Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 for S&W Repair

NoSteel

Well,  after 2 more inquiries I got my latest response..  Try not to laugh as hard as I did when I read it!!!!?. Trying desperately to keep an open mind on this one!!!!?  Guess you can't expect much when you shell out >$1K on a revolver......

Dear.....

I do apologize for the delay on your firearm. Our typical time frame for quotations at this time is 8-10 weeks due to the holidays that that been delayed slightly. I contacted one of the performance center Technicians to have your firearm bumped up to have a quote made as soon a possible. Keep in mind total turnaround time for most repairs at this time are taking 3-4 months from start to finish at this time. I will continue to monitor this for you and notify you of any updates as i receive them. 

I do apologize for the any inconvenience  caused by this and I truly appreciate your patience as we work towards getting your firearm processed and repaired and on its way back to you. 

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us
Thank you and Have a Great Day!

Edited by NoSteel

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well,. Looks like I have been placed on a priority for review.  This still means it could be a couple of weeks before I get a summary due to the Performance Center being overwhelmed with workload.  It would still then require a several month wait before I get my 929 back.  

Question:. Should I just pay to have shipped back to me and then send to someone else for the work and if so,  who??  

My concern is a long wait for work I'll probably have to pay for anyway,  just to get a revolver on par with what comes out of the Performance Shop everyday now.  Probably better work / Service if I go elsewhere.??

Suggestions welcomed please!!!

While I can't address the issue with your 929, I did have some recent experience with S&W customer service. In October, I bought a new 640 Pro Series revolver.  I soon noticed that it had a sort of "hitch" or catch in the DA trigger pull, just before the hammer fell.  I then did my customary abbreviated action job, polishing the rebound slide, etc. and a replacement 14 lb. rebound spring.  After my work made no difference, I eventually noticed that the hand seemed to be gouging and peening the ratchet.  S&W sent a shipping label, and the gun was returned to me in 3 weeks, with a note that they replaced and fitted a new hand.  They did not replace my rebound spring and polished rebound slide.  It now functions as it should.  I'm glad that they didn't give me the runaround you've recounted.

If you two don't mind letting us know, what are your serial numbers ?

Maybe this was a bad production run ?

I've shot the shit out of mine and have done many hurried speed loads, and it shows no wear like your 929's.

SJC

This is my serial.

ec1de040473f11b289e7ed7cb3c84ee9.jpge7597e19e0dafdc264e5b4f1b29e1e81.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My serial # is far from close so don't think it was a bad run.  I think there is an stop alignment issue that causes it and I think it is worsened by dry fire use as in my case I am swinging the cylinder open with dummy rounds loaded with 147gr bullets.  Still should not happen and the few times I may have swung/snapped the cylinder closed should not be a problem.  I had planned on running Revolver division thru this season so if I can't get a satisfactory response (Still have no word on what work is needed) I may look for a replacement and start over..  

Quality problems are a hindrance but a company with great customer service that corrects those issues quickly with integrity will always have customers...  This ain't one of them....

Edited by NoSteel

Finally was able to speak by phone with customer service rep (David).  Unfortunately, all I was able to find out is that the pistol was moved to the Performance Center for a repair evaluation and that Performance center work is paid service only so this would NOT be covered by S&W.!!!  I have indicated I would now be calling each week until I do receive that evaluation..  At that point I will have to decide if I want the work to be to correct any operational issues or to also proceed with "cosmetic" repairs to the frame,  thus adding time to the repair...    Are you kidding me!!!  Up to the point of the inspection I can get it returned to me for no cost but post inspection there is a $45.00 charge.  

I'll again ask for opinions,. Should I just call this back home and send off to a gunsmith and can someone recommend someone???

Edited by NoSteel

Personally, I wouldn't do anything about it. Plenty of my competition revolvers have rub marks in the same area. Like you said, if it doesnt effect operation or accuracy why bother. The crane is probably a little bit out of whack. It happens.

If it actually becomes a problem, you could probably just spend the money on getting the alignment tools and taking care of it yourself, or sending it to somebody like TK CUSTOM 

Edited by alecmc

I'm with alecmc. I run my guns like the tools that they are and they show it. I have never been happy with S&W service, and it ain't no bargain. If that little cosmetic spot is all the trouble, make yourself happy, but I wouldn't worry about it.

On 9/12/2017 at 10:11 PM, Waltermitty said:

My experience is that if you send it to them they will replace parts at their discretion. I guess I was lucky they sent my parts back so I could put them back in, but they butchered my cylinder stop (I sent it in for throwing by or "Skip Chambers") and fouled up the barrel gap/end shake so badly the gun wouldn't run.

Of course YMMV.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:16 PM, Waltermitty said:

Sorry you’re having this experience. Sorry, not surprised. I think S&W makes an excellent gun “kit” that can be built into a good gun. Just accept that it's yours (when you eventually get it back) and only take it to good gunplumbers or work on it yourself. You wouldn’t take your Chevy Street rod to the dealership for service, so don’t expect S&W to have a clue regarding your hot rod revolver. ?

