Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun sight pic?

BoyGlock

1. My 1301 shoots dead center if I Align the bead and midbead and target. But the gun will cover half of the target, distracting me from visually focusing on target and making me partially focus on the beads. 

2. It shoots a bit hight if Im seeig the target in full view and a bit looking down on the rib. The bead is at 6oclock to hit. Im not distracted to focus on target. The bead is just on the forground. 

I can do both but easier for me the #2 due to it allows full view of target. 

Which is the correct technique? Need to learn the right one for this beginner. My understanding is that i should focus on the target only. But sights alinement in 2 is not supposed to be the correct technique?

Are we talking slugs or shot? I got rid of the mid bead and just pull the trigger when the fiber optic is somewhere near the target with shot, I don't really align anything. Slugs I just center the top of the fiber wherever I want to hit out to 100 ish yards.

As far im concerned the only time you need to be aware of where a shotguns sights are in relation to a target is when you are shooting slugs. Or shooting on the move at a brisk pace and even then you are only aware of where the sights are, you arnt aiming it like a rifle.

With birdshot, if the gun fits you and you mount it consistantly then you should be taking a target focus. The gun will follow the eyes, theres no need to confirm "sights to target," if you are aiming using the sights then you are stopping the gun between plates, thats slow, keep the gun moving. As you get more experienced you will learn when to pull the trigger in relation to the target and you should never see the bead, this all hinges on a gun that fits you well and has been mounted correctly. 

Remove the mid bead ( mine exited somewhere during the first box of ammo) and replace the factory fiber optic with a HiViz TriComp fiber optic.  I use the green triangle and when shooting slugs I mount the gun so that only the tip of the triangle is visible.  If any of the top of the rib is visible with the gun mounted, it means the gun is not correctly fitted and is pointing upwards.

My 1301 shoots Fiocchi low recoil slugs very, very well.

http://www.hivizsights.com/product/tricomp/

Edited by Ming the Merciless

3 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Remove the mid bead and replace the factory fiber optic with a HiViz TriComp fiber optic.  I use the green triangle and when shooting slugs I mount the gun so that only the tip of the triangle is visible.  If any of the top of the rib is visible with the gun mounted, it means the gun is not correctly fitted and is pointing upwards.

Shotguns need to fit the person naturally when mounted.

The middle bead and end bead alignment is an important element in quick and efficient mounting, not as an aid to aiming at the target, but as a confirmation that the stock is correct for the shooter and that the shooter has mounted the gun correctly. If the stock doesn't fit the person then proper sight alignment is difficult to achieve quickly.  When the gun fits the shooter, the mid sight should line up with half of the front bead.  It is best if the mid sight is a small, unobtrusive round sight, and the front sight is similar but somewhat larger.  The optimum situation is when the gun is mounted and the shooter's cheek properly and naturally contacts the stock, proper alignment of the two sights is achieved and in this case the shooter is able to focus on the target without wasting time focusing on the sights to check alignment. Fiber optic and more colorful front sights are counterproductive in that they will tend to attract the attention of the shooter and the shooter will focus on the sight then the target and refocusing takes time and slows down target acquisition.

The optimum situation is that the shotgun comes naturally to shooting position, the cheek is on the stock with the sights properly aligned and the target is in sight throughout the process without refocusing between the sights and the target.

All great inputs guys! Thank you!

Out of the box my 1301 fits me fine but a bit more pressure on my cheek aligns the beads right. I like it this way so my cheek weld will be consistent and firm but Im still in the stage of getting used to this feel. Learning shotgunning this late for me is quite a challenge but I notice I enjoy shooting shotgun in competition more than my pistol and rifle now. 

42 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Out of the box my 1301 fits me fine but a bit more pressure on my cheek aligns the beads right. I like it this way so my cheek weld will be consistent and firm but Im still in the stage of getting used to this feel.

Too much, or unnatural, pressure on your cheek is likely to result in the stock "bumping" into your cheekbone which will contribute to flinching.

36 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Maybe I should cover the bead next time Im in the range to learn to point n shoot the gun on the target?

If the gun fits you and the beads are unobtrusive (like just grey or small white beads), just learn to mount the shotgun naturally (with the beads lined up) and look at the target and you will be fine.

26 minutes ago, RileyLV said:

Too much, or unnatural, pressure on your cheek is likely to result in the stock "bumping" into your cheekbone which will contribute to flinching.

24 minutes ago, RileyLV said:

If the gun fits you and the beads are unobtrusive (like just grey or small white beads), just learn to mount the shotgun naturally (with the beads lined up) and look at the target and you will be fine.

Thank you. I will work on the “gun fit” before hitting the range.  Rifle and pistol shooting for years prior make this less natural for me. 

Toyed with the spacers that came with the gun. Think i got the right fit for me. Mounting the gun effortlessly aligns my eye to the beads. Dry fired the new gun fit. Now the “perfect” sight pic is POA=POI = a metal plate will be covered on its lower half by the gun. With birdshot this is not necessarily needed but Im a bit uncomfortable with the half visible target set up. I shoot open in 3G so my pistol and rifle sight pics have the targets at full view. Think practice will make things easier later on.

Will hit the range next. 

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/4364-fundamentals/

Gun fit.  Get your gun fitted by a competent *professional*, not just any yahoo at a gun store or off the trap line.  The key is having unobstructed vision over the rib.  If your eye is even partially blocked, the eye opposite your gun mount takes over and...you miss.

Think this contradicts what I just did, my sight pic will have obstructed vision with (not over) the rib. My no. 1 sight pic in my first post above should qualify for this fundamental?

I dont have anybody to professionally  teach me this  concept so Im trying to learn on my own.