Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Went to first match..

90lxracer

I did not shoot, because I don't have some of the accessory stuff and really didn't want to "just show up"

Anyway... It was a FANTASTIC experience. It was a pretty long day, and apparently even long by their standards. It was a super nice day for a Feb in Va.. Temps got up to high 60's and sunny. So there was a lot of people, roughly 100 shooters. 

I was reassuring to see things first hand, and how the flow comes together through the stages, and the movement of the squads between stages. I learned a whole lot, got insight into what equipment might work better than other.. and met some great folks. 

Time to close the circle on the gaps in my equipment, and start on the dry-fire and reloading work!! lol  

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You are about to commence a tremendous chapter in your life ...   

It really is fantastic.

What gun have you selected to begin your journey?

Thank you.. and as of yet, I really haven't.  Until yesterday, I'd never heard of a Tanfoglia and it was one that the guy I was speaking with was something that was making waves in production. 

I do have an STI Costa VIP.. it's short (4") and it's in 45... but I could use it in limited.. everything else I have isn't something I really want to try.. I think I want something in 9mm or at most 40sw.  But again.. it's like information overload.. am I making a "bad decision" in regards to a gun to start with. I have a few H&K's, but the ergonomics on them isn't something that seems to fit well for speed. Again, not that speed is all that important for me at the moment.. but again.. as things goes on, I would want something that can evolve as I do. 

I don't mind spending the money on something that I can grow into either. SO... That was a VERY long winded way to say .. no. I have decided on a gun yet.. lol 

Edited by 90lxracer
typo

This reminds me of when Neo had to choose between the red pill and the blue pill in the Matrix movie.  The competitive shooting rabbit hole can go as deep as you intend to let it when it comes to gun and gear choices.  The first couple things you will need to figure out is what division you'd like to shoot in and then what budget you have to work with.  When I started shooting matches I had the intention of shooting 3 gun and kind of by default ended up shooting USPSA.  At the time the only pistol I owned was a compact glock 40.  So I did some reading and ended up getting a 9mm Glock 34 which is a very popular gun for 3 gun competition but since I installed a magwell and made some mods to the grip I had to shoot limited minor in USPSA.  Shooting minor was fine and let me get some much needed experience but soon I found myself wanting a gun that I could make major power factor with.  Then I found myself looking for another gun.  I ended up with another glock this time in 40 cal.  The whole time I'm playing with my Glocks I'm seeing these fine looking 2011 pistols and then I had to have one myself...See where I'm going with this?  My advise is to get a couple matches under your belt with whatever you have and give yourself time to settle on a gun that you can play with and not regret it later.  If I started over again I'd have spent a little more and done it right the first time, I would have come out cheaper in the end.

8 hours ago, 90lxracer said:

no. I have not decided on a gun yet.. lol 

I would start shooting with Your Favorite gun - whichever gun you currently possess

that you feel most comfortable with.

Shoot at least a couple matches with that, and see where it goes from there.    :) 

I'm with Hi-Power Jack. I just started shooting, and did my first match with my only pistol, an XD Mod2 subcompact 3" in 9mm. I've been shooting Limited Minor, and that gun will not be competitive in the long run. However, using it is giving me the time to figure out just what I want to do. I'm of the mindset that you buy once and cry once. I will be keeping my XD in the bag for a while to see where I fall. Good luck and remember ask away on here, there is such a vast array of knowledge to be had from the shooters here it is awe inspiring 

9 hours ago, superluckycat said:

Welcome to the addiction.  Now say goodbye to your expendable income and time.

Well.. this is nothing new really.. it's just a new direction.. i've been pretty hardcore into drag racing for a good while, and honestly.. guns are less expensive! lol 

Broski: I too subscribe to the buy once cry once school of thought.. but it's the figuring out WHAT to buy is the issue. I certainly don't mind plopping down the money for the right tools.. 

I would start shooting with Your Favorite gun - whichever gun you currently possess

that you feel most comfortable with.

Shoot at least a couple matches with that, and see where it goes from there.    [emoji4] 

That's what I did, but I started with the only gun I had which was my carry Glock 26.

Shot 2 matches, then realized this sport is for me. And went full r-tard and got a shadow custom from Czc custom shop.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

90lxracer, to give you an example of what I have experienced. A member here on the forum, was going to be at the match I shot last weekend. He ended up letting me shoot the match with his SP01 Shadow. Even offered to let me use his Glock.

On 2/22/2017 at 9:31 PM, Broski said:

90lxracer, to give you an example of what I have experienced. A member here on the forum, was going to be at the match I shot last weekend. He ended up letting me shoot the match with his SP01 Shadow. Even offered to let me use his Glock.

Can't go wrong with a Shadow

On 2/22/2017 at 7:25 PM, bsand said:

That's what I did, but I started with the only gun I had which was my carry Glock 26.

Shot 2 matches, then realized this sport is for me. And went full r-tard and got a shadow custom from Czc custom shop.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you look at my other thread about going to observe.. I've done the same thing.. lol maybe worse..