Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone tried prima v with 200 swc in the 45acp

Dwbsig

Was wanting to try prima v with 200 gr swc bayou bullet haven't see any data of anyone using this combo. I found 4.8 to 5.8 was the load range from the manufacture. I'm wanting a load that's around 850 fps hopeful that's accurate. Been using 6 grs of w-231 which is on the stout side but very accurate. Was hoping somebody has tried it and give some insight /info on how it's worked for them thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not tried Prima V in 45 acp with a 200 gr. bullet but did wok up a load using Prima V and HS Bullets 230 gr. coated RNFP bullet 4.1 grs gave me 755 fps with a ES of 27 . These were seated at 1.185"  because the HS bullet had a weird ogive and I needed that OAL for my 5" Trojan . It was a soft clean burning load.

I don't shoot the 45 much but I did try a few loads with the prima v . I loaded some 200 gr swc bayou bullets with 5.2 and 5.4 and both loads felt a little on the warm side and did not group real good. When I get back to fouling with it Im gonna try about 4.8grs and go from there.  When I find something that I like ill drag out the chrono and see what they are doing.

2 hours ago, 57K said:

I've used WST quite a lot for 200 gr. SWCs. The load range for Prima V is just a bit higher and should do well in the lower range. I also wanted to remind everyone about Alliants new Sport Pistol made by St. Marks as is W231/HP38 and WST. There was some talk about upgrading W231 with the newer powder technology available today. There has been nothing from Hodgdon/Winchester relating to this, but it looks as though Alliant was interested with the development of Sport Pistol where several noteworthy features have been included like low-flash and lower burn temperatures to make it better suited to poly-coated bullets. Data is available and it looks to be just slightly faster burning than W231/HP38.

I was wanting some sport pistol and have not seen it yet. I bought several pounds of prima v and it will be around the end of the year before I need some more powder,maybe sport pistol be easily gotten by then hopefully. Have been a big user of w-231 for the last twenty five years it's been in use so long that I figured they had to be something a little cleaner  that could takes its place. 

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to trying Prima SV in .45 and..... Wow. 230gr RN coated with 3.7gr makes 165 power factor and is an absolute dream to shoot. Haven't tried Clay's or WST, but I would be surprised if anything else it's markedly better.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

On 7/15/2017 at 4:10 PM, gtaylor07 said:

Finally got around to trying Prima SV in .45 and..... Wow. 230gr RN coated with 3.7gr makes 165 power factor and is an absolute dream to shoot. Haven't tried Clay's or WST, but I would be surprised if anything else it's markedly better.

Ramshot Competition is a great .45 powder also. Prima V is my go to 9mm powder. Will try some SV in .45 someday.

Edited by BASE772

On 7/15/2017 at 3:10 PM, gtaylor07 said:

Thanks for sharing this - I was looking for an alternate to Clays in my single stack .45 loads and I'm already using Prima SV for .40 S&W in limited. I'll give this a shot... Out of curiosity what diameter coated bullets are you using (.451, .452?) and how is the accuracy? 

SNS .452, although on the caliper was measuring .4515.  probably within the margin for error though.

Accuracy was very good, certainly no worse than I can shoot on double action (625).  That is RIGHT on the edge on power factor, although with no cylinder gap it might offset that.