Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup Gun.........

Honkeymcgee

Kinda lengthy but I still look back and laugh at this one. 

So a while back I finally decided I would build my own open gun. 

New gun is built, did some test firing with a spare Cmore and when my new mount for the Sig I use comes in, I mount it and put it in the safe. 

Fast forward to the end of the week and I go to a match.

About two or three shooters into the match it suddenly dawns on me.......you never zeroed the gun after putting the new mount and optic on.......dummy!!!

Well I just built a new gun so now I have a backup. 

I'm thinking to myself.....dang, having a backup gun is pretty sweet!!!

So I get my CK out to shoot the first stage and decide I'll just check zero real quick at the end of the stage before we move on. 

Buzzer goes off and somewhere between target #1 and #2......no more red dot.  So much for a backup!!!

Funny thing about Sig Romeo 3 dots is when the batteries get low they don't dim out. They just turn off. . .

I had even been talking to Max Michele about this in a class I did with him so I really should have known better.

So I put a new battery in the CK, put it up and get my new gun back out to check zero.....go figure it was dead nuts, middle of the A zone.

Morale of the story, a backup does no good with a crapped out battery lol. 

• 2 months later...

Yea more important then a backup gun is backup small parts and batteries if you’re shooting open . After my battery died once on a slideride and couldn’t find anyone with a spare battery I now have a least 3-4 new extras in my bag at all times. 

Also, as I’ve learned- keep whatever wrenches, bits, etc. you need to swap batteries handy! My optic takes a tiny torx driver that I doubt anyone else would have in their range bag, so I keep a small case with the wrenches, loctite, and spare screws in my car when I go to matches. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 10:55 AM, DKorn said:

Also, as I’ve learned- keep whatever wrenches, bits, etc. you need to swap batteries handy! My optic takes a tiny torx driver that I doubt anyone else would have in their range bag, so I keep a small case with the wrenches, loctite, and spare screws in my car when I go to matches. 

That is solid advice!

Yeah I ususally keep tools and any batteries I would need in my bag or at a match.  I found a nice roll up organizer on amazong for like $15 bucks that I keep on hand that has helped me out multiple times.  I keep spare parts, batteries and what I would need for the guns I'm shooting.  Back Ups are very handy though, its nice having that confidence going into a major that if s#!t happens you're prepared.