Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just getting started in local competition...

Descartian

So I'm about to start shooting in a local weekly match. 

I've been an avid shooter since I was a kid. I didn't really have the money when I was in my 20's or too much time in my 30's but time and money seem to come easier now that I'm 41. 

I've always to compete but most of my local clubs shoot Thursday nights and Saturday mornings. I of course always work Thursday nights and late night Fridays. 

I finally found a local club that shoots on Tuesday nights. I went out and sat in a match two weeks ago and they seem to be a good group of guys. 

Its an indoor IDPA syle shoot but not sanctioned and scored by IDPA. It seems like a good place to start and build up to a more competitive league. 

I have all my gear together and ready and depending on the World Series schedule will probably shoot my first match next Tuesday. I have a good belt, a couple kydex holsters and 5 kydex mag pouches. 

Im going to be shooting an STI Tactical 4.0 with some mods to it, Dawson FO front sight, Brazos Custom tuned fire control group, STI slim tactical magwell and Alma Cole Silicon carbide 36 grit grip. I'll be bringing 5-6 17-21 round mags. 

I consider myself a pretty good shot but I'm sure transitions and movement are going to give me a little more difficulty at first as most of my shooting is done stationary at the range. I plan to take it slow and safe to start. 

Any info and tips you guys can provide will be appreciated.

I realize my gear isn't really IDPA legal but as I mentioned this isn't a sanctioned shoot and is more of a shoot what you bring club. 

Edited by Descartian

Check out safety rules for IDPA/USPSA/etc. if you haven't done that yet

Let people know you are new at that match

Ask for tips about how to go about the stages

Be safe

Hit the targets

Have fun

Edited by perttime

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, Descartian said:

I'm shooting an STI Tactical 4.0 with some mods to it and 5-6 17-21 round mags. 

I consider myself a good shot  I plan to take it slow and safe to start. 

Sounds like you have MORE equipment than you will need for IDPA   :)

You just gave yourself The Best Advice - take it slow and tell everyone this is your first time.

Read the IDPA rule book a few times before you go ....

They'll take it from there.

After a few IDPA sessions, if you want to have fun with your STI Tac 4.0,

find a USPSA match    :)   :)