal. I wonder if anyone had suggested US Postal Flat Box to them. 2K bullets in a flat rate box seems to work well. It would be cheaper for them and us and would make shipping to other than CA-NV cheaper.

Vince