Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 40 major to 1.23" OAL for Trojan...anything I'm missing?

TobyJ

I picked up a used Trojan .40, and am working on my go to load.  I am wanting to use the Tripp system 10mm mags, so as to be able to load up for USPSA Single Stack minor or major, as well as limited 10. Used the gun this weekend in a USPSA match, with good results.  Load was HPN plated 180gr RNFP over 4.6 of TG, loaded to 1.18.  I shot USPSA Major, so I never tried more than 9 in a mag (first one, with the barney), and all ran great.

Today, I was testing with some Blue Bullets, both the 180gr and the 200gr RNFP, over 4.5 and 4gr of titegroup, respectively, loaded to 1.18 OAL.  Since I bought the 10rd mags to be able to load 10 rounds, I gave that a try.  Well, on the slide rack load, the bullets went nose down into the ramp, and the slide wouldn't close.  A quick rap on the bottom of the mags fixed it, and once the first round was in, the rest fed without issue, with either blue bullet.  Went back and tried the 180 plated, and loaded to 10, same issue.  Loaded to 9 or less, and the plated runs great, with the blue bullets occasionally requiring the mag tap to get the first round to load.  8 or less, and all three work fine.

I've done quite a bit of searching, and I see that others have had this problem.  I've seen various fixes like re-ramping barrels, bending or filing feed lips, using .45 mags (this does work, but then I lose the 10 rd capability) as well as a higher mag catch (that one seems like it would work, as well), but those all seemed a bit drastic, so i started playing with OAL.  At 1.23, I can get either blue bullet to feed first round, with the tripps loaded to 10, using the standard 'make ready' style slide rack (pull it back and let it fly).  1.23 also passes the plunk and spin test in the barrel, so I should be good there.

other than tweaking the powder to account for the larger case volume created by the longer oal, is there anything else I need to consider? I've found a couple of threads where folks load out this long for .40, but most seem to stay at 1.20 or below, so I wasn't sure if there was some upper limit.  My plan was to add .2gr of powder, and chrono.  Looking at 10mm data, which is usually at 1.26 OAL, I think I'll be more than fine.

I suppose I could also try a round nose bullet, if somehow staying to 1.20 or less will really make a difference

Thanks for any help,

TobyJ

Edited by TobyJ

With that length (1.230), can you fully load your mags and still have them feed without hanging up in the mag? And do they chamber (P&S)?

Load shorter and you save on powder too.

Edited by HI5-O

Yep...1.23 allows me to load all 10 rounds, they feed, and they plunk and spin

I'd load shorter if I could get all those, and that's sort of the point of the post. I think I can probably get it to run with shorter loads, but with other mods...but I don't see any upside.

TobyJ

Tobj,

I too have a .40 trojan. I like the gun a lot and also experienced some of the same issues you did. It made me put the gun aside for a time. I just recently picked it up again looking to resolve the previous issues. I changed from the 180 plated RNFP (thinking the bullet profile was the issue) to Ibejiheads 180 coated RN. I am loading at 1.165 with the RN coated bullet. Longer, and I would run into an occasional feeding issue, even though they plunked and spin in the chamber. 1.1.65 is where I settled with no further feeding or cycling problems so far. we shall see........ but it starting to look like its back!!!

I do load some .40 major but mostly .40 minor loads for knock down steel plates

PS I am using  8 and 10 round .45 mags

good luck.......

I recall reading of an exercise conducted here regarding OAL of a loaded round.

Where the bullet first contacts the feed ramp of a ramped barrel can be controlled by the overall length of the loaded round. If I remember correctly, the sweet spot (middle of the ramp) for that exercise was between 1.175 and 1.185 (.40S&W). Helps with consistent feeding.

Each gun and bullet design may be different so best try with what you like to use.

I am using a stock .40 STI Trojan with Tripp Cobra 10 round system mags.   I am using the same load as for my limited gun(stock edge).  Length 1.178, win spp, 4.6 gr of tite group with 180 gr blue bullets, mixed range brass.   So far I have had no issues, except trying to load the stock sti mag(too long).  The gun runs fine.   Maybe try a different bullet profile?   The reason I went with the Trojan in .40 was so I could use the same load in both guns with the added bonus of single stack or lim 10.   I guess I got lucky with the choice.

Edited by AlanHinMN

Just to close the loop on this one...

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but changing the recoil spring helped ALOT!  The one that came out was about 2/3 the length of the new 14 lb one I put in.  Considering it is a used gun, that should have been one of the first things I tried.  Feeding the 1st round of the 10rd cobra mag got much better, but still not perfect, every time.

Next, I tried the 200gr round nose bullet from SNS, and it has so far, been flawless.  3.9 gr of TG at 1.23 gets me 170pf, and is quite accurate

Finally, on the advice of Tripp, I installed an EGW heavy duty mag catch, which holds the magazine about .020 higher.  Not a drop in part, but after about an hour of 800 grit work, it fits great, and works great.  With this in, I have been able to run either of the blue bullets down to 1.19, without a hitch.

So while I could go back to loading longer, or even loading one of the blue bullets, I like the SNS load, so I think I'll just stick with that.

TobyJ