Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

Has anyone tested this with Practiscore installed to see if they interact with other android devices and iOS devices as well? Also how long do they run in continuous mode (as in scoring all day) before needing to be recharged?

Bill, I was able to get the Nook Simple Touch and my Samsung Verizon android phone to sync scores back and forth using wireless network without issue.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We think the Simple Nook will be a preferred platform for the Android version. It works great in daylight and has a super battery life.

Rooting is hard though... or easy, but not obvious, and somewhat risky. I've "bricked" one Nook messing around with it for PractiScore testing, so proceed cautiously.

That said, the Android developer for PractiScore ports every version on to a Nook Simple to make sure it works right, as we do think it is a good platform when setup with Android. The main issue is screen refresh rates, so we have to take care to make sure the pages work right when displayed slowly.

Ken N.

TY64062

I realize it's not the intended use, but if there was a "practice" mode, do that the same shooter could keep shooting the same stage, and it could keep a record of scores and times, I think it would be handy - I've been creating fake shooters to practice dropping into prone, etc

We think the Simple Nook will be a preferred platform for the Android version. It works great in daylight and has a super battery life.

Rooting is hard though... or easy, but not obvious, and somewhat risky. I've "bricked" one Nook messing around with it for PractiScore testing, so proceed cautiously.

That said, the Android developer for PractiScore ports every version on to a Nook Simple to make sure it works right, as we do think it is a good platform when setup with Android. The main issue is screen refresh rates, so we have to take care to make sure the pages work right when displayed slowly.

Ken N.

TY64062

Ken...I thought I bricked my Nook the first time around...not responsive to anything. Well I contacted Barnes and Noble about the version upgrade to 1.1 and they said if it locks up you can do a soft reset...hold the power button pressed for 20 seconds, then release and press for 2 more seconds. It worked for mine.

The Nook Simple touch I have, I left on (but in sleep mode) for over 2 days and it was still over 85% battery life remaining. I was going to use it to score a small 3 stage shotgun side match last weekend, but had to cancel the match due to 20 degree weather.

FYI...The Nook simple touch is the tablet Ken and Company uses at Practiscore to test the android version on...and it's the tablet recommended by Ken for Android...but you will have to "root it" to get it to run applications instead of just being a eReader.

FWIW...to root my Nook, I first upgraded to version 1.1 (Nook original comes with 1.0.0, with an upgrade for 1.0.1) but bypassed 1.0.1 straight to 1.1, then root it using "touchnooter-2-1-31". Also had to purchase an "External" micro SD card reader to write the image on (my internal writer didn't work). I also purchased a new "Class 10" micro SD card for the image. Seems my older micro SD card wasn't fast enough the first time around.

Bottom line to root a Nook Simple Touch:

1) purchase an external MicroSD/combo reader ($15 at Best Buy)

2) purchase at least a class 10 micro SD card ($7 at Best Buy)

3) download WINIMAGE to write image on micro SD card

3) download touchnooter-2-1-31 image

4) upgrade Nook to 1.1

5) perform the root procedure

MAX OS X Lion, so no winimage. Suspect disk utility will do the same thing. Where is touchrooter and what is the root procedure. I've never had an android anything. Or what does Ken and company do to root one?

Nooter Web site for Touchnooter download.

Do a google search and you'll find the procedures. Here is what I used ...text version.

Edited to add: Text upload didn't work...

Here ya go in text...

1. Download TouchNooter from here: touchnooter-2-1-31.zip - Uploaded

2. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=touchnooter-xx-xx-xx.img of=/dev/sdcard (where xx-xx-xx is the version number)

3. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.

4. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

o If you wish to use Underclocking follow these steps

1. Download Underclock.zip from uploaded attachments

2. Unzip it and place the data folder in /nooter/

3. Check that the com.antutu.CpuMasterFree folder is in the /nooter/data/data folder

4. Check that com.antutu.CpuMasterFree.apk is in /nooter/data/app

5. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.

6. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.

7. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.

8. You should see the new TouchNooter boot screen, follow all instructions.

9. That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.

10. Upon boot unlock your screen.

11. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.

12. Enable Location Services when given the option.

13. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).

14. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).

15. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.

16. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.

17. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)

o At this time Market fails and you must wait for about a day future updates will fix this.

18. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.

o If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

o If market fails to load and/or you get a 401 error with YouTube redo steps 5 through 10 and if needed any steps from 13 through 18. This should fix the Market 1 day wait issue.

19. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.

20. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app

21. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

EDITED TO ADD: I don't take responsibility for a "Bricked" device. These are what I used to root the Nook version 1.1

Edited by Mark R

I thought more about how much I'd pay to simplify my life and save somewhere between 10 and 30 hours of hand scoring this season, and the price of a refurbished iPod touch started to look pretty cheap. I was interested in the Android tablet, but having to root it and run into potential software probs down the road made the iPod look even cheaper. Running everything on the same OS and using iTunes to transfer made it so cheap, I couldn't afford not to buy an iPod.

BB

I realize it's not the intended use, but if there was a "practice" mode, do that the same shooter could keep shooting the same stage, and it could keep a record of scores and times, I think it would be handy - I've been creating fake shooters to practice dropping into prone, etc

This is a good idea. And I've added it to our ToDo list.

Ken N.

We've released a new beta version for the Android. Grab it at practiscore.com

This fixes issues found with Fixed Time stages, among other issues reported by beta testers.

We will release another beta with minor changes Sun or Mon.

Also, the iOS Apple version update just was approved by Apple into the App Store. Practiscore 1.02 there.

It is a minor fix, fixing the problem with , used for decimal points in countries other than the U.S.

Update in the App Store app automatically.

Ken N.

TY64062

I thought more about how much I'd pay to simplify my life and save somewhere between 10 and 30 hours of hand scoring this season, and the price of a refurbished iPod touch started to look pretty cheap. I was interested in the Android tablet, but having to root it and run into potential software probs down the road made the iPod look even cheaper. Running everything on the same OS and using iTunes to transfer made it so cheap, I couldn't afford not to buy an iPod.

Probably a wise choice, but I got a lot of people at one club who already have android smartphones and tablets, so I have to get familiar with that side of it as well. Is there any non-specialized android tablet around that is wifi only and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Probably a wise choice, but I got a lot of people at one club who already have android smartphones and tablets, so I have to get familiar with that side of it as well. Is there any non-specialized android tablet around that is wifi only and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Post #15 has a link to a decent deal.

PractiScore runs just fine on a Kindle Fire. Android, large screen, WiFi, doesn't require rooting.

Apparently I'm going to have to go buy myself a tablet now. The wife is not keen on losing her Kindle to me 2 times a week :)

--jc

I think the nearest tablet, with good battery and daylight visible screen, is about $150...that's why i went with the Nook at $88-99.

wise choice, but I got a lot of people at one club who already have android smartphones and tablets, so I have to get familiar with that side of it as well.

I've had a member offer his personal iPhone for use during matches, but I'm a little leary of using member's personal devices for scoring. I like the idea of having all scoring devices dedicated to USPSA and with me (the MD/Stats guy) at the end of the match so it's a little easier to track down or correct a problem if there is one. That way, I also don't have to worry about someone's personal info being compromised or someone getting calls from the wife to pick up milk in the middle of scoring a stage.

BB

All, just remember, a kindle fire, ipad, iphone, or cheap *color* display on either an android or an ios device is going to *SUCK* in the royal sense, when used outdoors in bright sunlight.... Especially depending on the color pallet used. This whole idea over a Nook Simple seems much more plausible given both indoor and outdoor shooting. They use an e-ink display and the battery life is approx 3-4X what the color units are, not to mention they are *way* cheaper.

I'm off today to find a nook and root it.... from all I can tell with a the 1.1 firmware which has been officially release, and a little time, they root pretty easy....

Now what I *don't* know is how sluggish the e-ink display feels.... but we'll soon have an assessment of that....

from an ipad and android owner/user who lives with both every day, color in daylight/sunlight and readable is an oxymoron...

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

All, just remember, a kindle fire, ipad, iphone, or cheap *color* display on either an android or an ios device is going to *SUCK* in the royal sense, when used outdoors in bright sunlight.... Especially depending on the color pallet used. This whole idea over a Nook Simple seems much more plausible given both indoor and outdoor shooting. They use an e-ink display and the battery life is approx 3-4X what the color units are, not to mention they are *way* cheaper.