23 minutes ago, Waltermitty said:

I'm with alecmc. I run my guns like the tools that they are and they show it. I have never been happy with S&W service, and it ain't no bargain. If that little cosmetic spot is all the trouble, make yourself happy, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Not really worried about the mark.  Hell,. I can repair that..  Just was worried there may be some underlying issue that would just get worse..  If I get word back that alignment / timing looks fine,. I'll have it just sent back to me and I'll just keep watching it..  Prior to going back it ran fine and had no accuracy issues so I suspect it would be fine.  Just tired of waiting for a response,. Just thought they were better than this.....  Thanks for your input guys...!!!

Completed my weekly check in and behold,. My 929 has been looked at...  Great!!!  Asked if they could tell me what repairs needed and what kind of charges would be associated with that..  Nope,. Had to wait for my letter to arrive..  What the hell???  I know revolvers are old school but shouldn't their computer system be modern enough to be able to make that info. available??  Still trying to stay positive here but I'm starting to wonder why Jerry M. And Julie G. Have their names associated with them.....

Finally received a quotation for the work needed on my 929,. Not impressed.....  When I called I was now referd to a Performance Center Gunsmith liaison ( Roz )..  Let me tell you now if you ever need to deal with the performance center,. Ask for her!!!  This woman should manage S&W!!!  She immediately noted the delayed responses / runaround I had up to this point were not what is supposed to be experienced by the customer..   I have in the last 2 days had 4 calls from here getting things back on track with explanations of the work as detailed.  Unfortunately,. I don't really agree with some of the feedback as to why the work needs to be done but it is at least being done.

Noted Work:

Hand assembly. $17

Cylinder Stop. $12

Ti Cylinder $150

Mainspring $18

labor  $90

range test & estimate. $45

Bead blast frame & Barrel $145

Indication was that competition use was cause of cylinder contact to frame and the crank Assm was fine.  If the cosmetic repair (bead blast) was done the mark would probably just reappear,. I declined this work.  The rest of the parts were to repair noted timing issues also blamed on competition use and Dry firing.  Not sure why the cylinder had to be replaced but assume it was also to address timing issue, their smith insists it be changed.  

The mainspring was due to my spring being too light and they were not allowed to let it leave their shop that way (6.5lb pull).

As noted,. This pistol has not seen many rounds down the pipe and has seen much more dry fire than completion.  Even though it was built specifically to compete apparently it still requires a softer touch than I have..  I thought my open gun was finicky!!!!  In the end,. I now have a spare cylinder coming I can use to check my loads!!! :(

20 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Wait, are they saying they won't honor the warranty on a gun marketed as a competition gun because you used it in competition?

Basically.  That's what I get from it..  If it had been week 1 I would have argued with them for 2 months but at this point I just want to get it back,. Use it,  and never buy another Smith & Wesson product. I have 5 other M&P products with no issues but this experience has cured me of another overpriced purchase....

1 minute ago, NoSteel said:

Basically.  That's what I get from it..  If it had been week 1 I would have argued with them for 2 months but at this point I just want to get it back,. Use it,  and never buy another Smith & Wesson product. I have 5 other M&P products with no issues but this experience has cured me of another overpriced purchase....

Sorry, I feel your pain. If it's any consolation, your story on here and some others has taken a 929 off my shortlist. I love my 66 and was thinking of upgrading to be more competitive. Might change my mind down the road but for now I'm sticking to Classic in ICORE and concentrating on bottom feeders for USPSA.

1 hour ago, NoSteel said:

Hand assembly. $17

Cylinder Stop. $12

Ti Cylinder $150

Mainspring $18

labor  $90

range test & estimate. $45

Bead blast frame & Barrel $145

In my opinion, None of those "repairs" will fix the problem of the cylinder rubbing on the frame. 

Why are they replacing the Ti Cylinder? Did you chamfer it yourself?

It's funny that they say there is a timing issue, yet they arent replacing / fitting a new extractor .... which is what controls the timing.

When I pressed them on the frame damage they agreed none of these repairs will change what was happening..  They attribute that to "rough competition" gun handling.. Is there any other way??   That is why I am not having the re-finish completed.  

As to the cylinder,. Yes it was chamfered by me as I documented elsewhere in the forum but is was nothing severe and I was careful not to get into the extractor ends.  In hindsight I recall the extractor to cylinder fit was a bit sloppy when new and probably should have been taken care of post purchase.  At this point the cylinder charge itself wasn't over the top so I'm just letting it go..

I took the risk in sending it to them to begin with In hopes warranty would be honored in at least someway..  Any work after this point definatly will not be done by them..  My thoughts are as have been stated by others before,  if the gun is modified in any way and you send it in for warranty repair outcome may not be what you expect..  I have read positive & negatives on their service in this and the S&W forum so Roll the dice!!!

In trying to insure rules are not broken here I'm trying not to turn this into a S&W bashing thread and posting my experience and thoughts on it's resolution for others to be able to make their own decisions.  I agree with what all of you have suggested from the start and have tamed down what some of my responses have been to them over the phone and in emails.  At this point just ready to get this over with.  If there are positive changes in regards to this workI will be happy to change my views and express same here....

Edited by NoSteel