Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 vs. M&P

ddc

I've been shooting production with a 5" M&P with an Apex Competition Action Enhancement trigger kit.

I don't have a problem with the gun and I don't have any overwhelming need to change but just want to try something different.

Thinking about playing around with an X5.

Is there anybody with extensive experience with both platforms who would care to compare and contrast?

Thanks!

I've used both but the m&p was years ago. I liked the gun but had problems with accuracy out of it. I think that issue has ben fixed.

I think the big bonus of the X5 is the 9mm bull barrel and the built in weight inside the grip. Those are really awesome features to have in a plastic gun. I've been loving my X5.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think plastic guns are plastic guns, and there is not a lot of difference in any of them.  Every time  a new one comes out it is the latest and greatest, until everyone realizes that it  is about like all the others.  If they both fit your hand well and are reliable, I bet there is not a measurable difference in scores with any of them.  That said, if you like the X5 get it, I am sure it is a good gun, but I don't think will come with a GM card. 

It does weigh 10-12 oz more than other plastics which could have an advantage with recoil and follow up shots. Weighs around 36oz which is lighter than a CZ or tanfo but heavier than a glock or m&p. Which could be a good middle ground for recoil absorption / transition speed.

2 hours ago, RJH said:

I think plastic guns are plastic guns, and there is not a lot of difference in any of them.  Every time  a new one comes out it is the latest and greatest, until everyone realizes that it  is about like all the others.  If they both fit your hand well and are reliable, I bet there is not a measurable difference in scores with any of them.  That said, if you like the X5 get it, I am sure it is a good gun, but I don't think will come with a GM card. 

Oh gee... thanks for reminding me! I should have asked if it came with a GM guarantee. :-(

The thing that really impresses me about the X5 compared to all other polymer guns is how well balanced it is. Because of this fact, the recoil feels less on it than any other polymer that I've ever experienced.
That's the benifits of the weights in the grip and the bull barrel. Gun weighs 35oz most polymer guns weigh around 25oz.

While I don't have extensive experience with either, I do have both the 5" S&W with the Apex competition trigger kit, and an X5. Long story short, I liked the S&W until it had issues involving the Apex trigger in the middle of a match. It's up and running again, but I lost confidence in it, and that's why I got the X5. So far I'm tickled with the X5, and have no plans on going back to the S&W M&P.

9 hours ago, BeltFed said:

While I don't have extensive experience with either, I do have both the 5" S&W with the Apex competition trigger kit, and an X5. Long story short, I liked the S&W until it had issues involving the Apex trigger in the middle of a match. It's up and running again, but I lost confidence in it, and that's why I got the X5. So far I'm tickled with the X5, and have no plans on going back to the S&W M&P.

What issue did you have with the Apex trigger?

This is going to take a bit, but basically the trigger quit working. As I remember, after shooting a stage I cleared the pistol, dropped the slide, but when I tried to pull the trigger as instructed, I couldn't. I had all the original parts, so I put them back in the pistol. Man was that a horrible trigger, so I put the Apex sear and springs back in the pistol, and kept the Smith trigger. Now the trigger had a nice crisp release with a lot of over travel; usable but far from ideal. I watched some Apex videos that dealt with adjusting a  U-shaped spring in the Apex trigger in order to get the trigger to function. Then I asked the previous owner if he had ever had any issues with the pistol. He told me he had never had any issues with the pistol, and had been shooting it for years. I can't remember if he installed the parts and trigger or not; he was a S&W M&P armorer. Since adjusting the Apex trigger looked like a PITA, and I lost confidence in the trigger (it did it once, it could do it again), and without the trigger the pistol just wasn't what I wanted, I decided to get the X5.

I'm a Glock armorer, and I have a S&W M&P armorers manual,  I used to be a Sigma armorer (please don't let that get out), and I used to be a S&W revolver armorer, so I figured the M&P couldn't be that hard. While I got through it OK, I just didn't care much for it's complexities.