I'm off today to find a nook and root it.... from all I can tell with a the 1.1 firmware which has been officially release, and a little time, they root pretty easy....

Now what I *don't* know is how sluggish the e-ink display feels.... but we'll soon have an assessment of that....

from an ipad and android owner/user who lives with both every day, color in daylight/sunlight and readable is an oxymoron...

Alan

I've considered that, and only experience will tell. However, data entry in Practiscore is so easy, that even if we decided we couldn't use it at matches, I think I'd use it at home to enter data from score sheets. I think it'd cut my data entry time in half.

Besides, I've spent more for things that did less than a extra iPod.

BB

...I've considered that, and only experience will tell. However, data entry in Practiscore is so easy, that even if we decided we couldn't use it at matches, I think I'd use it at home to enter data from score sheets. I think it'd cut my data entry time in half....

Actually, I think it's slower for that. Practiscore is really meant for "writing" (tapping) down scores on a "scoresheet" (tablet, smartphone) one target at a time. With ezws, you just enter the total number of A's, C's, steel, penalties, etc, and time. If you can operate 10-key, you can keypunch 4-5 scoresheets a minute. With practiscore, you still have to painfully tap out 2-A on T1, A-C on T2, 2-A on T3, etc. Not a big deal on an el-prez, but it becomes a grind on a stage with 15 paper targets, or even a standards with just 3 paltry targets but each one needs 8 hits. It's decidedly not meant for entering scores from paper scoresheets

Edited by wgnoyes

...I've considered that, and only experience will tell. However, data entry in Practiscore is so easy, that even if we decided we couldn't use it at matches, I think I'd use it at home to enter data from score sheets. I think it'd cut my data entry time in half....

Actually, I think it's slower for that. Practiscore is really meant for "writing" (tapping) down scores on a "scoresheet" (tablet, smartphone) one target at a time. With ezws, you just enter the total number of A's, C's, steel, penalties, etc, and time. If you can operate 10-key, you can keypunch 4-5 scoresheets a minute. With practiscore, you still have to painfully tap out 2-A on T1, A-C on T2, 2-A on T3, etc. Not a big deal on an el-prez, but it becomes a grind on a stage with 15 paper targets, or even a standards with just 3 paltry targets but each one needs 8 hits. It's decidedly not meant for entering scores from paper scoresheets

I have a lot of shooters who aren't sticklers about adding the columns on their scoresheet, so my first task after registration is to go through the scoresheets and total columns. At the end of a long day at the range, it can be pretty tedious. I could see this being less tedious, especially if I can get my wife to call out the hits and times.

Time will tell. First match is the 25th, so we'll see how it works there.

BB

It's a little faster, no, a lot faster then the palm scoring devices. Changes screen pretty fast and since you will change shooters, squads, stage while in slow mode, not really an issue. Target scoring seems pretty fast, especially with scrolling screen instead of palms screen change after 6 targets.

Edited by Mark R

Damn, I'd be jumping up and down bashing heads together to get people to add up the hits. I insist on the same thing for string times, as well. :)

This is one of my pet peeves, also. As I like to say "It's NOT rocket surgery!". You hear excuses like "Well, the next shooter was getting ready", blah blah blah. It takes maybe 5 to 10 seconds to add the columns. And it's the ONLY way you can be sure you scored it correctly. I can't seem to knock that into some people's heads. Maybe if there was an AR-15 on the table and they lost it because some other scorer didn't add up THEIR columns correctly, they'd get the point.

That's why I'm so excited about PractiScore. The Palm stuff was a possibility, but Palms were pretty much dead before I started shooting USPSA. While they were state of the art (more or less) during their heyday, they're small, not sunlight readable, and hard to read in any case. With these large format touch-screens, all this goes away.

I've started collecting truly terrible scoresheets in what I call my "Scoring Hall Of Shame". I'd like never to have to deal with this again. The comments under the image explains each one. Bill, of course, will instantly recognize the problem on all these sheets without reading the text :)

Damn, I'd be jumping up and down bashing heads together to get people to add up the hits. I insist on the same thing for string times, as well. :)

I've considered that, but they're all armed and half of them can outshoot me.rolleyes.gif

BB