Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for specific type of guns

wblacksh

My uncle is looking to get into shooting clays and knows I am into pistol shooting. He asked if I would ask around. He is looking for a couple of 20ga over under shotguns. Does anyone know a good place for these? Or what some of the better brands are? I admit I know very little about shotguns. I will probably put a WTB ad in the classifieds but thought I would start here first.

Thanks in advance.

-Wayne

Edited by wblacksh

if he is wanting to get into clay target shooting, any of the disciplines, steer him into a 12ga. lots of quality guns out there, and generally the cheap guns may work ok for hunting (carried alot, shot little), but they will not typically last for target shooting. most important thing with shotguns is how the gun fits the shooter. if the gun doesnt fit well 2 big things happen, #1 is they beat the snot out of you, and 2nd the real important one is you cant hit anything with a gun that doesnt fit you.

Nothing wrong with a 20ga, or 410 for clays. The best thing to do is go shopping, try on as many as possible. The lower grades of B guns are typically the same basic gun, just pritty. I'm not a fan of autos for clays, but i hate chasing empties, lots of great autos to choose from. Again, go touch,feel, and mount...

a 20 is a bunch better than a 10g lol. now my honest opinion is the 12 is still better. easier to get good patterns from, shoot the same light loads the 12 has less recoil, and the 12 can handle heavier loads if desired. now for general shooting, a 20 will work just fine at sporting, skeet, and trap, though can be found lacking at longer sporting shots or yardage in trap. dont even consider a .410 for anything other than skeet, and then only if your pretty dang good, plus .410 ammo is rediculously expensive. and again, gun fit is everything!

If I were you I'd be looking for a browning or a beretta. Both are great guns and will last a lifetime or two if properly cared for. Look at models like the SX lines in browning and the 682's in beretta. Remember with both brands there are fancy models that aren't any better of a gun but cost a bunch more. Also check the bulletin board at local clubs that are clay oriented. I've seen some really good deals there in the past. Best of luck

• 1 month later...

shooterspagetx.com has a forum page that has items for sale. Trapshooter.com is another option.

I am a big fan of Beretta guns. Currently have a 686, have had 682, 687EELL 391 390 and use a 1301 now in 3 Gun.

The biggest difference in the 680 series is the ascetic factor. Essentially they are mechanically the same. IE: the 682 and high end 687 series have replaceable barrels shoulders, and some models have an adjustable trigger shoe (which can be added aftermarket) colegun.com is the source for beretta parts.

Good luck

Edited by Kmarsh1966

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...