Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are coated bullets all pretty much the same?

vnboileau

On 3/16/2018 at 8:58 PM, jschweg said:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but why does Blue Bullets undersize 9mm at .355?

They said they have found that it works fine.  I personally have found that it works fine in some pistols, but in other pistols, not so much.  Bullet to barrel fit is HUGE with cast lead, and .355 isn't going to cut it in some 9mm pistols.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:59 PM, vnboileau said:

I've got some Acme bullets already loaded, and have some Blue Bullets and SNS on the way.  I'll give them a side by side comparison and report back...

Looking forward to the results.

Bullet profiles seem to play a bigger role than the coating. I like BBI 124 in both profiles a lot! H&S 124 is a shorter profile and hits the lands sooner with more bullet in the case. I can load the BBI longer. SNS were ok. My open gun likes the BBI, my PCC likes the H&S.

The different colors also help identify the load.

The most accurate coated bullet was the Precision black gen 2. But no matter what I did to case taper or crimp, these leaded horrible. You can scratch the coating of with your fingernail.

Coated bullets are not all the same.  Some manufacturers do a great job in casting but my experiments have shown bullet weights to be upwards of 10 grains different in the boxes of 1000.   As a caster myself, I cull any bullets that are 2 grains different.  That makes a big difference in groups.  Sure, we are not all looking at 2 inch groups at 50 yards, center of plate is good enough for most shooters, but with the X ring only being 4 inches bullet weight becomes very important.  

I normally order .358 bullets for my 9 mm and my .38s.  I get a little more velocity and my groups are much better.