Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Autodrive for Super 1050?

Looking for some input from those who have used the autodrive for a Super 1050

I have seen the Mark 7 in action and it is quite impressive.  There are a number of the Ponsness Warren units for sale used at really good prices but of course they do not have all the sensors and electronic speed control and such.

Has anyone upgraded from the P-W ?  Thoughts?

Thanks

I never had a PW, but have been pretty happy with my Ammobot. I don't know that I would be that much happier with the Mk7 for the extra money.

The Mk7LTE was not an option when I purchased. It may have made a difference.

The new Ammobot is quieter, which is a main complaint.

I do know someone who went from a PW to Mk7 and he LOVES it. The PW gave him all kinds of fits.

Edited by DWFAN

For me the PW I really only use for processing brass.  When loading I pull the handle.  I know there are folks that use the PW to load, but it just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy like a M7 would.  But, for 1/4 of the cost or less...it is what it is.  They guy I bought it from used it to load ammo, so it can be done.  

I could prob load 45 and feel ok about it, in fact I did set it up, but kept getting inconsistent primer depth, got tired of fiddling with it, so moved back to pulling the handle.

Edited by 78Staff

The PW drive uses single speed motor.  You can easily replace it with variable speed 3-phase motor and control - $150 if you are lucky, a bit more if not too lucky.  :)

Adding a low primer sensor is trivial.  So is the overload sensor.  If you are using the Bulletfeeder, then you can also add the "out of bullets" sensor - it takes a small amount of machining.

There is no need for "out of cases" sensor, as this is a totally benign condition, not a cause for any concern.

So for well under $1000 you can have a very nice, flexible and gentle drive, that will run day in and day out.   No broken parts, easy comfortable speeds in the 1200-1800 an hour range.

Edited by Foxbat

5 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

The PW drive uses single speed motor.  You can easily replace it with variable speed 3-phase motor and control - $150 if you are lucky, a bit more if not too lucky.  :)

Where would one find the motor and control? And I'm assuming the 3-phase is not in reference to the power requirement, otherwise nearly all homes wouldn't support it.

Oriental Motor 90W 3-ph motors are commonly found on ebay for sometimes ridiculously low prices.  I bought some for as low as $39. 

You will need the right kind of a gearhead - 60:1 is ideal, 50:1 will work.  Gear heads often cost more than motors.  You will need to get one with the correct shaft diameter - there are to kinds of them. 

The best drive for its price and convenience is Automation Direct GS1-10P5, that allows you to plug directly into 120V single phase line.  I have seen them sell for under $50.  The drive generates variable frequency 3-phase 240V supply for the motor.   The drive allows you to connect various sensors easily to its control port.

Edited by Foxbat