Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 toolhead setup

Guys

Just got my first 1050 in 9mm and im looking for recommendations on toolhead setup. I load polymer coated bullets so I want to run separate seating and crimp stations, but I also would like to run a powder check as well. I am currently running powder drop with mr bulletfeeder expander in station following primer seating, and then mr bulletfeeder following that.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Last time I spoke with dillon about the powder check station, they did not recommend it due to the small quantities of powder in 9MM cases. At this point, I have loaded about 15K on my 1050 and have very detailed safety protocols if I have to stop the loading process..Pull everything from each station and double check everything as I place those rounds back into the press..it's kept me out of trouble so far..(knocks on wood)

Here is my set up for loading coated bullets...Dillon decapper, lyman M die, Mr bullet feeder powder dropper, redding micrometer seating die and lee crimper..

If you are going to run a MBF and separate seat/crimp dies, you pretty much have to look at an off press powder camera of some sort for power checking.  They can range from a $20 USB borescope camera hooked to and old phone or tablet and fab up some sort of mounting system for both.  You can also use auto backup camera and monitor with a 12v converter of some sort.  

I use a hand held inspection camera setup as it's all self contained and you don't have to source a bunch if different parts.  It's a bit more expensive now than when I bought it, but something like this is also an option as it contains all you need.

Whistler-WIC-3509P-Wireless-Inspection-Camera

Kd8BixU.jpg

and here's a guy doing the same on a 650... skip to 225 or so to see how he set his up and it in action...

Edited by 78Staff

Thanks 78! I had come to the same conclusion but just wanted to make sure. I am running with a mark 7 on this, so I was hoping to use their powder check sensor just because things are moving so fast. I did order a camera and it should be here on thursday. Now can I be attentive enough or focused enough to keep an eye on the screen? [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I use the Lee decapping die, the Everglades Ammo primer hold down die, the MBF bullet drop die, the Dillon Seating die, and the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I don't worry about the powder drop. The 1050 design kind of makes it very hard to not charge or to double charge a case.

I am much more worried about powder when I am loading on my 550.

• 2 weeks later...

I also use a camera system for reloading on my 1050. I ordered a Wifi Endoscope which includes a light on the end for $40 on Amazon which wirelessly connects to my iPad or iPhone. I also purchased a mount for $20 to attach the iPad to the Case Feeder mount.

IMG_4896.JPGIMG_5056.JPG

Wireless Endoscope, Depstech WiFi Borescope Inspection Camera 2.0 Megapixels HD Snake Camera for Android and IOS Smartphone, iPhone, Samsung, Tablet - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYTHWK4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_bWercjFzP3Ofe

BESTEK Gooseneck Tablet Mount iPad Mount for iPad Mini 1/2/3, iPad Air 1/2, iPad pro and Most Tablet Within 9.7 inch & 12.9 inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTWS3Q0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Q3kbxTXgUxnW2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished setting up a video system for my 1050 as well. About $60 or so in parts (Amazon link listed in video description )

Looks good!!!

How does it do with rifle rounds? Initially, I used a back up camera set up but it was difficult for me to angle it to see into rifle rounds so I went to this set up.

5 hours ago, camaross400 said:

Looks good!!!

How does it do with rifle rounds? Initially, I used a back up camera set up but it was difficult for me to angle it to see into rifle rounds so I went to this set up.

Are those .223 ??

16 hours ago, camaross400 said:

Looks good!!!

I have the 1050 setup for .40 S&W so have not tried it on rifle rounds. However, I am using a flex mount and the camera also can swivel at the end of it, so I have a couple of different ways of making adjustments if needed. That should be enough to see into the rifle cases.